Current time: 18/04/2024, 12:07 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseytravel Mobility Buses
Merseytravel Mobility Buses
During the mid-1990s, Merseytravel funded a series of mobility buses for people who couldn't use normal buses as a result of a disability. They had two man crews and were fitted with lifts and a telephone for passenger enquiries.

Here's the routes I have information for:

Liverpool:
945 - Croxteth to City Centre - route unknown
950 - Thornton to Paradise Street Bus Station via Moor Lane, loop around Rimrose Valley Road, Brownmoor Lane, Coronation Road, Oxford Road, Waterloo, Sandringham Road, Seaforth Road, Rimrose Road, Marsh Lane, Washington Parade, Stanley Road, Boundary Street, Limekiln Lane, Vauxhall Road (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
951 - Netherton to PSBS via St. Oswalds Lane, Glovers Lane, Gorsey Lane, Sefton Road, loop around Hatton Hill Road and Field Road, Church Road, Harris Drive, Orrell Road, Linacre Lane, Stanley Road, Washington Parade, Merton Road, Hawthorne Road, Westminster Road, Great Homer Street, Norton Street (Tuesdays only)
955 - Croxteth to PSBS via Park View Road, Willow Way, Middle Way, Altcross Road, Storrington Avenue, Dwerryhouse Lane, Muirhead Avenue East, Broad Lane, Utting Avenue, Cherry Lane, Stanley Park Avenue, Utting Avenue, Anfield Road, Robson Street, Breck Road, Everton Road (Tuesdays and Thursdays)
960 - Crosby to City Centre via Netherton - route unknown
975 - Norris Green to City Centre - route unknown

St. Helens:
920 - Rainford to St. Helens via Rainford Junction, Windle, Dentons Green, Cowley Hill (Wednesdays and Saturdays)
921 - Billinge to St. Helens via Chapel End, Carr Mill, Clinkham Wood, Haresfinch (Wednesdays and Saturdays)
922 - Garswood to St. Helens via Downhall Green, Tithe Barn Hillock, Ashton Cross, Haydock, Blackbrook, Chain Lane, Merton Bank (Mondays and Thursdays)
923 - Bradleigh Estate to St. Helens via Wargrave, Newton-le-Willows, Belvedere Estate, Earlestown, Derbyshire Hill, Ashton Green (Tuesdays and Fridays)
924 - Old Whint to St. Helens via Blackbrook, Broad Oak, Parr (Wednesdays and Saturdays)
925 - Sutton to St. Helens via St. Helens Junction, Worsley Green, Derbyshire Hill, Parr (Mondays and Thursdays)
926 - Clock Face to St. Helens via Sutton Manor, Marshalls Cross, St. Helens Hospital, Peasley Cross (Tuesdays and Fridays)
927 - Rainhill Stoops to St. Helens via Rainhill, Holt, Nutgrove, Thatto Heath, Ravenhead (Tuesdays and Fridays)
928 - Grange Park to St. Helens via Thatto Heath, Ravenhead, Sutton Heath, Peasley Cross (Mondays and Thursdays)
929 - Eccleston Park to St. Helens via Mill Brow, Knowsley Road, Pigot Street (Wednesdays and Saturdays)

I don't have any info on any Southport or Wirral mobility services, so if there was and someone can fill in the blanks, that would be great. I'm also unsure when the services were introduced and how long they lasted, other than that the 960 and 975 were withdrawn October 1996
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Merseytravel Mobility Buses
I remember the St Helens routes being run by converted/adapted Nationals by CMT.
I remember those mobility National's used to use the stops by Great Charlotte Street/Clayton Square but never really thought about trying to get on one. Just wondering were these restricted to pass holders or to specific users like Merseylink is now or could anyone use these services?
(16/10/2019 09:30)Gillmoss 0324 Wrote:  I remember those mobility National's used to use the stops by Great Charlotte Street/Clayton Square but never really thought about trying to get on one. Just wondering were these restricted to pass holders or to specific users like Merseylink is now or could anyone use these services?
In St Helens, they stopped in Hall Street at the side of the Hardshaw Centre (opposite the Taxi Rank). Not sure about what was valid on these routes though.
(16/10/2019 09:30)Gillmoss 0324 Wrote:  I remember those mobility National's used to use the stops by Great Charlotte Street/Clayton Square but never really thought about trying to get on one. Just wondering were these restricted to pass holders or to specific users like Merseylink is now or could anyone use these services?

According to the timetables I have, normal people could use them as well and normal Merseytravel fares were charged
Crosville won the first tenders for this service, but they didn't last long as Merseytravel stripped Crosville of the tender quite quickly, & just before the Crosville Liverpool depot was shut.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Merseybus converted 5 Leyland National 2s in anticipation for this work, 6147 to 6151 XLV147-151W. One was allocated to each division- Southport's being 6149 which saw little use. Their conversions were undertaken by MCW in Birmingham.
C&M Travel[later CMT] won mobility bus tenders in North Liverpool & Sefton, what i remember of them most never operated every day of the week, it was mostly one or two journey's on certain days

Don't think Wirral had any mobility routes[i certainly don't remember any], don't think Southport had any routes either

Merseybus conversions i believe were expensive, & ended up with a headache when Merseybus didn't win any mobility tenders

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
I remember MTL must have had at least one route torwards the end as Marshall Dart 7633 V633DVU was built as a mobility bus with multiple wheelchair bays but later got reseaated to normal capacity by Arriva.

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
(29/11/2019 13:44)buses7675 Wrote:  I remember MTL must have had at least one route torwards the end as Marshall Dart 7633 V633DVU was built as a mobility bus with multiple wheelchair bays but later got reseaated to normal capacity by Arriva.

For some strange reason that bus use to always be used on the 156 st helens - hardwood.

User(s) browsing this thread: