Current time: 19/04/2024, 18:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
(05/02/2019 10:40)EDB325 Wrote:  The story hasn't made the Times yet, but I notice First group's share price rose by about 3% yesterday. There's possibly a bit of skullduggery going on.

If they do sell, who would be the possible buyers ? Stagecoach could be interested in Bolton since it conveniently adjoins Wigan, but the Competition Regulator wouldn't be very keen on them getting their hands on Queen's Road, and Oldham might not appeal. Arriva probably won't consider any expansion in the current Brexit situation.

Do Transdev have the financial clout to come into the mix I wonder ?

So far, Transdev seem to have avoided undertaking major operations in large cities. For example, they run into Leeds, but represent only a minority fraction of buses in that city.

Who else is there ? Go-Ahead, Rotala, Delgro, ?????

My own preference would be a return to local municipal operators, but that won't happen under a tory government.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
If First make a clear threat, could TfGM takeover as an arms length operation? Like TfL had to years ago when Harris Bus went bust?
(06/02/2019 20:54)acocker96 Wrote:  If First make a clear threat, could TfGM takeover as an arms length operation? Like TfL had to years ago when Harris Bus went bust?

Short answer: NO. The 2017 Act specifically rules this out. Land Transport legislation and financing in Greater London still bears little relation to the rest of the country. Even then, Harris Bus represented a much smaller market share in London than First does here.
(06/02/2019 21:12)Brickmill Wrote:  Short answer: NO. The 2017 Act specifically rules this out. Land Transport legislation and financing in Greater London still bears little relation to the rest of the country. Even then, Harris Bus represented a much smaller market share in London than First does here.

Ah I didn’t know the law had since changed. All I know of the act really is that it made franchising lawful/easier.

I’m going to make the prediction that if a sale does happen (these rumours do come up every other year after all) that all 3 will be sold separately if First does sell up.
(06/02/2019 21:16)acocker96 Wrote:  Ah I didn’t know the law had since changed. All I know of the act really is that it made franchising lawful/easier.

I’m going to make the prediction that if a sale does happen (these rumours do come up every other year after all) that all 3 will be sold separately if First does sell up.

Official statement has been issued to staff but interestingly this time there's no denial about selling up

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Its all very interesting considering they've just be successful in there bid for 12 new Electric Buses for Service 582 Leigh - Atherton - Bolton, but the Vantage bid by TfGM appears to have been unsuccessful.
(06/02/2019 21:41)NorthernCounties Wrote:  Official statement has been issued to staff but interestingly this time there's no denial about selling up

It reads like a careful disclaimer so that they can’t be accused artificially trying to raise their share price.
Dont forget that if this story is actually true and Oldham Depot is sold then whoever gets it can't do much with it due to the fact the building itself is a listed building, the same I think with Queens Road.
(07/02/2019 09:14)M60lad Wrote:  Dont forget that if this story is actually true and Oldham Depot is sold then whoever gets it can't do much with it due to the fact the building itself is a listed building, the same I think with Queens Road.

They will pull down the depot but keep the office`s like white city retail park keep some walls and East Didsbury with the clock tower

They was planning few year ago to sell and move to the British gas depot and the land being part of https://www.oldham.gov.uk/info/200891/in...ldham_mump

There new plans for Prince`s gate coming soon.

https://www.oldham.gov.uk/info/200891/in...am_mumps/2
12 new electric buses coming to first

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 59 Guest(s)