Current time: 24/04/2024, 12:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
(05/01/2019 15:43)wirralbus Wrote:  Brian Souter has already said he would walk away from the Tyne and Wear model of reregulation , which would be awkward to implement without one of the biggest public transport groupings.

How does the Tyne & Wear model differ from GMCA's franchising option? Anecdotal evidence suggests Stagecoach are treating Tyne & Wear similarly to (Gtr) Manchester in that investment has suddenly come to a standstill and the current corporate policy is to sting captive markets to cross-subsidise (can I say that?) bus wars and fares supression in politically correct areas/boroughs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(05/01/2019 16:29)Brickmill Wrote:  How does the Tyne & Wear model differ from GMCA's franchising option? Anecdotal evidence suggests Stagecoach are treating Tyne & Wear similarly to (Gtr) Manchester in that investment has suddenly come to a standstill and the current corporate policy is to sting captive markets to cross-subsidise (can I say that?) bus wars and fares supression in politically correct areas/boroughs.

Thats Nothing at all to do with Arriva or Merseyside
(06/01/2019 01:38)mr t Wrote:  Thats Nothing at all to do with Arriva or Merseyside

Maybe not straight away but nothing has been ruled in or out by the Liverpool City Region yet , hence Arriva and Stagecoach pushing into areas they previously havent operated in for a while .
(06/01/2019 08:01)wirralbus Wrote:  Maybe not straight away but nothing has been ruled in or out by the Liverpool City Region ydet , hence Arriva and Stagecoach pushing into areas they previously havent operated in for a while .

The council and merseytravel cant afford it so won't happen
(06/01/2019 08:35)mr t Wrote:  The council and merseytravel cant afford it so won't happen

Isn't that why they started this bus alliance which arriva and stagecoach are in , in which merseytravel have an input into certain things with the operators which in turn would stop the regulation of the services again?
(06/01/2019 11:49)motormayhem1 Wrote:  Isn't that why they started this bus alliance which arriva and stagecoach are in , in which merseytravel have an input into certain things with the operators which in turn would stop the regulation of the services again?

One thing we could have set in stone is 4 major timetable change dates set into the calendar , Last Monday in January , First Monday in April , First Monday in September and First Monday in November. Only changes after that should be allowed between them dates is Emergency work to cover operators that have gone out of business.

Hopefully the bus alliance will stand up , but it needs the operators not to tread on each other in the process , bus wars should never happen again.
I hope there isn’t going to be another bus war in Wirral. I think Arriva would of gotten away with it if they had perhaps extended the 83A in to Liverpool or Woodside, which could save it waiting around for 20 minutes in West Kirby I don’t know. As it was an already existing route, I imagine this wouldn’t have caused any problems. Yet withdrawing that and extending the 407 sends a message out as direct competition to Stagecoach. We’ve already lost one QBP on the 1/2, who knows the 471/2 could suffer next.
Arriva and successor companies have been on the 472 for about just short of 30 years now , Pensby Road was not natural to them that route came about as a result of a bus war back in 1989/1990 im sure . Someone could tell us the full potted history,
(06/01/2019 22:20)wirralbus Wrote:  Arriva and successor companies have been on the 472 for about just short of 30 years now , Pensby Road was not natural to them that route came about as a result of a bus war back in 1989/1990 im sure . Someone could tell us the full potted history,

I think 1988-89 was about the time when Merseybus introduced a 472 Mon-Fri although ironically I seem to recall Crosville ran the service on a Saturday although I think it was all part of the wider Woodchurch Road corridor competition at the time. I know they both competed on the Woodchurch Estate 70/70A services.
(06/01/2019 23:39)St Helens Rider Wrote:  I think 1988-89 was about the time when Merseybus introduced a 472 Mon-Fri although ironically I seem to recall Crosville ran the service on a Saturday although I think it was all part of the wider Woodchurch Road corridor competition at the time. I know they both competed on the Woodchurch Estate 70/70A services.

Wasn't that due to an agreement after a short lived bus war with Crosville/Merseybus & Goldstar trading as Busman Buses, Crosville got the 41/70/70A[now 41/41A/42] on a permanent basis, withdrew from the C10, 37A & Monday to Friday 72A, Merseybus got the daytime 472 with Crosville operating it on Saturdays, Merseybus already had the peak hour routes 417/418 which went via the M53 & Wallasey Tunnel, also Merseybus kept the Liscard/Woodside-Chester via Ellesmere Port routes 9C/10C, later revising them into the 1C New Brighton-Chester direct.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)