Current time: 19/04/2024, 09:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Route History
RE: Route History
(01/07/2018 12:32)MTL0201 Wrote:  Correct, my 1977 MPTE Liverpool area timetable book has LUT as a joint operator on the 39/317/320 routes, the 317 was withdrawn in 78 when the Liverpool-St Helens rail frequency was improved which just left the 39 & 320.

39 was hourly Liverpool-Tyldesley, with 2 hourly extentions to Manchester.
317 made a combined 15 minute frequency with 39 & 320 St Helens-Liverpool.
320 was every 30 minutes.

Journey time was just over 45 minutes Liverpool-St Helens, after d-reg when the 39 became the 34, journey time was still 45 minutes but the 34 almost always arrived early, 34 was early over most of the route quite often back in the day, always ended up waiting a few minutes at Astley, Leigh, Newton Le Willows-St Helens, Leigh was were the driver changes took place.

The 39 was wholly operated by LUT.
The 317 was jointly Ribble and St Helens Corporation (2 buses each).
The 320 was jointly Ribble, St Helens and Wigan Corporations but operated by Ribble Liverpool (2 buses) and LUT (4 buses) although Wigan Corporation sometimes took up one of LUT's workings to balance out mileage. LUT also ran peak hour duplicates to the 320 between Liverpool and St Helens but used service number 317, probably to avoid confusion with the through service to Wigan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
The 418 now Birkenhead-New Ferry has an interesting history started out in early 80s as

18 Seaview Road Garage-Mill Park via Birkenhead Park-Bidston-Beechwood[or Ford as it was then]-Upton-Arrowe Park-Prenton-Rock Ferry-Bebington-New Ferry-Bromborough, think the original route went direct via New Chester Road to Mill Park, December 85, 18 was complemented by the

17 New Brighton-Clatterbridge, via Rake Lane then 18 to Bebington Station & 10 to Clatterbridge
19 New Brighton-New Ferry via Seabank Road-Poulton Road-then 18 to Bebington Station then to New Ferry Shorefields, those days buses went straight down Bebington Road in New Ferry before the New Ferry part was pedestrianised.

17 & 19 were short lived being withdrawn at d-reg, 18 was originally not registered so 118/119 Arrowe Park-Mill Park was introduced, before 118/119 was cut to Arrowe Park-Bebington Oval when at the 11th hour Merseybus registered the 18 with a new 18A which diverted via Spital, & extended to New Brighton, evening & Sunday service was 118/119.

Late 80s Merseybus withdrew the 18A & diverted the 18 via Liscard Road to Seacombe Ferry replacing the 15 Seacombe-Liscard

Mid 90s, 18 renumbered 18A diverted at Birkenhead Park to Woodside then Seacombe-Liscard-Grove Road partly replacing 501/502 Woodside-Wallasey Circulars

Late 90s, 18A renumbered 18 & cut to operate Mill Park-Woodside with new low floor darts introduced

Arriva renumbered 18 to 418 with a 419 via Spital in 2001, route stayed unchanged until last year.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(01/07/2018 14:30)enrag2000 Wrote:  The 39 was wholly operated by LUT.
The 317 was jointly Ribble and St Helens Corporation (2 buses each).
The 320 was jointly Ribble, St Helens and Wigan Corporations but operated by Ribble Liverpool (2 buses) and LUT (4 buses) although Wigan Corporation sometimes took up one of LUT's workings to balance out mileage. LUT also ran peak hour duplicates to the 320 between Liverpool and St Helens but used service number 317, probably to avoid confusion with the through service to Wigan

I recall being on the last 39 out of Liverpool once and the door on Arab V sticking half open at Prescot. We had to wait for half an hour for a following Ribble 320 to take us to St. Helens where thankfully they had held the last short journey 39 (Arab IV)to Leigh) for us. Dont know what happened to people going on beyond Leigh mind.
Just thinking how close the current 38 West Kirby-Mill Park route is to the old PTE 28 when it went West Kirby-Mill Park, the main differences are St James Church-Bromborough Cross the 28 went down Laird Street, Borough Road, down the Bedfords to New Chester Road & direct to Bromborough Cross, were the 38 goes via Claughton Village, Park Road South, then down Derby Road, Greenway Road, Bebington Road, Old Chester Road, Bebington Road then around Bromborough Pool & Croft Retail Park, but the rest of the route are similar 28 used to serve Bromborough Rake & Plymyard Avenue as the 38 does, also both are the same route from St James Church to West Kirby.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
It is very close to the old 28 route and also the old 40 route which was a shortened version of the 28 service when the 28 was withdrawn the 38A going to Overchurch Rd just like the 40 did and if I am not mistaken (I maybe wrong and if I am I will accept that I am) both the 40 and 38A serve the Sandbrook Estate
(03/11/2018 14:19)CKC 312L Wrote:  It is very close to the old 28 route and also the old 40 route which was a shortened version of the 28 service when the 28 was withdrawn the 38A going to Overchurch Rd just like the 40 did and if I am not mistaken (I maybe wrong and if I am I will accept that I am) both the 40 and 38A serve the Sandbrook Estate

Its intresting how these routes get remade to there old routes or similar after years of change, begs the question why change in first place like senario with ex Avon routes
The 141 was originally the LUT 67 Earlstown to St Helens via Burtonwood and its short journey 65 Earlstown - Burtonwood. These were renumbered 667 and 665 at the start of the GM era. I seem to remember that at one time they were operated by Arab IV but later in the sixties they were mainly Plaxton RE dual entry/exit boneshakers. Twice a day the route varied along Green Lane to serve Burtonwood Primary School.
The route linked Earlstown, Collins Green, Burtonwood, Capper Neils works, Bold Colliery, Bold Power St and St.Helens Junct then through the south of St.Helens to the town centre. I was never mad busy in my day, except on Friday when it was Earlstown Market.
My last recollection of the 667 and 665 they were being operated by Plaxton Derwent Leopards in the eighties.
I believe the route out of St Helens was via Peasley Cross Lane, Sutton Road, then as current route. I know that was the routing of the 141 just after dereg.
(05/11/2018 22:17)St Helens Rider Wrote:  I believe the route out of St Helens was via Peasley Cross Lane, Sutton Road, then as current route. I know that was the routing of the 141 just after dereg.

Lived on the route for 20 yrs and never used it. Once the pit and the power station went it was even more an answer to an unasked question, plus I hated the old Plaxton REsDodgy
(03/11/2018 14:19)CKC 312L Wrote:  It is very close to the old 28 route and also the old 40 route which was a shortened version of the 28 service when the 28 was withdrawn the 38A going to Overchurch Rd just like the 40 did and if I am not mistaken (I maybe wrong and if I am I will accept that I am) both the 40 and 38A serve the Sandbrook Estate

40A went via Sandbrook .

40 went straight direct from Moreton Cross

User(s) browsing this thread: