Current time: 23/05/2024, 20:06 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva Strike
RE: Arriva Strike
The problem is that so many smaller competing operators have fallen by the wayside over the few years. Had strikes of this nature have happened 15 or 20 years ago, there would have been healthy parallel competition, so the effect wouldn't have been as stark.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I have a feeling Arriva will offer the Drivers the pay rise they are after now as am sure Arriva will not want to lose the increased revenue on the run up to Xmas

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(17/11/2017 10:52)Barney Wrote:  As far as I am aware no Arriva bus driver has been made redundant since the company was established and the biggest problem that these "cowboy operators" (Avon, Cumfybus, HTL etc.?) is recruiting and retaining staff. There aren't many days of the week when I don't see Arriva (or Stagecoach) training vehicles on the road.

Cowboy operators is a bit of a strong term, but what makes you think Stagecoach don't have a high turn over of staff?? The fact you keep seeing the driver trainers out on the road suggests they probably do. I know certainly with Stagecoach Manchester there's a couple of smaller depots that have a waiting list for internal transfers (so never advertise externally) but the main depots are always recruiting drivers. The fact they are willing to take on Eastern Europeans who speak little or no English and have some interesting driving standards just backs that up.
(26/11/2017 08:48)Mayneway Wrote:  Cowboy operators is a bit of a strong term, but what makes you think Stagecoach don't have a high turn over of staff?? The fact you keep seeing the driver trainers out on the road suggests they probably do. I know certainly with Stagecoach Manchester there's a couple of smaller depots that have a waiting list for internal transfers (so never advertise externally) but the main depots are always recruiting drivers. The fact they are willing to take on Eastern Europeans who speak little or no English and have some interesting driving standards just backs that up.

I would say Stagecoach Gillmoss has a high turnover of staff, half of Arriva Green Lane are ex Stagecoach Laugh

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
It was said at one point somewhere on this forum that Avon staff moved to Stagecoach (Rock Ferry) and Stagecoach staff moved onto Arriva (Laird Street).

What is the consenus of opinion from the driving staff on the forum who pays the better wages in the industry.
Most people stick with Arriva in St Helens because the vast majority of them use Arriva tickets so the smaller operators are of no use. That in itself brings up issues on strike days for many routes (except the HTL 17/30 which can accept these tickets) where people will try to get on with these tickets, Merseytravel themselves have made no effort to allow those tickets to be used on these services on strike days which should show you how little they care about that matter. The issue with retaining staff simply comes down to pay, especially at the operation I currently work at where you get paid barely over the living wage. Couple that with sub standard conditions, buses and not being paid for everything you do, is it any wonder drivers leave for either better paid independents and Stagecoach or Arriva?

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
(26/11/2017 14:20)CX06 EBK Wrote:  Most people stick with Arriva in St Helens because the vast majority of them use Arriva tickets so the smaller operators are of no use. That in itself brings up issues on strike days for many routes (except the HTL 17/30 which can accept these tickets) where people will try to get on with these tickets, Merseytravel themselves have made no effort to allow those tickets to be used on these services on strike days which should show you how little they care about that matter. The issue with retaining staff simply comes down to pay, especially at the operation I currently work at where you get paid barely over the living wage. Couple that with sub standard conditions, buses and not being paid for everything you do, is it any wonder drivers leave for either better paid independents and Stagecoach or Arriva?

Arriva operate the closest bus to them or the fastest. There are alternatives available though just walking that little bit extra. The most expensive return that I know of is £3.20 which is Link 329 to Warrington. It is hardly expensive in the grand scheme of things. Hattons aren't exactly dear (according to the prices on their website). I could understand it if the smaller companies were charging like £5.50 for a return (hint hint) but they aren't.
As has already been said, the smaller companies simply can't keep up with the rate of pay that Arriva has. Probably due to the fact Arriva don't sell returns on most routes increasing profits massively but that is where the independants jump in at a lower price but they can't compete on times so lower price + less passengers due to Arriva loyalty. You just can't pay drivers the same. It would make companies go into liquidation.
You say that but the difference between two independents on Merseyside is £2 p/h, they operate exactly the same kind of business with mostly tendered work with the odd commercial route, it has little to do with competing with Arriva and just pure greed on their part, trust me. You say it isn't expensive but honestly deny someone an Arriva ticket and watch 8/10 of them moan they have to pay £1.90. Add in the latest argument of people buying Arriva passes on Walrus cards and then seemingly not being able to grasp they bought an operator specific ticket and not a Merseytravel one.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
I bet Stagecoach 86C is running with vastly increased loads in the Childwall area at the moment. No 75 78 or 79 on a Monday combined with cheaper fares as well.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(26/11/2017 08:48)Mayneway Wrote:  Cowboy operators is a bit of a strong term, but what makes you think Stagecoach don't have a high turn over of staff?? The fact you keep seeing the driver trainers out on the road suggests they probably do. I know certainly with Stagecoach Manchester there's a couple of smaller depots that have a waiting list for internal transfers (so never advertise externally) but the main depots are always recruiting drivers. The fact they are willing to take on Eastern Europeans who speak little or no English and have some interesting driving standards just backs that up.

I did not use the term "cowboy operators"; I was merely quoting and responding to a previous comment.

User(s) browsing this thread: