Current time: 20/06/2024, 11:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Northern Rail
RE: Northern Rail
(11/12/2015 23:34)507009 Wrote:  The 150/2s aren't being withdrawn (worse luck) and I don't see any seats being removed from these units either. They will need a refurbishment though so perhaps they will at least replace the seats with something better.

Whilst I have a certain amount of sympathy for 6ft plus persons capacity must be the priority both on trains and buses. Not much point in providing six foot accommodation as you could not reserve it for the tall person and every other person would make a beeline for it.
Sorry mate you'll have to stand!

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
Find all posts by this user
(12/12/2015 06:28)childwallblues Wrote:  Whilst I have a certain amount of sympathy for 6ft plus persons capacity must be the priority both on trains and buses. Not much point in providing six foot accommodation as you could not reserve it for the tall person and every other person would make a beeline for it.
Sorry mate you'll have to stand!

I have more sympathy for those disabled and elderly who are 6ft+
Out of interest how much is a car and a refurb would you all say? And when would manufacturers start giving discounts?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(12/12/2015 18:27)Dentonian Wrote:  Out of interest, how many suburban stations have disabled access? Because of the significant (off-peak) fare saving and free tram, I see a lot of families carrying buggies and push chairs up and down the 40 or so steps at Reddish North, rather than catch a 203, but I don't think I've seen anyone carrying a wheelchair....yet.

Personally, I have no problem with seats on Pacers, and I'm almost 6ft.

I know exactly what you mean and what your asking. I can't answer but I can say that your missing people who are on their own and confined to a wheelchair. I don't know if Reddish North has facilities for the disabled i.e a ramp or lift but I know Worsley has nothing but steps.
(12/12/2015 06:28)childwallblues Wrote:  Sorry mate you'll have to stand!

Er, nope. I'll just continue to avoid Northern's diesel services like the plague wherever possible. Many people over six feet don't have that luxury of course.
(12/12/2015 20:27)Dentonian Wrote:  No. Just steps at Reddish North as well. Not a problem going into Manchester, but coming out, wheelchair bound passengers would have to carry on to whichever tne next station with facilities are, and then get a train from there back to Reddish North. Unless lucky with connections, that would be very time confusion, but at least its still free.

Reddish South is another one thats only steps and a timetable. No ramp, lift, ticket office or undercover waiting area though Wikipedia says it's rarely

I've struggled on the electric trains but its atleast you can get a seat even on the 1006 St. Helens-Liverpool Sth Pway via Lime St
With all these new trains coming here, I wonder whether the idea for class 230s from VivaRail, converted from London Underground D stock, has now been overtaken by events?
Well these could be done as a short term measure , new trains take time to be built and get tested and what happens if one of the electrificsation projectas takes longer to do than planned and the diesel cascade doesnt happen on time , so many ponderables .
(12/12/2015 22:10)Dentonian Wrote:  Reddish South is rarely used. Its the other station on the "Parliamentary line" and serves even less passengers than Denton - or to give it its more accurate title: M60, Junction 24 Station.

What a name M60 Juction 24 station, why aren't all stations named after a motorway
(13/12/2015 16:27)RedPanda Wrote:  What a name M60 Juction 24 station, why aren't all stations named after a motorway

Oh come on we need to give the stations individuality , the name best suited them at some time in the past . The M60 hasn't been there for that long when you think of how long the railways have been around for.
(14/12/2015 20:33)Dentonian Wrote:  Just in case no-one has recognised my sarcasm; Denton Station does, of course, bear the name of the town it supposedly serves. For those not familiar with the area, it is just under a mile from Denton town centre, towards Manchester and on the opposite side of the town to most domiciles. It could be argued that it is close to the Dane Bank estate that constitutes the better off of the three Denton wards, but not only does Dane Bank have its own bus service to Manchester, large parts of it are within walking distance of one or both major routes with 16 buses per hour between them. The main relevance of the M60 is not only that Junction 24 is indeed adjacent to the Station, and therefore the station has been mooted as a P&R site, but the Junction itself forms a physical barrier between Dane Bank and the Station, meaning walking is not an option. To give you an idea, even if you only had cyclists rather than 44 ton lorries competing for space, would you use a two foot wide "footbridge" on Barton Bridge on a windy day?

Not really no if there was a picture of a bike in a red circle and if the wind was 30 something mph then I'd again say I probably wouldn't use the Barton Bridge footbridge
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)