Current time: 18/05/2024, 14:30 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Speke Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Speke Depot
(24/10/2020 01:31)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  Interesting. I know Selwyns operate a few of the school services too

Edit: Selwyns historically ran the 500 before it came under Arriva operation, so this will be a temporary reunion!
Selwyns may be able to do the same as GoAhead are doing, using excess NatEx drivers. Selwyns seem to have plenty of deckers as well. Between the depots, i'm sure they will find 3 buses.

Just putting it out there but would it not be easier to divert the 82A via Brunswick and then there is no issue with the 500. It would save Merseytravel a bit of money and keep buses and drivers for routes which may actually need it rather than maintaining a high number of buses in an already overbussed area. If there become more shortages, these 3 buses would be much better in other areas since the loss of service would be detrimental to the areas served.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Given that Selwyn's are operating it, then no.
(24/10/2020 07:58)iMarkeh Wrote:  Selwyns may be able to do the same as GoAhead are doing, using excess NatEx drivers. Selwyns seem to have plenty of deckers as well. Between the depots, i'm sure they will find 3 buses.

Just putting it out there but would it not be easier to divert the 82A via Brunswick and then there is no issue with the 500. It would save Merseytravel a bit of money and keep buses and drivers for routes which may actually need it rather than maintaining a high number of buses in an already overbussed area. If there become more shortages, these 3 buses would be much better in other areas since the loss of service would be detrimental to the areas served.

I did ask Arriva why they decided to operate the route via Park Road instead of Brunswick and their response was that it wasn’t viable. I also made the suggestion that Park Road is already well served and if anyone wanted a Halton service, they could get the X1 or they could get the 82 and connect with the 82A when it joins back onto Aigburth Road. I really do fail to see how operating it via Park Road will make things better, as it’s now longer, less reliable and probably provides no benefit to the Park Road area.

To keep with the topic though, I’m sure in the past Merseytravel funded the Brunswick section of the route, and since the 500 is now a Merseytravel contract, I think it would’ve been easier and cheaper to divert the 82A via Brunswick and suspend the 500.

Then again Arriva will still be funding the route, the reason it’s a Merseytravel contract is probably that they can source a good operator to run it. Due to this, it will still be under Arriva instruction and finance, so I don’t think they’d be willing to do that
Arriva have said it's not viable, meaning there is little custom on that section and therefore no income. So begs the question why run it there for no money. It's a business they are running not a fantasy bus game
(24/10/2020 11:24)MPTE1955 Wrote:  Arriva have said it's not viable, meaning there is little custom on that section and therefore no income. So begs the question why run it there for no money. It's a business they are running not a fantasy bus game

Thats why I’m saying have the 82A run there, and suspend the 500, which I don’t believe is viable itself at the moment until the LCR is out of Very High restrictions. Therefore, they are saving money by not having to run the 500 and are using existing resource to cover otherwise unserved territory. I have seen people board at Brunswick station so it still needs to be served in some way.
(24/10/2020 00:26)N271CKB Wrote:  Looks like Arriva have had to throw another route in, from 1st Nov, the 500 will be operated by Selwyns, on behalf of Merseytravel.
Times are unchanged, so thats a fair few drivers they need to find.

I’m assuming this is temporary like the X1 due to staff issues
(24/10/2020 07:45)T42 PVM Wrote:  I wonder what Depot will operate that, While Wirral is closer it could be cheaper to operate from their Manchester Depot due to Tolls.

Runcorn surely
(24/10/2020 17:29)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  Runcorn surely

I am expecting Runcorn now myself due to them operating National Express routes so most likely have the spare Drivers for it

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(24/10/2020 01:31)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  Interesting. I know Selwyns operate a few of the school services too

Edit: Selwyns historically ran the 500 before it came under Arriva operation, so this will be a temporary reunion!

I used to drive that route for Selwyns many years ago, used x reg cadets and was very few stops on it too
(24/10/2020 17:34)T42 PVM Wrote:  I am expecting Runcorn now myself due to them operating National Express routes so most likely have the spare Drivers for it

If the timetable is anything to go by, it could be their Wirral depot. As that's the contact details given in the timetable.

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)