Current time: 18/05/2024, 11:30 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva Strike
RE: Arriva Strike
(24/11/2017 22:52)Bevan Price Wrote:  I think that the "Monopolies & Competition" people would not be happy to let that happen. Remember that Arriva was not allowed to keep Gillmoss when MTL sold out. They might allow Stagecoach to buy one or two depots, but I think that a different owner might be needed for the others.
I reacon Stagecoach would take St Helens and Speke depots. Those depots have too many goldmines along those routes.

I do wonder what Merseytravel are thinking sometimes regarding these strikes. If they keep going, Merseytravel will have to look at moving tenders elsewhere. Concessionary passes will go down massively (depending how often ARriva are evaluated. afaik MTrav dont pay per pass, they check your takings over a few weeks or months and give so much per month until it next gets re-evaluated). What would TC have to say as well about not running services. I know it is only certain days but can't it all be classed under the buses are regularly not turning up therefore fines given and licence removed? Arriva have little public support anymore (judging off posts I see). The only people supporting the drivers are those who benefit from their wage for example wives, husbands and children etc. No public support, losing 1, 2, 3 days money per week + more as people are buying period tickets with other companies. I can see drastic cuts ahead to routes as a result of the strikes and the enhanced drivers wages. Marginal routes have no chance really after all this. January changes should all be registered by now so we should see what pops up. If there are only minor changes, I will be shocked.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(25/11/2017 06:48)iMarkeh Wrote:  I reacon Stagecoach would take St Helens and Speke depots. Those depots have too many goldmines along those routes.

I do wonder what Merseytravel are thinking sometimes regarding these strikes. If they keep going, Merseytravel will have to look at moving tenders elsewhere. Concessionary passes will go down massively (depending how often ARriva are evaluated. afaik MTrav dont pay per pass, they check your takings over a few weeks or months and give so much per month until it next gets re-evaluated). What would TC have to say as well about not running services. I know it is only certain days but can't it all be classed under the buses are regularly not turning up therefore fines given and licence removed? Arriva have little public support anymore (judging off posts I see). The only people supporting the drivers are those who benefit from their wage for example wives, husbands and children etc. No public support, losing 1, 2, 3 days money per week + more as people are buying period tickets with other companies. I can see drastic cuts ahead to routes as a result of the strikes and the enhanced drivers wages. Marginal routes have no chance really after all this. January changes should all be registered by now so we should see what pops up. If there are only minor changes, I will be shocked.

Stagecoach could take over Southport probably as there would still be 25% of the routes worked by other operators, and would offer a better operation for routes 2 & X2, but dont forget that Rotala are flexing thair muscles at the moment, looking for oportunaties in Manchester and would surely jump into Merseyside if the price was right, I don't think Transdev or zfirst eould be bothered
This is all hypothetical, but I think Stagecoach would want GL as well, not so sure on Bootle, but they wouldn't be allowed them all anyway. I think they would take LS and sell RF. Don't think it will come to that anyway, but time will tell.
It might not come to this idea I'm going to put forward as well, but one that would not involve the Competition Commission. Supposing Arriva cuts back on a few services, Stagecoach opens a new depot somewhere to take on new routes they register, to replace any withdrawn Arriva ones. And then opens another until they have dominance in Merseyside. No acquisition of any Arriva assets.

But as I say, unlikely it'll even come to that.
Lets just hope there is a speedy resolution to the problems at Arriva .
(25/11/2017 06:48)iMarkeh Wrote:  I reacon Stagecoach would take St Helens and Speke depots. Those depots have too many goldmines along those routes.

What are Merseytravel thinking?, not much as far as I can see we haven't heard much out of them so far about strike action
(25/11/2017 15:26)wimdebusse Wrote:  What are Merseytravel thinking?, not much as far as I can see we haven't heard much out of them so far about strike action

I think the hierachy at Merseytravel have enough on there hands because of the Merseyrail guards.

As a good majority of Arriva's work is commercial they really wouldnt have much to say about this dispute.
(25/11/2017 16:12)wirralbus Wrote:  I think the hierachy at Merseytravel have enough on there hands because of the Merseyrail guards.

As a good majority of Arriva's work is commercial they really wouldnt have much to say about this dispute.

Speak to HTL and the likes. Try to get limited service on some areas. Even divert one or two bus routes on strike days to help people. Arriva have a lot of 'alternative bids to tender' where a route would have gone out to Tender but Arriva have agreed to include it in their existing timetables under de minimis. These areas could be covered by other companies as Merseytravel were going to send them out to tender anyway. Even try sunday service in some areas. Some places are left with no service at all. I would have expected Merseytravel to have looked into the possibility of supporting some vital Arriva services. Even if they are all just short hopped or something to the closest connection to another companies route.
Like an hourly service from Speke to South Parkway via JLA or Hourly 699. 1 bus jobs and timetable them in a way that drivers breaks are accommodated for. People who had the option of using the bus or driving have basically now all lost faith and will be driving for the foreseeable. It is losing bus passengers left right and centre which then goes against all of Merseytravels promotions. It would gain Merseytravel a lot of support doing this as well. If the December strikes go ahead as planned, there will be a lot of people boycotting Arriva. I can also see a lot of independents trying to jump on routes which are currently 'arriva only' areas as they know people have lost faith in Arriva so will jump on another company.
As someone who works at a smaller firm, I would resent being sent out on an Arriva route while we are being paid well below what they are even before what they are striking for, I think that would be the case for many fellow drivers. Arrivas strike make St Helens a ghost town, having driven around there on many of the strike days and will probably have a very negative effect on many of the tenders up there with prolonged strikes.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
(26/11/2017 00:01)CX06 EBK Wrote:  As someone who works at a smaller firm, I would resent being sent out on an Arriva route while we are being paid well below what they are even before what they are striking for, I think that would be the case for many fellow drivers. Arrivas strike make St Helens a ghost town, having driven around there on many of the strike days and will probably have a very negative effect on many of the tenders up there with prolonged strikes.

It may be annoying but Stagecoach run on a lot of Arriva routes. Link Network run along the 329. HTL run the 156 which is the same route as Arriva until Blackbrook. There is no reason why things like that can't happen. Yes it is annoying but the public think better then of your company and it opens up competition possibilities and traders will think much better of you.

St Helens is strange on a strike day. Partly due to the lack of buses but also those who can use other services are unaware of their options. Independants maybe run hourly on Arrivas 20 minute sections. When you head out and wait for a bus, the likelihood that you see the smaller bus, know minor details about it etc is very low. People know Arriva and stick to it rather than walk an extra few hundred metres and get another bus or even check online to see what else is available. Look at how busy the 31 gets. I can tell you for certain that all those people do not get the Link 329 or Hattons 140. Whether that is due to people not knowing of the services or due to the running times, obviously only the 31 passengers will know however the point stands that all those passengers do not walk the extra minute or two to the local service or simply don't know the other companies exist or think the route goes no where. That is the problem with every area right now in Merseyside and Runcorn. If people knew of the alternatives, very few would end up inconvenienced. I think independants may start expanding their services soon knowing of the commuter times and the money made on those trips.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)