Current time: 18/05/2024, 06:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva Strike
RE: Arriva Strike
With persistent rumours about depot closures , depots losing work etc. Strikes are just going to play into management's hands.

Should this help to close a depot , will the strike have been worth it....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Apparently if it is not resolved next week the plan is to go on 2 day strikes throughout November every Sunday/Monday!
Lets face it, most of Runcorns routes could easilly be displaced elsewhere. X30 is already moving to Chester. 82a & X1 could go to Speke. 79C to Green Lane or Speke. 110 would probably end up with St Helens. Only the 1, 2 & 3 left Speke is closest but has only deckers or St Helens Or Chester are both around the same distance then.

I dont see how strikes would help close a depot but if it were to happen, ^^^ is what I have heard will happen.
The 79c would go to speke too if it did happen but theres no plans to close it yet.
Arriva Bus ticket acceptance on Northern trains

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/news/t...rn-trains1

Credit: Northern Rail Website.

Certainly makes sense given both bus and rail operators are Arriva companies.
(22/10/2017 11:49)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Arriva Bus ticket acceptance on Northern trains

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/news/t...rn-trains1

Credit: Northern Rail Website.

Certainly makes sense given both bus and rail operators are Arriva companies.
It does, especially if you consider that Northern tickets are accepted on Arriva bus services when Northern are on strike.
(21/10/2017 18:11)iMarkeh Wrote:  Lets face it, most of Runcorns routes could easilly be displaced elsewhere. X30 is already moving to Chester. 82a & X1 could go to Speke. 79C to Green Lane or Speke. 110 would probably end up with St Helens. Only the 1, 2 & 3 left Speke is closest but has only deckers or St Helens Or Chester are both around the same distance then.

I dont see how strikes would help close a depot but if it were to happen, ^^^ is what I have heard will happen.

Going back many years, I believe a strike did end up resulting in a depot closure. The disasterous strike at Central Scottish in 1989, caused by the plans to merge central with Kelvin for privatisation, saw the Central network crippled for weeks. The merger did take place, eventually, and in a bid to return the firm to profitability, KCB, as the new firm was called, closed East Kilbride depot. During the strike, the East Kilbride area saw Strathclydes buses move in, and passengers never returned to KCB after the strike ended. As a result, East KKilbride closed; it's now a car dealership.

It's also interesting to note that in a website detailing the history of Central SMT, called http://www.centralsmt.co.uk, that on page five of the history, it suggests East Kibride was also the most militant depot in the Central Scottish fold.

Here is that said page: http://www.centralsmt.co.uk/Story/Story_5.html
Wasn't the demise of Crosville in Liverpool (in the 1980s I think) also the result of a dispute/strike?
(22/10/2017 20:55)507022 Wrote:  Wasn't the demise of Crosville in Liverpool (in the 1980s I think) also the result of a dispute/strike?

The crosville strike in Liverpool was a disaster for the company in the long term, crosville gained a lot of tendered work so needed extra buses quickly, what they could get was past its best & some drivers refused to work them, a driver got suspended & union called immediate walkout, management met with staff & managed to agree to get it resolved but within days staff were out on strike again So crosville closed the depot & sacked all staff, sad as a lot of drivers they had taken on didnt want to strike, crosville only lasted 3 more years before it was broke up,
There was another strike in 1990 at wrexham for crosville wales which also was a disaster for both sides, no cw buses ran in wrexham for weeks, all drivers sacked & depot closed, the wrexham drivers went mad when crosville chester started operating to wrexham, it took crosville wales years to recover in wrexham as independent operators had a field day filling in routes especially wrights of wrexham, wrexham depot was huge & because of this i think did maintenance for various depots including oswestry, after the closure some wrexham routes were run by mold depot until the depot they have now was fully operational, in meantime oswestry had become remote so by 1992 oswestry & abermule transferred to mindland red north, if any of this is wrong please correct me, thanks
I believe Crosville Liverpool depot was quite militant, using any excuse to go on strike, the catalyst for the last strike was a batch of ex West Midlands Fleetlines brought in to cover routes Crosville gained at D-Reg, the Union refused drivers to drive them on all day duties as they had no power steering, however Crosville regularly used vehicles without power steering before so refused Union request, i do remember the sit in at Love Lane depot after the staff got sacked, some of the sacked drivers got taken on by Merseybus.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)