Current time: 26/06/2024, 10:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Northern Rail
RE: Northern Rail
Notice yesterday the Liverpool - Preston Service did not run for a few hours in the morning as someone had been hit by a Train

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
If the service is severely late can see the service turning round at Wigan North Western on a 4 minute turnround , otherwise the service runs late all day , with passengers conveyed on the next available service from Wigan to Preston , passengers for Euxton Balshaw Lane and Leyland will be the ones most affected by this .
Find all posts by this user
The service does have some fairly slack timetabling at the Lime Street/South Parkway end though.
(07/10/2015 15:53)St Helens Rider Wrote:  The service does have some fairly slack timetabling at the Lime Street/South Parkway end though.

The problem is the double track section from Euxton to Wigan which can make an already late departure from Preston , quite late at Wigan if it has to wait for a Virgin service to pass in both direction before crossing over .
Does not help on some hours that the service is timed identical to a Freight Path. The 1630 from Preston is one example - due at Wigan at 1651 - guaranteed most nights there is a Freight train coming through at this time, thus delaying the Liverpool service (if it isn't delayed already).

Have also noticed on the Wigan - St Helens Central stretch that it tends to only take around 12 minutes but actually timetabled for 15 minutes.
I think there used to be a long term PSR up from Springs Branch to just short of Bryn and it was a very long 20 mph maybe the times havent been changed i think that speed limit has gone now with the improvements .
Just been told that Northern are loaning some Class 47s and a Class 57 for Crimbo Extras in the Manchester area

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
(14/10/2015 22:21)T42 PVM Wrote:  Just been told that Northern are loaning some Class 47s and a Class 57 for Crimbo Extras in the Manchester area

Wonder whether they will be like the services last year that ran to and from Preston to Manchester .

Really all hinges on Farnworth Tunnel and how they are getting on there , this tunnel really has been a thorn in Northern , TransPennine Express and Network Rail back.
Trains are going to be loaned from Direct Rail Services (DRS), Units being 47790, 47805, 47813, 47818, 47828, 47853 and 57301

Have Network Rail given Northern and TPX an idea when the line can be expected to be a two track railway between Salford Crescent and Bolton.
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 12 Guest(s)