Current time: 14/05/2024, 22:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
(23/04/2019 12:58)mrd97 Wrote:  I know this isn’t strictly Arriva related, but the 38A has a layover time in West Kirby of nearly half an hour. By cutting out Saughall Massie, and having buses go straight from Mill Park back to Plymyard Avenue (instead of wasting time running around Eastham Village), I’m confident a round trip could be done in 3 hours, saving a bus (currently uses 4). This saving could be used to partially tender an evening 492/5, which I think is a good idea personally. This will also clean up the incredibly asymmetrical evening timings on the 38/38A.

To expand, I think removing services from places like Caldy sets a bad president. They would be completely isolated. Raby, Town Lane, Kings Lane and large parts of Wallasey have lost entire services in the past couple of years. What I’ve suggested, Saughall Massie will be far from cut off, it already gets 2 bus routes evening and Sundays which is not needed. Even in that circumstance I don’t think the Moreton circulars needs to run until 11pm, just keep a Sunday daytime service which could save another bus and be better utilised elsewhere
The changes you propose only save 15 minutes. Plus the 24 minute layover (39 mins) so more savings would be needed somewhere. It would be worth noting that the 38 is commercial. The funding it gets is for Croft - Eastham and diversions via Sandbrook and Saughall Massie. With this in mind, it may not save as much.
If it was cut back to Bromborough Rake as well as cutting Saughall Massie (not suggesting it before people jump on this post) then it would be possible to save the bus.

I think it's worth saying that we all know what should be done but the powers that be either want to make their books look good, keep councillors quiet or just can't be bothered dealing with the issue. How much of what Merseytravel does makes sense? Let's face it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot - iMarkeh - 23/04/2019 13:19

User(s) browsing this thread: 23 Guest(s)