Current time: 15/05/2024, 01:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
There was a Streetlite on a 471 from Liverpool at around 16:30 this afternoon. A bit cosy on board from Birkenhead I’d imagine!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Apologies if this has already been answered, but is all hope for an evening/Sunday service on the Noctorum/Ford estates now lost forever? Arriva (or any local operators for that matter) seemingly do not have the resources nor Merseytravel the money to run such a service, so I seem sceptical. Just over a year ago, there were 3 buses an hour eve/sun in both directions.

Plus is there a new provision for Poulton Road now the 408 has been withdrawn?
The 106 is being rerouted to cover bits of the 408. No more 492/495 unless it is commercial the bids from arriva and stagecoach came back to high in November so had to be left in favour of keeping daytimes covered everywhere instead
(14/12/2018 22:22)mrd97 Wrote:  Apologies if this has already been answered, but is all hope for an evening/Sunday service on the Noctorum/Ford estates now lost forever? Arriva (or any local operators for that matter) seemingly do not have the resources nor Merseytravel the money to run such a service, so I seem sceptical. Just over a year ago, there were 3 buses an hour eve/sun in both directions.

Plus is there a new provision for Poulton Road now the 408 has been withdrawn?
I don't know when most of the passengers were but between the 492 and 495, there was around 7,000 pax per 4 weeks. There is money there somewhere. The issue is, if anyone took it over, they would be 'invading' in Arrivas area and is it worth the grief that comes with that? Avon weren't bothered as that was their business style but Stagecoach like to stick to what they know and A2B only do tenders. All other companies aren't interested.

The wirral needs a new bus company who are fearless and are happy to invade areas. That is the issue with the wirral at the moment. Look at all the links that have been lost due to each company wanting to stick to their areas.
The problem now is that if it was to operate of an evening and sunday would it have the passengers any more after so long .

The areas of the Noctorum and the Beechwood Estate nearest to Upton Station you have the frequent 437 which is every 20 minutes at that time , the lack of a 492/5 must have put extra bums on seats on that service into Birkenhead at least.

A new bus company you having a laugh , this all seems like its set up for the metro mayor to introduce something radical in the years ahead.
(14/12/2018 23:01)iMarkeh Wrote:  I don't know when most of the passengers were but between the 492 and 495, there was around 7,000 pax per 4 weeks. There is money there somewhere. The issue is, if anyone took it over, they would be 'invading' in Arrivas area and is it worth the grief that comes with that? Avon weren't bothered as that was their business style but Stagecoach like to stick to what they know and A2B only do tenders. All other companies aren't interested.

The wirral needs a new bus company who are fearless and are happy to invade areas. That is the issue with the wirral at the moment. Look at all the links that have been lost due to each company wanting to stick to their areas.

I agree with what you say. From recollection, the Avon 492/495 usually had a half decent load in the early evenings and was usually absolutely packed Sunday daytimes. I would of thought at least Sunday daytime would be an attractive proposition for Arriva, like the 464 for example.

And the 106? Jesus. Poulton has gone from having 4 buses an hour to Birkenhead to a local tendered route every 70 minutes. Wirral isn’t half being shafted when it comes to bus provisions. We seem to be the borough who have suffered the most cuts to services, probably as Merseytravel have prioritised Liverpool in this period of austerity. I doubt we’ll ever see the level of coverage we had 10 years ago
I agree with you maybe a Sunday Daytime service provision for the 492/5 during shopping hours only maybe 10 till 5

The services that they operate on a Sunday must be the most profitable , why did it take so long for them to realise there was traffic on the 464 on a Sunday though .

A tendered service every 70 minutes is probably trying to keep the route down to One vehicle , arent they looking at bus in the other direction numbered 107 looking at the proposals .
(15/12/2018 14:12)wirralbus Wrote:  I agree with you maybe a Sunday Daytime service provision for the 492/5 during shopping hours only maybe 10 till 5

The services that they operate on a Sunday must be the most profitable , why did it take so long for them to realise there was traffic on the 464 on a Sunday though .

A tendered service every 70 minutes is probably trying to keep the route down to One vehicle , arent they looking at bus in the other direction numbered 107 looking at the proposals .

I’d argue provisions were still inadequate after the network review, there’s even less now due to the demise of Avon. There’s definitely profit to be made for a Sunday daytime service on 492/5, I doubt Arriva would consider it as they have cut their routes a tad in recent months.

And I’d certainly hope so. I’ve had a look at the timetable, tinkering with it, and full circular service on the 106, with the reverse numbered 107, going straight back to Liscard from Wallasey Village is possible with a 90 minute frequency in both directions, still a PVR of 1 bus.

But that’s possibly wishful thinking, A bus in one direction only, every 70 minutes is simply not a good enough provision for this area, considering the services it has had in days gone by. It’s went from looking at a replacement for the 124/5 evening Sunday service, to getting any bus at all Monday - Saturday. I know it can’t be helped, but it’s still woefully inadequate. Notwithstanding the 10/10A haven’t been replaced, and they cut across Poulton Road too.
4 Liverpool Hybrids are in the yard today.
Which ones? 13plate or 66 plate

User(s) browsing this thread: 15 Guest(s)