Current time: 26/04/2024, 14:33 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Birkenhead Depot
(22/05/2016 19:43)Barney Wrote:  I read in Arriva's Journey magazine that the two-way radio system is now operational in Laird Street and the plan is to extend this to other depots in due course. Has anyone experienced this in operation yet?

I'm not a 100% sure but I heard a voices while I was on a B10 in St Helens and it sounded very much like radio communication. At the time it was kind of busy and I was toward the back of the bus.
As for other vehicles in the St Helens area and the wider fleet I haven't heard anything.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
The two way radio would be very useful for incidents of service disruption and in the case of Arriva at Birkenhead early warning of Merseyrail problems which can give the cross river services a bit of a hard time .
Find all posts by this user
(22/05/2016 20:38)Dentonian Wrote:  I must be missing something here - what do you mean by "two-way radio system"?

When Arriva took over MTL's operation in 2000 one of the first things it did to reduce costs was to remove the two-way radio communication equipment that was fitted to the vehicles. Instead driver's were expected to use their own mobile phones in the event of an emergency, breakdown etc.

It was only as recently as last year that Stagecoach Gillmoss's buses had two-way radio equipment installed.

My understanding is that most metropolitan areas such as Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham have had this equipment forever.
(22/05/2016 20:23)RedPanda Wrote:  I'm not a 100% sure but I heard a voices while I was on a B10 in St Helens and it sounded very much like radio communication. At the time it was kind of busy and I was toward the back of the bus.
As for other vehicles in the St Helens area and the wider fleet I haven't heard anything.

St Helens dont have the Radios fitted yet, Just Birkenhead

I did hear the Radios get used last week to inform Drivers not to pick someone up at a certain stop as he was trying to get on with Paint witch is banned from Arriva Buses.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
(22/05/2016 23:59)T42 PVM Wrote:  St Helens dont have the Radios fitted yet, Just Birkenhead

I did hear the Radios get used last week to inform Drivers not to pick someone up at a certain stop as he was trying to get on with Paint witch is banned from Arriva Buses.

Guessing that was Birkenhead
It's a shame that the text messaging facility from the depot to the ticket machines wasn't utilised.

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
4173 was on the 407 this morning.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(23/05/2016 11:53)R557 ABA Wrote:  It's a shame that the text messaging facility from the depot to the ticket machines wasn't utilised.

Perhaps they didn't enable the texting on the ticket machines because they're prone to being on a go slow
(29/05/2016 06:52)RedPanda Wrote:  Perhaps they didn't enable the texting on the ticket machines because they're prone to being on a go slow

Coupled with the intense dislike of the present merseytravel smartcards.
(29/05/2016 07:48)wirralbus Wrote:  Coupled with the intense dislike of the present merseytravel smartcards.

Mine can take time to register on the Wayfayer machines but works fine on others

User(s) browsing this thread: 13 Guest(s)