Current time: 19/04/2024, 18:21 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tipping
Tipping
What is your take on tipping .

The average tip in New York is 19.1% of the transaction value .

In the London the average tip is 11.8%

Does this show that we have staff who earn a higher wage or are we a bit stingy on rewarding good service here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Tipping
A bit of both really, some people are just more generous than others.

On the buses I people do give tips sometimes too, often cakes/sweets etc rather than cash but if certainly does make you remember those people and you look out for them that bit more sometimes!

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
its rare i give a tip to a driver however i have done it, on the odd chance i have sent in a long e.mail to a company about how good a certain driver is, i do like to see drivers go the extra mile so when i se it i always try to do something so they continue to do it

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
The concept of tipping in the USA if very different to here, and employers get away with paying ridiculously low wages in service industries, instead relying upon staff to make-up the shortfall through tips.

Some unscrupulous employers in the restraunt trade tried it here, claiming that even though they were paying below the national minimum wage, staff couple make up their hourly rate through tips. The courts soon gave that scam short shrift.

When I regularly did weekend coach driving runs, I could usually rely on £25 in tips if I went the extra mile . Worst tippers - Young people. Best tippers - old ladies.
I'm not a fan of tipping, never have been. This isn't the USA.

Certain taxi drivers can be bad for expecting tips, even here in Liverpool, despite not doing anything to earn one. Some have even short-changed me on occasions, effectively taking a tip for themselves. I generally don't tip apart from in restaurants where it might be expected or if an employee goes the extra mile, simply because money doesn't grow on trees.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
To be honest, most of the time people are getting paid to do there job, so unless they have done something out of the ordinary I don't see why they should be tipped.
The difference is in the culture. If you don't leave a tip in a restaurant or diner in New York, or round the taxi fare up a few dollars, you are considered to be extremely stingy. Not by the person receiving the tip (although they won't be impressed) but by people in general. It is accepted that people particularly in the food service and bar sectors are on terrible wages and need a reasonable sum in tips to make a living.

Likewise in some cultures if you offer a tip to a taxi driver or similar it is liable to cause offence, or they just won't understand what you're trying to do as it is not part of their country's way of doing things. Japan for example.
(15/06/2013 19:27)126th street Wrote:  The difference is in the culture. If you don't leave a tip in a restaurant or diner in New York, or round the taxi fare up a few dollars, you are considered to be extremely stingy. Not by the person receiving the tip (although they won't be impressed) but by people in general. It is accepted that people particularly in the food service and bar sectors are on terrible wages and need a reasonable sum in tips to make a living.

Likewise in some cultures if you offer a tip to a taxi driver or similar it is liable to cause offence, or they just won't understand what you're trying to do as it is not part of their country's way of doing things. Japan for example.

Plenty of stingy posters on this thread. A week waiting table at national minimum wage might persuade them to reflect though.
(15/06/2013 20:51)DVL418 Wrote:  
(15/06/2013 19:27)126th street Wrote:  The difference is in the culture. If you don't leave a tip in a restaurant or diner in New York, or round the taxi fare up a few dollars, you are considered to be extremely stingy. Not by the person receiving the tip (although they won't be impressed) but by people in general. It is accepted that people particularly in the food service and bar sectors are on terrible wages and need a reasonable sum in tips to make a living.

Plenty of stingy posters on this thread. A week waiting table at national minimum wage might persuade them to reflect though.

Funny enough, I have been in a really low paid job with no opportunities for tips in the past and for longer than 1 week. Nobody should go to work and expect to think that they have the divine right to be tipped. Did you all know that tips could be counted as taxable income as well, I'm not saying its right, but they are.
Thereby lies the problem , this is another job where you seem to see a lot more Eastern Europeans doing because to them its a decent wage to what there compared to whereas most of what i call the old population of this country wouldnt work for that sort of money .

The influx of Eastern Europeans has changed the job markets now .

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)