Current time: 16/04/2024, 05:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oakwood Travel (Classic Bus North West)
RE: Classic Bus North West
It will be interesting to see what vehicles are used for this ambitious service. Reliability of them will be the key plus as it is a direct express service I would have thought coaches with their extra comfort, luggage space and 100km/h speed limit would be more advantageous to sell the service.

Also the point that there will be no pass revenue as it is an express could bolster the route. Another marketing point I would look at to help sustain the route, would be to get together with local hoteliers in Blackpool and create packages for people to board overnight.

All in all I wish CBNW the best of look with this project and, hopefully, they will look at other express services to Southport (like the former Cumfy and ABC Travel X7) or the Lakes even.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(25/09/2013 07:59)motormayhem Wrote:  I think theres quite a few bendies unsold if i remember correctly.

Arriva London sold MAs 2, 3, 8, 17, 28, 30, 35, 57, 67 and 72 to North West Bus Sales during August. These had all been stored at Derby.
Although their website makes comparison with train times and fares, it's worth looking at the equivelant services provided by National Express. I decided to test this out, by putting into the national express website, that I wanted to leave Blackpool on 4th october (the day Red Rocket launches), at roughly 10:00, and return 18:00. Nat ex fares differ at various times of the day, but, the 10:00 328 working calls at Preston, and Bolton, before reaching manchester 1 hour 50 minutes later. The return leg leaves Manchester at 18:15, and reaches Blackpool at 19:55, taking 1 hour 40 minutes. Same calling points apply.

The combined fare was either a combi funfare at £12.30, or a standard return at £13.00

The 10:30 redrocket has no specific arrival time in Manchester, but as they reckon the journey time is 90 minutes at the longest, we'll accept it will be that. The return leg leaves Manchester 18:00, and both call at the Trafford Centre, before reaching Blackpool 90 minutes later. So, the whole round trip is 180 minutes long, compared to 2 hours 30 minutes (210 minutes) on National Express, and the return fare is also £2 cheaper.

Red Rocket perhaps don't realise it, but they may end up targeting National Express as well as the trains.
Once National Express realise there is competition , watch there fares drop as a promo.

National Express is also a recognised coach brand as well , tried and trusted .
(27/09/2013 17:40)robertclark125 Wrote:  Red Rocket perhaps don't realise it, but they may end up targeting National Express as well as the trains.
(27/09/2013 18:28)wirralbus Wrote:  Once National Express realise there is competition , watch there fares drop as a promo.

National Express is also a recognised coach brand as well , tried and trusted .
I'm sure that ClassicBus are aware of what they're doing; in their defence, they have a deal with Blackpool Pleasure Beach (something like a discounted price for the fair and travel to and from Manchester) at the moment, alongside wi-fi on their RedRocket vehicles (unsure if National Express provide that feature), so that could benefit them in the long run regarding potential passengers. I'm sure that people will enjoy the choice of services - which, as suggested, will see fares change to benefit them. There's nothing wrong with competition. I certainly wish ClassicBus, as a small business, good luck with their venture and hope that this is the start of a new era for them.

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
I wasn't meaning they may not realise they're competing with Natex in a bad way, but it was meant to be a positive comment, in that they may get more custom than they expected. I have to also admit, given the choice between the two, I'd choose red rocket over Nat ex to get to Manchester.
(27/09/2013 20:00)robertclark125 Wrote:  I wasn't meaning they may not realise they're competing with Natex in a bad way, but it was meant to be a positive comment, in that they may get more custom than they expected. I have to also admit, given the choice between the two, I'd choose red rocket over Nat ex to get to Manchester.
Ah - my apologies, then! What you wrote sounded negative.

Do people have to pre-book seats when using National Express? If so, that could be another thing which works to ClassicBus' advantage - people can just "get on and pay", thus any booking fees would be eliminated (again, if relevant).

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Sounds great, isnt there a limit to the route length on fixed fare paying routes? They may need to run this on a tacho, not good for the driver as it reduces possible overtime
Im sure the only limitation was the rules applying to tachographs , if the drivers are renumerated good enough overtime shouldnt be an issue .
(27/09/2013 17:40)robertclark125 Wrote:  Although their website makes comparison with train times and fares, it's worth looking at the equivelant services provided by National Express. I decided to test this out, by putting into the national express website, that I wanted to leave Blackpool on 4th october (the day Red Rocket launches), at roughly 10:00, and return 18:00. Nat ex fares differ at various times of the day, but, the 10:00 328 working calls at Preston, and Bolton, before reaching manchester 1 hour 50 minutes later. The return leg leaves Manchester at 18:15, and reaches Blackpool at 19:55, taking 1 hour 40 minutes. Same calling points apply.

The combined fare was either a combi funfare at £12.30, or a standard return at £13.00

The 10:30 redrocket has no specific arrival time in Manchester, but as they reckon the journey time is 90 minutes at the longest, we'll accept it will be that. The return leg leaves Manchester 18:00, and both call at the Trafford Centre, before reaching Blackpool 90 minutes later. So, the whole round trip is 180 minutes long, compared to 2 hours 30 minutes (210 minutes) on National Express, and the return fare is also £2 cheaper.

Red Rocket perhaps don't realise it, but they may end up targeting National Express as well as the trains.

I've done a similar comparison on my blog too, looking at National Express and Northern Rail/TransPennine Express, the service however will be operated by two Mercedes Benz O530G's registered BD52 LNF and BD52 LNU.

Blog post: http://www.thenorthwestbusblog.co.uk/201...press.html

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)