Current time: 08/05/2024, 15:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
Am sure if Go North West wanted only 1 or 2 types of buses that they have in there group am sure First could move buses from Yorkshire and Manchester and it would not really be a hassle for them so look as Go got what they wanted so long as like for like like same type of bus and same age or life left in them. they may even get to lend buses from other go companies. I see lots of ex London buses making there way to Manchester
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(17/04/2019 17:26)Mrboo Wrote:  I see lots of ex London buses making there way to Manchester

I believe that there are some buses, parked-up with "For North West" stickers on them. Like everything else I will believe it, when it happens.
I think bringing in ex London stuff wouldn't help much as they would immediately need to be converted to Euro 6 regs if they are staying long term, the stuff coming out of London is 06-12 reg so nothing that is post the 2012 deadline. Whats likely but not until 2020 are brand new buses, what these will be and how many there will be obviously needs to be decided, tests of various demonstrators may take place as I understand that in GoAhead each fleet has its own independent buying policy hence why there is no group standard, and batches can gravitate between one manufacturer and another based on what the fleet believes is best at a particular time.

I would expect any demonstrations of vehicles to take place after the take-over over the Summer and Autumn months with delivery from Spring/Summer 2020 onwards. Suspect they will include both saloons and deckers, as to cascade Gemini deckers to North East and East Yorkshire is probably very likely as they fit in well into those fleets and both those decker fleets need upgrading.

Old B7RLE's will probably head for the secondhand market or the scrap mans torch, each being on a case by case basis based on the state of the vehicle.

Dealer stock is of course another option Go Ahead may try to use, e.g. purchased new ready made buses quickly from ready built stock, but again that would be up to local management if whats on offer is acceptable. Of course a fleet may also be needed while the Volvo B5LH vehicles undergo their refurbishments internally and also upgrading of engines, these are so I understand the first vehicles to be so treated and if the refurbishments of the East Yorkshire ones is anything to go by they will be to near Vantage specification with WiFi connectivity and tables on the upper deck.
(17/04/2019 23:26)gilesbus1 Wrote:  I think bringing in ex London stuff wouldn't help much as they would immediately need to be converted to Euro 6 regs if they are staying long term, the stuff coming out of London is 06-12 reg so nothing that is post the 2012 deadline.

There's nothing stopping Go-Ahead upgrading older ex London vehicle for QS to Euro 6 standards with Eminox exhaust system & Adblue or similar. Many operators are doing this where Clean Air Zones are being implement, with low emission funding it is a fraction of the cost of buying a brand new bus. As a large proportion of QS fleet will need to be replaced or upgraded, it may well be a good interim measure.
Regarding the upcoming service changes one thing that has sprung to mind is that after these changes it might mean an end to Solo operation at Oldham Depot as they won't actually need them anymore as the only routes that do actually need them at the moment are evening 415s and daytime 353/354s, no other routes actually need them although they do turn up every now and again on other routes, infact last week I had 53146 on 18:09 182 Manchester-Shaw service home from work (the bus on this duty spends its day on 6 Kirkholt Circular before heading dead to Shaw in the afternoon to do 182).
Go North West to Commence operations on the 2nd of June
63147 Wright Streetlite is on the 41 today.
(18/04/2019 06:03)M60lad Wrote:  Regarding the upcoming service changes one thing that has sprung to mind is that after these changes it might mean an end to Solo operation at Oldham Depot as they won't actually need them anymore as the only routes that do actually need them at the moment are evening 415s and daytime 353/354s, no other routes actually need them although they do turn up every now and again on other routes, infact last week I had 53146 on 18:09 182 Manchester-Shaw service home from work (the bus on this duty spends its day on 6 Kirkholt Circular before heading dead to Shaw in the afternoon to do 182).

What about the odd Solo out (53065) at Queens I guess First will keep hold of that one
(10/04/2019 21:54)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Is there some hint that there is no buyer for Bolton or Oldham, I know Julian Peddle stated that everything wasn't worth more than £1 in buses magazine, and it seems strange no announcement has been made on anything else, although Rotala yesterday refused to say anything on anything specific, but stated to expect a larger purchase to be made by them later in the year, is that also linked to the situation at Bolton and or Oldham? or have they something else in mind?

The bidders after all seem to be diminishing/vanishing, or can we expect an announcement to say that TfGM is taking it over in some kind of caretaker role?, or is it to be closed and other operators register across the lot and then Stagecoach would compensate in other area's by De-registering competing routes elsewhere in Scotland, South Yorkshire or Southern England? Which First possibly need in South Yorkshire or Central Scotland in order to return those subsidiaries to profit also? When I say this, I mean gradually withdraw the odd competing service here and there or pass on the odd linking service between territories onward, such as Perth - Stirling, or Barnsley - Leeds and then First register it?

I am sure if this did happen then Stagecoach could acquire assets separately such as Bolton depot and various vehicles on the secondhand market, as presumably they couldn't get enough stock internally quickly enough?

Or perhaps we have all misunderstood the situation with First and the sale only applies to Queens Road and the rest remains indefinitely with FirstGroup as the £11.2 Million alters the Manchester situation to profit allowing them to continue till that money has been exhausted? which would be approx two years.

I wonder whether around early February someone got wind of First discussing disposing Queen's Road depot, maybe seeing Go-Ahead involved, but duty-bound not to disclose this. This party might have assumed First were seeking to dispose of all Manchester depots to separate buyers and "leaked this rumour" accordingly.
(17/04/2019 13:14)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Its not that, that I am arguing, that bit is fair enough, but if they were in discussions with Go Ahead at that time and its likely they were, then why if you knew they were being sold with Queens Road depot, would you then move them to Bolton and Oldham rather than straight into Queens Road, that bit makes no sense, thats why I don't think the story is correct, but we will wait and see.

Indeed, if First had accidentally made the wrong decision regarding transfers out of Rusholme, I thought the error would have been transferring these buses direct to QR instead of BN/ON releasing other stock to QR.

Also, the price agreed for divesting QR would have been part decided by the intended fleet to change hands ie a higher price if newer or lower price if older fleet.

User(s) browsing this thread: 41 Guest(s)