Current time: 08/05/2024, 04:51 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
(21/02/2019 10:15)Mayneway Wrote:  It's a weird scenario. Obviously just like when First took over Finglands there will be a transition period when Go Ahead will accept existing First tickets but First up to now arnt disappearing, they will still be at the other two depots so if go-ahead intend to run First vehicles in First Livery with Go Ahead vinyls it's going to be extremely confusing for passengers.
Wonder if First will reduce the price of weekly/monthly tickets as the area they can be used in will massively shrink.

Reading the Go Ahead twitter page, after takeover is completed, Go Ahead will continue to accept First season tickets until the season tickets expiry date.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(21/02/2019 13:09)MTL0201 Wrote:  Reading the Go Ahead twitter page, after takeover is completed, Go Ahead will continue to accept First season tickets until the season tickets expiry date.

But let's say a month after takeover there's still going to be Go-Ahead vehicles running in Manchester in some state of First Livery so it's going to cause a hell of a lot of confusion for passengers if First are still running from the other two depots.
(21/02/2019 10:15)Mayneway Wrote:  It's a weird scenario. Obviously just like when First took over Finglands there will be a transition period when Go Ahead will accept existing First tickets but First up to now arnt disappearing, they will still be at the other two depots so if go-ahead intend to run First vehicles in First Livery with Go Ahead vinyls it's going to be extremely confusing for passengers.
Wonder if First will reduce the price of weekly/monthly tickets as the area they can be used in will massively shrink.
I think there will have to be a transition period of sorts because GoAhead can't just draft in a whole depot worth of new buses. It will be a confusing time for passengers but whenever there is any sort of takeover, the buses do run in other operators colors for a while. Though slightly different, the Wright Eclipse in Chester took 6 months or so for Stagecoach to repaint them.

I think what GoAhead will do is get some buses from their current divisions and repaint them into Go NorthWest livery (whatever that may be). They will then get a few First vehicles (possibly with First using normal spares from other garages to cover for the short term) while Go Ahead repaint a few of the existing First buses. That way, you have a few buses out on your first day, in normal livery. I would think that routes which run into other First areas are likely to get done first, like the 17, 18 so people can differentiate on main corridors with routes like the 92, 93, 95, 97, 98 and 135 left until last given almost the entire route will then no longer be served by First.
(20/02/2019 19:34)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Yep would be, at one stage there was a recovery vehicle at each main depot and at the start there were 6 if you include the fact that there was originally also one at Atherton years ago.

Incidentally for those interested who don't yet know there is an article in tonight's Manchester Evening News about what Go Ahead intend to do with Queens Road https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/...d-15853871
Which tells you precisely nothing.
(21/02/2019 14:50)iMarkeh Wrote:  I think there will have to be a transition period of sorts because GoAhead can't just draft in a whole depot worth of new buses. It will be a confusing time for passengers but whenever there is any sort of takeover, the buses do run in other operators colors for a while. Though slightly different, the Wright Eclipse in Chester took 6 months or so for Stagecoach to repaint them.

I think what GoAhead will do is get some buses from their current divisions and repaint them into Go NorthWest livery (whatever that may be). They will then get a few First vehicles (possibly with First using normal spares from other garages to cover for the short term) while Go Ahead repaint a few of the existing First buses. That way, you have a few buses out on your first day, in normal livery. I would think that routes which run into other First areas are likely to get done first, like the 17, 18 so people can differentiate on main corridors with routes like the 92, 93, 95, 97, 98 and 135 left until last given almost the entire route will then no longer be served by First.

I think you are getting ahead (pardon the pun) of yourself. We are still a way off a decision on Bus Reform, never mind any actual standard livery. Besides, unless and until a decision in favour of Franchising is made, there will only be the very basic idea of the various contract groupings - a mixture of large and small to enable the widest range of competent to tender, I've heard - never mind who will win which. In other words it will be a year or more before GoAhead or any other company know how many buses (and which types) will need to be in any new standard livery..
In the meantime, it would probably make sense to adopt some sort of interim livery which maybe retains an element of First basic colours (assuming there is something in the sale deal to prevent any kind of "passing off" arguments) as they are familiar to existing customers, combined with GA branding.

The timeline is still of interest, but the comment about no change to services upon takeover does suggest it will be before 27th April.
Let's say if first keep the two remaining garages can they really still be called first Manchester? As they won't be there or adopt some local identity
(21/02/2019 21:32)johnluke Wrote:  Let's say if first keep the two remaining garages can they really still be called first Manchester? As they won't be there or adopt some local identity

The other 2 Depots are for sale and from what i have heard an announcement is due very soon

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
What ticket Machines Do Go ahead Use? As maybe just a software update for tickets could happen over night. But First Weeks will not be worth buying for many but not much for a all bus weekly anyway. Can see people on first unlimited unhappy as they get a ticket each month.
(21/02/2019 22:38)T42 PVM Wrote:  The other 2 Depots are for sale and from what i have heard an announcement is due very soon

Comments elsewhere strongly suggest an announcement a bout Bolton is imminent but Oldham seems more complicated.
(22/02/2019 08:15)Brickmill Wrote:  Comments elsewhere strongly suggest an announcement a bout Bolton is imminent but Oldham seems more complicated.

been told Oldham in few weeks.

going by the 184 3 people avg at 2pm on board from Oldham to Manchester on a trip shows how much Metrolink is killing them.

User(s) browsing this thread: 45 Guest(s)