Current time: 26/04/2024, 14:52 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
The MEN are running a feature on the autonomous Enviro200 they’ve been depot testing, all the commands are run from a generic Samsung Android tablet weirdly enough.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/...r-15991759

The way AI works means they need to be ‘trained’ using certain biases as they learn from experience, so the drivers are helping to train their robotic replacement essentially.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(19/03/2019 08:04)acocker96 Wrote:  The MEN are running a feature on the autonomous Enviro200 they’ve been depot testing, all the commands are run from a generic Samsung Android tablet weirdly enough.

The way AI works means they need to be ‘trained’ using certain biases as they learn from experience, so the drivers are helping to train their robotic replacement essentially.

That's a weird thought. Drivers effectively becoming computer programmers - who'd have seen that one coming.
Very interesting to read that the 34 will go up to every 15 minutes between Worsley and Manchester. Will the short trips be ran by Hyde Road?
Another change of note is an extra 112 journey at 01:00 from Manchester to Greengate
103 will be extended to the Airport Cargo Centre
634 in Wigan is retimed with more time in built into it.
Also some changes in there for the Sunday and Evening 118.
(20/03/2019 16:35)iMarkeh Wrote:  Very interesting to read that the 34 will go up to every 15 minutes between Worsley and Manchester. Will the short trips be ran by Hyde Road?

Will be interesting to see as when First did the 33, when they owned Wigan the short workings were run by Wigan, as 33, as they had time to run a trip to Worsley then back to Manchester in-between full journeys, some also terminated at Monton Green. However with traffic building up, unsure if this is still possible or indeed practical, or whether Hyde Road will run some and Wigan other shorts, or Hyde Road run all the extra journeys, Am I correct to think this means FirstGroup will withdraw the 33, or are looking to withdraw it?

This is how FirstGroup have failed time and time again, make a weakness for Stagecoach or Diamond or others to exploit, no long term business view at First, not just in Manchester but in other places too. The only places they do well is were they have a total monopoly on all/most services, everywhere else they struggle.
I was surprised to see a Solo working the 33 last week.
(20/03/2019 16:35)iMarkeh Wrote:  Very interesting to read that the 34 will go up to every 15 minutes between Worsley and Manchester. Will the short trips be ran by Hyde Road?

What interests me is if these short trips from Millionaire s row via Minton with Eccles by passed, is run by Hyde Road, how will it be resourced, vehicle wise? It looks like a VR of 4 buses.
(21/03/2019 12:00)Brickmill Wrote:  What interests me is if these short trips from Millionaire s row via Minton with Eccles by passed, is run by Hyde Road, how will it be resourced, vehicle wise? It looks like a VR of 4 buses.

Whoever it is ran by will need the extra 4 buses surely? Unless Wigan has a lot of spare. I was only thinking Hyde Road for as it is at the right end of the route but there is nothing stopping Wigan doing Leigh - Manchester, Manchester - Worsley, Worsley - Manchester, Manchester - Leigh and then doing extra trips to get these extra buses into the right places.
(19/03/2019 08:04)acocker96 Wrote:  The MEN are running a feature on the autonomous Enviro200 they’ve been depot testing, all the commands are run from a generic Samsung Android tablet weirdly enough.

There was a feature on BBC North West Tonight on Monday. The reporter, when questioning passers-by about the development kept referring to 'driverless buses', which is not quite the same thing.
(21/03/2019 13:41)Olympian2100 Wrote:  There was a feature on BBC North West Tonight on Monday. The reporter, when questioning passers-by about the development kept referring to 'driverless buses', which is not quite the same thing.

The AI learns from repeated experiences so it will get better at reversing into a bay each time for example. My point about the drivers helping is because they are sat behind the wheel while the bus does it’s business e.g. practising it’s manoveurs.
(21/03/2019 13:31)iMarkeh Wrote:  Whoever it is ran by will need the extra 4 buses surely? Unless Wigan has a lot of spare. I was only thinking Hyde Road for as it is at the right end of the route but there is nothing stopping Wigan doing Leigh - Manchester, Manchester - Worsley, Worsley - Manchester, Manchester - Leigh and then doing extra trips to get these extra buses into the right places.

True, although I think that would increase the VR to 5. Certainly, the shorts have something between 25 & 29 minutes stand time at Worsley. There won't be spares at WN so my guess is that 5 MMCs will transfer from HE and they will be replaced (directly or indirectly) by the 4 further Euro 3s expected from MSL. I assume by "extra journeys" you mean interworking with the 8 as it is now. Running extra unregistered comercial journeys is illegal.

User(s) browsing this thread: 7 Guest(s)