Current time: 27/04/2024, 20:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
Most times i end up in Manchester i spot Go Goodwins 99 running 20 mins+ late at least once in the day, Its also very regular to see Stagecoach Buses leave out of Service as well

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(20/12/2015 21:26)T42 PVM Wrote:  Most times i end up in Manchester i spot Go Goodwins 99 running 20 mins+ late at least once in the day, Its also very regular to see Stagecoach Buses leave out of Service as well

Service 99 has been plagued with late running for years not just because of Manchester City Centre but also because of Princess Parkway and it can change from day to day as well as different times of the day. Various operators ( Bullocks, Blue Bus, Arriva, Finglands, First and Go Goodwins) have all operated this contracted service but with Go Goodwins you know that they will definitely 'turn up'. Bullocks and Finglands were also very reliable.
I agree, you see Stagecoach in Manchester showing 'Sorry not in service'. However I was referring to the Sale area. There is nothing worse than standing on Broad Road when a 41 arrives from Manchester in service only for it to alter it's destination to 'Sorry not in service' and then disappear not to be seen again! Fortunately you can be pretty certain that that an X41 will be along shortly.
Incidentally when First took over Finglands services First employed an inspector to check how the service was operating most of the drivers then were previously employed by Finglands. Nowadays you do not see any inspector and very few of the Fingland drivers!
Find all posts by this user
Having finally caught up and read the story and apology in the MEN it strikes me that what Mr Bowles is saying in laymans terms is - in 2016, diesel will get cheaper, but our services will become more unreliable and possibly less frequent so despite the cheaper fuel fares WILL go up.

Intestingly I was talking to a former Stagecoach over the weekend who made an interesting suggestion. If Stagecoach was in Manchester were half the size they are now would they be suffering with these problems? They seem to have far too many eggs in too many baskets, and there's been a few times recently where they seem to have taken too much on.

It's interesting that MCT gets a mention above. I've made no secret of the fact I'm no fan of theirs. Infact standards still seem to be dropping, but it's the same argument. They at one time seemed to be a decent little independant operator then they seemed to take on a hell of a lot overnight and as a result passengers seem to suffer.
(20/12/2015 22:16)Mayneway Wrote:  Having finally caught up and read the story and apology in the MEN it strikes me that what Mr Bowles is saying in laymans terms is - in 2016, diesel will get cheaper, but our services will become more unreliable and possibly less frequent so despite the cheaper fuel fares WILL go up.

Intestingly I was talking to a former Stagecoach over the weekend who made an interesting suggestion. If Stagecoach was in Manchester were half the size they are now would they be suffering with these problems? They seem to have far too many eggs in too many baskets, and there's been a few times recently where they seem to have taken too much on.

It's interesting that MCT gets a mention above. I've made no secret of the fact I'm no fan of theirs. Infact standards still seem to be dropping, but it's the same argument. They at one time seemed to be a decent little independant operator then they seemed to take on a hell of a lot overnight and as a result passengers seem to suffer.
I'm beginning to wonder if Manchester needs a form of reregulation similar to London but less stringent for example the new mayor can take control of transport; fare setting, route tendering, service frequencies etc and with that some of the duties of the traffic commissioner in regards to fines and licensing. I wasn't around for the okd days of GMPTE but maybe with the mayor of Gtr Manchester should come this.
(22/12/2015 20:15)Dentonian Wrote:  In theory, this is exactly what would happen under Devolution plans. However, what would an Elected Mayor do with buses in a democracy run by lobbyists of virtually every other form of transport? Indeed, there have even been rumours that the current wasteful competition for which this advert is effectively a smokescreen, was "brokered" by Manchester City Council.

Until seen in action we can not really say one way or another if it would actually work.

I was reading that the original plans for Tyne and Wear had been thrown out .
(22/12/2015 21:42)Dentonian Wrote:  The Tyne & Wear plan was completely different. It was for a Statutory Quality Partnership

It was actually for a Quality Contract Scheme, a long way from a Partnership!
Almost forgot to mention as I was on my way into work yesterday afternoon I noticed Middleton Depot's Magicbus Trident leaving bottom of Oldham Street on 118 service
(25/12/2015 21:55)Dentonian Wrote:  Which one was this? I thought all Middleton's had been repainted. In a similar vein, 17621 was on the 206 on Wednesday afternoon, with 19397 barely 50 metres behind it on London Road at 1645 - they should have been 30 mins apart. However, this was typical of Hyde Road corridor services on Wednesday - and no doubt many other routes. My uncle compiled over an hour in waiting time on "frequent interval" routes. The one dry day in December must have brought everyone else out to do their Xmas shopping.

I noted 17578 on the 112 on Wednesday.
Stagecoach's service changes for 24 January are on the website. New timetables should be available from Sunday.

Timetable changes for services 11/11A, 22, 32, 34/X34, 42, 43, 50, 84, 112/114, 145, 156, 168/169, 191, 197, 327, 329, 347, 368/369, 631/632, 658, X5, X41 and X57.

Service 22 is re-routed to arrive into Stockport bus station via Mersey Square, while the short journeys on service 203 between Stockport and Reddish are extended to Manchester.

The 131, as proposed by TfGM, will be withdrawn and replaced by services 112 and 114.

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-up...:23:36:544
Last Sunday, December 27th, I wanted to ride route 156 because, although Stagecoach are quite good, I wanted the novelty of riding it with MCT, and MCT into north Manchester at that. However, for my journey at 10.12 from Shudehill, a Stagecoach Plaxton Primo turned up. I don't know whether it was a Christmas relief duty on behalf of MCT or whether the Sunday contract has moved from MCT to Stagecoach?

User(s) browsing this thread: 7 Guest(s)