Current time: 11/05/2024, 13:56 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
Bluebird which is now owned by stagecoach used to compete on the 181... afaik nobody else has since GM times
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
181/182 were operated by GM Buses South when Stagecoach took over and were operated by Stagecoach until about 3 years ago. Bluebird took over when Stagecoach gave them up (they also gave up 245 to Altrincham at the same time). Bet they wish they still had them given what's happened with Bluebird and now Finglands as First will have abetter coverage than they will in Manchester with the links to Didsbury.
181/2 used to be operated by GMBuses Rochdale Depot (the now Ron Chalker factory) then when Rochdale Depot closed they were transferred and operated by Hyde Road Depot for a quite a number of years after that until Stagecoach took over GMBuses South, then for a brief period of time (A couple of years I think it was) it was operated out of Stagecoach's Chadderton outstation, as for Bluebird operating the route, I seem to remember both Bluebird and First Manchester taking over the route when it was relinquished by Stagecoach Manchester with both operators (First and Bluebird) both running to Rochdale, then Bluebird pulled the Rochdale section and only ran theirs 181/2s as far as Shaw Wrens Nest, then eventually they came off 181/2s altogether and left it to First to run the whole route Manchester-Rochdale, and come this September another change is set to happen with First set to cut the route so that it only runs from Manchester-Shaw Wren's Nest due to the Metrolink now open between Shaw & Rochdale
Stagecoach only ran the Monday-Saturday daytime services of the 181/182 with First running the evening service of the 182. When Stagecoach decide to withdraw the service, Bluebird registered the service, with First following suit afterwards with both starting at the same time.

The other significant change was that the 181/182 were both hourly services until First increased it to half-hourly each in preparation for the closure of the Oldham Loop line for Metrolink conversion.

B10s and Olympians were the regular vehicles on Stagecoach's 181/182 services.
Thanks for the explanation. Just find it odd how Stagecoach used to have the routes outside of their operating area then they disappeared. Stagecoach also run the 76, which ran outside of their area, while First only had the 53 operating outside of their territory.

Why couldn't Stagecoach make the services work but First can?

Stagecoach also pulled Bluebird route 72 (but they extended the 77), why don't they like operating to Chadderton?
(04/08/2013 09:37)M60lad Wrote:  181/2 used to be operated by GMBuses Rochdale Depot (the now Ron Chalker factory) then when Rochdale Depot closed they were transferred and operated by Hyde Road Depot for a quite a number of years after that until Stagecoach took over GMBuses South, then for a brief period of time (A couple of years I think it was) it was operated out of Stagecoach's Chadderton outstation, as for Bluebird operating the route, I seem to remember both Bluebird and First Manchester taking over the route when it was relinquished by Stagecoach Manchester with both operators (First and Bluebird) both running to Rochdale, then Bluebird pulled the Rochdale section and only ran theirs 181/2s as far as Shaw Wrens Nest, then eventually they came off 181/2s altogether and left it to First to run the whole route Manchester-Rochdale, and come this September another change is set to happen with First set to cut the route so that it only runs from Manchester-Shaw Wren's Nest due to the Metrolink now open between Shaw & Rochdale

If I remember correctly, in the late 80's there used to be three depots in Rochdale, GMPTE, Bee Line Buzz Co, and Rossendale Transport.

When the GMPTE depot closed, the operations were divided between Bury, Oldham, and Hyde Road. My in-laws live at Heywood.

Bee Line Buzz Co, was taken-over by stagecoach own Ribble Motors, the operations moved to a site in Ashton (just around the corner from the current depot at Ashton), the operations were later sold Finglands. I also seem to remember there being some sort of depot or out station at Bredbury. If anybody got any photos of Bee Line, Ribble or Stagecoach buses in Rochdale area from the 80's, I would be interested in see them.
See I dont remember stagecoach on the 181/2... shows im young... and I drive buses so... figured I wouldnt be lacking knowledg3
(04/08/2013 13:05)Polo Mint Wrote:  Thanks for the explanation. Just find it odd how Stagecoach used to have the routes outside of their operating area then they disappeared. Stagecoach also run the 76, which ran outside of their area, while First only had the 53 operating outside of their territory.

Why couldn't Stagecoach make the services work but First can?

Stagecoach also pulled Bluebird route 72 (but they extended the 77), why don't they like operating to Chadderton?
The 77 was extended to go to Chadderton, hence the disappearance of the 72. Pointless having 2 buses when 1 can do the same job.
Regarding 77 remember its not the first time Stagecoach have operated the route as before Bluebird took it over Stagecoach Manchester ran it for a time along the old circular route as 77 was yet another Hyde Road route that operated into North Manchester when Stagecoach bought GMBuses South and if I'm right in thinking the only route that Stagecoach still operate into North Manchester that's a legacy from GMBuses days is 76 Oldham-Manchester service, for some reason dispite most of the route being covered by various bits of other First routes Stagecoach have actually kept it on
Sad news yesterday as a man died on a 383 service after slipping on the stairs. The 46-year old was on crutches and being helped up by his partner when he slipped part the way up the stairs and fell.

The incident happened around 5.30pm and the man was taken to hospital to be treated for an head injury but died later in the evening in the hospital.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/n...wn-5694249

User(s) browsing this thread: 12 Guest(s)