Current time: 04/05/2024, 09:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
(29/01/2013 22:20)ace Wrote:  
(29/01/2013 08:01)MX12EOC Wrote:  12188 spotted going out of the depot saying 'stagecoach'

Presumably going out on a test run. Perhaps one day it may care to come into service Smile

Well, when I was going to get the 192 on the day 12181 came out of the depot, I went on it, as I had missed an earlier 192 :p
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(29/01/2013 23:06)M60lad Wrote:  Not to sure which ones but earlier this afternoon I spotted 2 192 branded Hybrid Enviro 400s heading Stockport bound on A57 past Tescos at Gorton

Also other news is that from the next timetable change one tender that Stagecoach Manchester has picked up is the evening 247s from Arriva and apparently route learning for 247s starts next Monday and it will be Stockport Depot that's going to be operating the service, they've also got the 372 from Bakerbus as well from the same date

Arriva do seem to be less and less interested in operations in and around Manchester in recent years , Stagecoach taking any work that can be accomodated around there depots .
(30/01/2013 07:30)wirralbus Wrote:  
(29/01/2013 23:06)M60lad Wrote:  Not to sure which ones but earlier this afternoon I spotted 2 192 branded Hybrid Enviro 400s heading Stockport bound on A57 past Tescos at Gorton

Also other news is that from the next timetable change one tender that Stagecoach Manchester has picked up is the evening 247s from Arriva and apparently route learning for 247s starts next Monday and it will be Stockport Depot that's going to be operating the service, they've also got the 372 from Bakerbus as well from the same date

Arriva do seem to be less and less interested in operations in and around Manchester in recent years , Stagecoach taking any work that can be accomodated around there depots .

To be fairly honest, arriva don't really have depots nearer to their routes, for example the Stockport metroshuttle is ran by their Wythenshawe depot which is barely even close to Stockport. If you want to compare the distance from stagecoach's Stockport depot to the bus station, it's not even a mile away, yet arrivas depot is a trek in comparison to Stagecoach's depot. :L
12190 seen leaving the depot! Smile
AZ currently have 17180 as it's working the 236 to Glossop. Not sure if it's a loan or whether it's replaced the older Tridents.
MX12EOC, Don't forget, though, that as long as any cost incurred by dead mileage is recouped in either the subsidy/tender income from the route or commercial gains, it's entirely irrelevant. Look at Arriva St Helens running the 312 in Skelmersdale for example: dead running isn't an issue here because the commercial gains obviously recoup the cost of it. If you look at the closing of Skelmersdale depot in its entirety in fact, my point is also shown - just because the garage isn't close to the route and dead running may be significant in length, that doesn't mean that the route is at all unviable for the operator.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
(30/01/2013 16:04)CX54 DKD Wrote:  MX12EOC, Don't forget, though, that as long as any cost incurred by dead mileage is recouped in either the subsidy/tender income from the route or commercial gains, it's entirely irrelevant. Look at Arriva St Helens running the 312 in Skelmersdale for example: dead running isn't an issue here because the commercial gains obviously recoup the cost of it. If you look at the closing of Skelmersdale depot in its entirety in fact, my point is also shown - just because the garage isn't close to the route and dead running may be significant in length, that doesn't mean that the route is at all unviable for the operator.

Well, that is fair enough but what if there was low ridership on the route meaning not as much money would be recouped (hypothetically) that's not often a case but what if it were true?
If that were the case then it would depend upon whether the service is either commercial or tendered. If tendered, the company is paid regardless of patronage. For a commercial route, it would depend entirely upon whether the company were prepared to subsidise the service with the profits from other services.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
(30/01/2013 07:30)wirralbus Wrote:  

First and Stagecoach dominate the majority of the profitable corridors in Manchester with Arriva having the 10 and 263 routes as their busiest city centre routes. Even then compared with busier stagecoach and first routes this is small time. Maybe its more effort than its worth to even try to compete with them.
(30/01/2013 06:58)MX12EOC Wrote:  
(29/01/2013 22:20)ace Wrote:  
(29/01/2013 08:01)MX12EOC Wrote:  12188 spotted going out of the depot saying 'stagecoach'

Presumably going out on a test run. Perhaps one day it may care to come into service Smile

Well, when I was going to get the 192 on the day 12181 came out of the depot, I went on it, as I had missed an earlier 192 :p

Lucky you Smile 1-0 to you then I take it Smile Don't worry, I'll catch up Smile

User(s) browsing this thread: 16 Guest(s)