Current time: 04/05/2024, 08:32 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Howards/Springfield
RE: Howards/Springfield
Transbus Dart MPD SN03YBH has now been re-registered F14HOW and can usually be found on the 48 service between Northwich and Frodsham.

Scania V23HOW (YN51MKZ) has been sold to an operator in the Kidderminster area, while Volvo B7 V24HOW (YK53GXL) has been sold to an operator in North Wales.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
So does that mean F15 will end up providing cover if one of the usual buses on the 27/48/200/289 routes isn't available?
Yes F15HOW will be the backup bus now and has already been on 27s recently covering for the usual Enviro200 which developed a fault the other week so part of the afternoon shift on there was covered with it.
There's reports Radbrooke Hall workers now regularly have to stand on the 27 bus all the way between the Whipping Stocks Inn and Macclesfield (30 to 45 minute journey.)

Also noting that
- The 130 being reduced to hourly at the end of January (meaning fewer buses between Broken Cross, Macclesfield Hospital and the bus station.)
- Wilmslow Job Centre (which served Knutsford) recently closed with services transferred to Macclesfield (although many existing job seekers have requested to transfer to Northwich due to the 27 bus service being too infrequent.)

It seems the perfect time to enhance the frequency and capacity on the 27 route.
(04/12/2017 15:38)knutstransport Wrote:  There's reports Radbrooke Hall workers now regularly have to stand on the 27 bus all the way between the Whipping Stocks Inn and Macclesfield (30 to 45 minute journey.)

Also noting that
- The 130 being reduced to hourly at the end of January (meaning fewer buses between Broken Cross, Macclesfield Hospital and the bus station.)
- Wilmslow Job Centre (which served Knutsford) recently closed with services transferred to Macclesfield (although many existing job seekers have requested to transfer to Northwich due to the 27 bus service being too infrequent.)

It seems the perfect time to enhance the frequency and capacity on the 27 route.

I think the 27 gets a capacity increase in the Cheshire east proposed changes? Up to 39?
^ Yes but the 15:15 from Knutsford and the 16:00 from Macc would disappear so the following services will have even more passengers than now.
Hmm not to sure where the reports are comming from that Radbroke Hall (Barclays) staff have to stand on 27s as I can vouch that this is not the case and revenue on 27s for fare paying passengers is virtually constant.

I've ridden on 27s the odd couple of times on afternoon journies and never noticed any standing loads yet and the passengers getting on from Radbroke Hall are spread over various journies on 27 and not one journey as I've said has standing loads on it, yes most seats are taken but not to the extent of full and standing.

As for the frequency increase to hourly I very much doubt this would work as there just not the passenger base for it.
(05/12/2017 07:02)M60lad Wrote:  Hmm not to sure where the reports are comming from that Radbroke Hall (Barclays) staff have to stand on 27s as I can vouch that this is not the case and revenue on 27s for fare paying passengers is virtually constant.

I've ridden on 27s the odd couple of times on afternoon journies and never noticed any standing loads yet and the passengers getting on from Radbroke Hall are spread over various journies on 27 and not one journey as I've said has standing loads on it, yes most seats are taken but not to the extent of full and standing.

As for the frequency increase to hourly I very much doubt this would work as there just not the passenger base for it.

When the service used to be operated by 38 seater Cadets to an hourly frequency there were a lot more passengers per service than now - the fares were also lower.

I'm not sure how you think Barclays workers are spread over various services when most off-peak services don't pick up or set down a single passenger in Over Peover. There's also a designated shuttle (operated by Walkers/Holmeswood) for those going between Radbrooke Hall and Knutsford, although a few freelancers might still use the 27. The vast majority of Barclays workers on the 27 are going from Macc to Over Peover in the morning and the reverse in the evening. I can't say what the exact loadings are as I never use the first two services to Knutsford or the last two to Macclesfield but people who work there are complaining, saying there's been a recent increase in patronage causing the bus to be full. The last time I used a bus TO Knutsford in the evening it was as you describe - no standing apart from those who chose to stand rather than taking one of the last couple of empty seats.
On the new timetables, scheduled for April, the PVR is 4 (for the E1/2), with 2 vehicles being 27 capacity and 2 vehicles being 35 capacity.

In terms of passenger numbers, bizarrely, there was a 50pence difference in revenue between the last 2 months which shows a regular client base.

In terms of capacity.... is that seats or total capacity? The Radbroke hall passengers are spread over a couple of journeys in the afternoon so its not too bad, though i am aware that around 0900 it is very busy.

The service won't go hourly as i believe our predecessors on the route tried that and we know how that fairytale ended.
It is a very successful service and i believe this is a benefit of a modern vehicle, being reliable and having 2 regular drivers who have helped make that difference to the regular passengers , plus encouraged old passengers who had lost faith in the service, to come back.

I also believe our fares are currently cheaper than when it was commercial, though i stand to be corrected.
(06/12/2017 13:07)The H man Wrote:  On the new timetables, scheduled for April, the PVR is 4 (for the E1/2), with 2 vehicles being 27 capacity and 2 vehicles being 35 capacity.

Is that what has gone out for operators to bid for? Cheshire East originally proposed that but the amended version post-consultation, which was approved by the CE cabinet, specifically mentioned a requirement for 39 seater vehicles to be used.

Quote:In terms of passenger numbers, bizarrely, there was a 50pence difference in revenue between the last 2 months which shows a regular client base.

Am I right in thinking your weekly tickets are cheaper than 4 x day tickets? If so wouldn't it be possible for the average number of times weekly tickets are used to increase without increasing revenue?

Quote:In terms of capacity.... is that seats or total capacity? The Radbroke hall passengers are spread over a couple of journeys in the afternoon so its not too bad, though i am aware that around 0900 it is very busy.

I don't know. I also don't know if it varies between days - a Radbrooke Hall worker lives opposite me (who drives so doesn't use any bus) works the same hours Mon, Tues and Thurs but then on Wed works a longer day and on Friday a shorter day.

I do accept some people complain about overcrowding if 2 people have to stand or will stand if they don't see a vacant seat or won't ask someone to move their bag from a vacant seat. Strangely buses have a maximum standing allocation but don't have a recommended maximum standing time, while for trains it's the reverse.

Quote:The service won't go hourly as i believe our predecessors on the route tried that and we know how that fairytale ended.

I also believe our fares are currently cheaper than when it was commercial, though i stand to be corrected.

It's been operated commercially on 3 occasions.

The first was after a 5 year contract (which saw the service running to hourly frequency operated by the 'Cheshire Rider' 38 seater Cadets) which High Peak had ended, they ran it to a reduced 90 minute frequency on a commercial basis. They increased the fare overnight from £3.50 return to £4.80 return. The punctuality was very poor and I seem to recall there was a cold winter during that period which meant High Peak often had issues getting buses to Macclesfield in time in the morning. The poor service and the big increase in fares lost the route a lot of passengers. For instance, the route for no longer suitable for those who had jobs requiring them to start work in Knutsford at 9am.

After High Peak cancelled their registration, GHA registered it commercially to a similar timetable to now but theirs included a Queensway extension, more services via Beggarmans Lane and fewer running via Seven Sisters Lane. Those making a return journey from end to end, were sold a £5 day ticket which was also valid for onward travel on the 19, 39 (which became the 87 and then 99), 88 and 289 routes. Initially they did well, getting at least 75% of the seats filled on 28 seater Darts on pretty much every weekday service, which led to them introducing a second vehicle on to the route between doing a morning and afternoon school run on weekdays and all day on Saturdays. However, after they had built up passenger numbers things went wrong. The reliability of their vehicles seemed to get worse and breakdowns were too common and they started using a lot of non-accessible vehicles (step entry deckers and coaches.) I'm not sure if that put off any passengers but it would have increased their operating costs!

There was another brief attempt at a commercial running of the service by High Peak after GHA collapsed but from what I understood High Peak had their arm twisted by Cheshire East and it was agreed they would only provide a Mon-Fri 2 hourly service only until September. For that brief period the fare was higher than it was now - which may well have put off passengers.

Quote:It is a very successful service and i believe this is a benefit of a modern vehicle, being reliable and having 2 regular drivers who have helped make that difference to the regular passengers , plus encouraged old passengers who had lost faith in the service, to come back.

The last time I was on it there were a group of over 60s commenting that Cheshire East council were very mean taking all that council tax revenue and not even providing an hourly bus to the nearest hospital. At least they understood CEC set out the minimum specification which, as far as I know, you are meeting.

Personally I prefer the slightly older D&G Solo SRs that are the regulars on the 88 route but the fact the Enviro you use on the 27 has seat belts fitted seems to be welcomed by parents/grandparents taking young children on the bus.

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)