Current time: 08/05/2024, 20:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Selwyns
RE: Selwyns
(06/01/2021 15:44)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  The 500 is once again returning to Merseytravel/Selwyns operation on the 8th given the new lockdown.
Bit of a joke really the lockdown should not make issues with staffing as they got drivers from schools
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(06/01/2021 19:41)Mrboo Wrote:  Bit of a joke really the lockdown should not make issues with staffing as they got drivers from schools

Depends how many drivers they have that have been told to shield.
(06/01/2021 20:34)djb Wrote:  Depends how many drivers they have that have been told to shield.

Given that Arriva didn’t directly contract Selwyns to operate the service directly like with the X1, and instead passed it on to Merseytravel suggests to me that it’s not a staffing issue, but that they do not want to bear the commercial loss, due to the express nature of the service. It could be, but I personally doubt it.

Even in a tiered system of restrictions I think even an Optare Solo would’ve been enough to carry passengers most of the time. Never mind in a national lockdown.

What I don’t understand is why Merseytravel are willing to pay Selwyns for a full-sized coach service operating to a full timetable, when they are getting absolutely no revenue in return. Unless the airport are absorbing some of the costs, I’m not sure.
(06/01/2021 20:47)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  Given that Arriva didn’t directly contract Selwyns to operate the service directly like with the X1, and instead passed it on to Merseytravel suggests to me that it’s not a staffing issue, but that they do not want to bear the commercial loss, due to the express nature of the service. It could be, but I personally doubt it.

Even in a tiered system of restrictions I think even an Optare Solo would’ve been enough to carry passengers most of the time. Never mind in a national lockdown.

What I don’t understand is why Merseytravel are willing to pay Selwyns for a full-sized coach service operating to a full timetable, when they are getting absolutely no revenue in return. Unless the airport are absorbing some of the costs, I’m not sure.

It is possible that only Selwyns bidded for the Contract, If so its likely Coaches is all they had due to Buses being required for Schools

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(06/01/2021 20:52)T42 PVM Wrote:  It is possible that only Selwyns bidded for the Contract, If so its likely Coaches is all they had due to Buses being required for Schools

That’s a good point, but even so, why to a full timetable?

If coaches was they had it’s understandable why they can’t take revenue, as it would be more hassle than it’s worth to install ticket machines.
Believe me , its having a big effect on staffing in a variety of ways as you have those on furlough who are in category 1 health , ones who have covid symptoms , those who have tested positive and the regular long term sick etc.
Other news regarding Selwyns is that since the start of this recent lockdown their Leeds-Manchester/Liverpool 170 National Express service that they shared with E Stott & Son of Huddersfield has stopped running for the time being.

One thing that has got me thinking though is that when 060 Liverpool-Leeds service used to run it was solely operated by Selwyns and I was wondering whether E Stott took over what workings would have been operated out of Runcorn Depot.
I did see on Facebook Yesterday from a Reliable Source that National Express stuff is about to be suspended until mid March at best.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Yeah your right Terence just read similar on another Forum I read, apparently a mass e-mail is due to go out to all current and recent customers on Friday that will advise customers that all National Express serviced will be suspended from midnight Sunday 10 until end of February subject to government restrictions etc.
Yes I can Confirm NX has closed there network and some routes are never going to return.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/202...nday-covid

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)