Current time: 04/05/2024, 03:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Selwyns
RE: Selwyns
(28/10/2020 11:24)knutstransport Wrote:  Which is a lot more than most people travelling on budget airlines will be taking and they are the people most likely to use the bus, a family going to Australia for a month is more likely to get a taxi.
No the 20kg limit is for all the bags on the bus as it on the info of the weight of bus and passengers seats/standing room info.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(28/10/2020 14:34)Mrboo Wrote:  No the 20kg limit is for all the bags on the bus as it on the info of the weight of bus and passengers seats/standing room info.

Sounds pretty pointless as unless the driver weighs every bag or it's done automatically for all bags placed on the luggage rack, no-one will know what the weight is. You can have a large suitcase with not much in it or you can have a small backpack with some heavy items inside.

Anyway, Heathrow and Gatwick have better public transport than Manchester Airport. For Manchester Airport you only really get a choice of which mode of travel you use if your going to the city centre, Didsbury or Stockport. You could get the tram from Altrincham to the airport but it's slow, expensive and indirect.
There will no luggage racks and will be ran on deckers as these already have ticketer machines fitted to them and its for the Liverpool Airport 500
(28/10/2020 14:43)knutstransport Wrote:  Sounds pretty pointless as unless the driver weighs every bag or it's done automatically for all bags placed on the luggage rack, no-one will know what the weight is. You can have a large suitcase with not much in it or you can have a small backpack with some heavy items inside.

Anyway, Heathrow and Gatwick have better public transport than Manchester Airport. For Manchester Airport you only really get a choice of which mode of travel you use if your going to the city centre, Didsbury or Stockport. You could get the tram from Altrincham to the airport but it's slow, expensive and indirect.

Whilst this does sound like it is going on a tangent from the Selwyns thread, I would like to chip in my two cents in regards to Manchester Airport from my experience.
In terms of buses, I have only really seen the 43 pick up passengers from those who have gone on a flight. Routes like the 288 are too infrequent (hourly and two-hourly) and run for limited times during the day to be as beneficial for flight commuters. When Arriva ran the 18, it was at least half hour frequency until shortly before it's demise and ran early morning, Sunday and evening services (which did have patronage). For those local to the Trafford area, due to taxi firms having set fares it can be cheaper / more convinient for families to arrange a taxi instead of waiting for a bus.

Play City Bus Manager? I've compiled collections from different bus mods helpfully created by the community:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/dounowhoia...id=1364210

Play "Bus Simulator 18" on PC, check out my "Finglands" bus mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...2122981042
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Top tip when a driver says your bag is over Weight ask then to prove it. as they Have to use Scales
that are calibrated with full Documentation in line with weights and measures regulations. So if they turn you away you have a good case on that company.

I had megabus controller at Birmingham get funny so I shown them my ID card for Stagecoach and told them to call control. and well I won
We getting off topic here, let's focus on selwyns and not divert into other areas of airports
(28/10/2020 15:01)dounowhoiam Wrote:  Routes like the 288 are too infrequent (hourly and two-hourly) and run for limited times during the day to be as beneficial for flight commuters.

Pre-COVID the 288 ran hourly Mon-Sat from around 06:30am to 10:30pm, as well as there being a Sunday service so it used to cover most flights except the early and late ones. As check-in desks start opening at 4am it certainly didn't provide a service for all workers! People do board the 288 with suitcases or large rucksacks, on some of the lightly loaded evening services it was sometimes the case that everyone boarded had a suitcase or large rucksack.

To relate this to the 500 Liverpool Airport service, if the service is reduced in frequency it may lose more passengers as while most people don't tend to mind arriving very early for flights, most want to get home as quickly as possible after the flight arrives opposed to waiting 90 minutes because there's only vehicle bus on the route.
(28/10/2020 14:34)Mrboo Wrote:  No the 20kg limit is for all the bags on the bus as it on the info of the weight of bus and passengers seats/standing room info.

That figure seems like something dreamed up by an incompetent bureaucrat who never uses buses. 5-6 people who have been on shopping trips will soon exceed 20 kg. of bags.
Am I right assuming the 4 ex HTL Solos at Sharston have now gone?
(28/10/2020 15:00)chris-s Wrote:  There will no luggage racks and will be ran on deckers as these already have ticketer machines fitted to them and its for the Liverpool Airport 500

Will these be the MMCs or some older ones?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)