Current time: 06/05/2024, 17:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greater Manchester Franchising
RE: Greater Manchester Franchising
(31/03/2021 12:44)Barney Wrote:  I can't comment on the bus network in Manchester but in Liverpool I would suggest that 90% of the services that operate today run along 85% of the routes that operated prior to deregulation.

Immediately after deregulation the main incumbents - Merseybus and North Western (Ribble) - along with new major players such as Fareway, CMT, Liverline, Liverbus experimented with innovative major route changes. However, within 15 years the route network eventually returned to a network that essentially mirrored the MPTE one in 1985 and generally using the same route numbers.

Assuming that franchising is introduced on time, I cannot envisage a situation where TfGM will draw up a totally new network as I am sure that it recognises that Stagecoach, Go Northwest, Arriva and First managers DO have a good idea of what works.

Initially, I think that the main focus will be on frequency, hours of operation and fares.

Over the last 10 years a lot of subsidised services have been dropped altogether. Some commercial services rerouted to fill the gap but there seems to be some people, mainly enthusiasts that think TFGM are going to wave a magic wand and suddenly every lost bus route in Manchester since de reg will suddenly return. They won’t!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Greater Manchester Franchising - Mayneway - 31/03/2021 18:29

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)