Current time: 26/04/2024, 07:29 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Former bus depot on Speke Road, Garston
Former bus depot on Speke Road, Garston
Hi all. Simple query. I've got a 2004 Merseyside street atlas, and it shows that at Speke Road, Garston, is a bus depot. There's another at Shaw Road, on an industrial estate, which belongs to Arriva.

The site at Garston is now Lowbridge court, and images on Streetview only show the site from 2008 onwards, with the new shops and housing on the site. So, who used to occupy the bus depot on Speke Road, which is now Lowbridge court?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Former bus depot on Speke Road, Garston
(21/10/2016 19:07)robertclark125 Wrote:  Hi all. Simple query. I've got a 2004 Merseyside street atlas, and it shows that at Speke Road, Garston, is a bus depot. There's another at Shaw Road, on an industrial estate, which belongs to Arriva.

The site at Garston is now Lowbridge court, and images on Streetview only show the site from 2008 onwards, with the new shops and housing on the site. So, who used to occupy the bus depot on Speke Road, which is now Lowbridge court?

It was the old Arriva Garston Depot before arriva it was MTL, Merseybus but origionally Liverpool Corperation
Ah right. Initially I thought it was North Western Road Car, until I remembered their depot was at Haydock. I'm guessing that operations moved from Garston when it closed, to Shaw Road at Speke? When did it close?
(21/10/2016 20:31)robertclark125 Wrote:  Ah right. Initially I thought it was North Western Road Car, until I remembered their depot was at Haydock. I'm guessing that operations moved from Garston when it closed, to Shaw Road at Speke? When did it close?

I think was 05 it closed but may be wrong....and yep all moved Speke
(21/10/2016 20:31)robertclark125 Wrote:  Ah right. Initially I thought it was North Western Road Car, until I remembered their depot was at Haydock. I'm guessing that operations moved from Garston when it closed, to Shaw Road at Speke? When did it close?

IIRC Garston, Litherland and PAR (all former LCPT/MPTE depots) closed on D-day 1986. Garston was mothballed for years but was returned to operational duties about 1990 when Speke closed. When Speke was reopened, Garston closed for good and the site was sold off.

I'm sure someone can give full details of Garston's history
It was originally Garston Tram Depot which was converted to buses somewhere around 1950.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
Garston Depot closed in 1996 when MTL merged their MerseyRider operations with the main fleet.
(22/10/2016 08:21)Phil Wrote:  Garston Depot closed in 1996 when MTL merged their MerseyRider operations with the main fleet.

I thought Arriva had Garston Depot for a while
(22/10/2016 09:03)E208 WBG Wrote:  I thought Arriva had Garston Depot for a while

In 2005 they acquired Merseyline who were based at a Garston depot, but it wasn't the above.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)