Current time: 26/04/2024, 01:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Photography ban...?
Photography ban...?
Hi All,
Has anyone here been asked to refrain from taking photographs of buses whilst at a Merseytravel bus station? I was politely told that I couldn't take pictures inside a bus station and the person said I could go across the road and take pictures but not in the bus station itself. They said that you needed written permission before you can take pictures inside the bus station...

Thoughts...?

ANW 2283

Previously marcus T

Darting across the NW and Midlands...Smile

Starting to put a moves book together...

http://www.ipernity.com/blog/bontybermo
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Photography ban...?
What Bus Station was this? I was told once at Birkenhead however i have taken photos there loads of times so maybe i just caught someone on a bad day

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(06/03/2016 00:03)T42 PVM Wrote:  What Bus Station was this? I was told once at Birkenhead however i have taken photos there loads of times so maybe i just caught someone on a bad day

It was Huyton....

ANW 2283

Previously marcus T

Darting across the NW and Midlands...Smile

Starting to put a moves book together...

http://www.ipernity.com/blog/bontybermo
(06/03/2016 00:03)T42 PVM Wrote:  What Bus Station was this? I was told once at Birkenhead however i have taken photos there loads of times so maybe i just caught someone on a bad day

At Birkenhead Bus Station the roadway in front of Bus Stops 1 to 4 is actually a public highway , it is a public highway because it needs to serve the service roads around the Birkenhead Market , the rest is private land , its unfortunately up to them how they adminster it .
Obviously it depends were you were sanding.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
I've been stopped by a plain clothes police officer before for photographing a bus.
He demanded that I show him the photograph and other photographs of buses I'd taken recently, presumably to show that I am an enthusiast and wasn't just interested in that particular bus.
He took my name and address then followed me in his car (I was on foot).
I don't know why he needed my name and address, but suspect I'm on some kind of database for something now.

I have thought many times about complaining or going to a police help desk to ask if the police officer was entitled to do all of this, but have never done so for fear of reigniting the whole issue.
By the way, this wasn't in Merseyside but was elsewhere in the North West.
EDIT: I should also clarify that this wasn't at a bus station and was just on a normal road.
I have been asked to stop photographing at queen square and st.helens bus station several times.i just stick to the streets now apart from the odd foray at the bottom of queen square when securitys not about.
If you are in a public place, then you should not be stopped for taking photographs of buses. The only time a police officer should be stopping you is if you look like you are photographing surveillance systems such as CCTV.

As for the police officer following you, I would request his number or at least take the registration plate of the car and report the officer for harrassment. If doing this via your local police station does not do anything, then raise it with the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
(06/03/2016 10:37)Nicholas Wrote:  If you are in a public place, then you should not be stopped for taking photographs of buses. The only time a police officer should be stopping you is if you look like you are photographing surveillance systems such as CCTV.

This is what I thought also.

I and others have had trouble with staff at Birkenhead bus stn in relation to taking photos. Most often is a Carlisle cleaner, whom it does no concern anyway.

I am no longer active on this forum.
(06/03/2016 10:37)Nicholas Wrote:  If you are in a public place, then you should not be stopped for taking photographs of buses. The only time a police officer should be stopping you is if you look like you are photographing surveillance systems such as CCTV.

As for the police officer following you, I would request his number or at least take the registration plate of the car and report the officer for harrassment. If doing this via your local police station does not do anything, then raise it with the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
Yes as was said previously pity you didn't demand some I.D or got the reg number of his vehicle, and then pursued matters further. sounds like some jobsworth to me, if it happens again at least you will know how to handle the matter. I would always question their actions and bring the old chestnut " human rights/civil liberties" into the conversation

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)