Current time: 26/04/2024, 03:52 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
[Archive] Northern (Arriva Rail North)
RE: Arriva Rail North
(21/01/2016 22:08)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  CAF will be building the 281 brand new carriages for the new franchise. The deal is being financed by the Eversholt Rail Group:

http://www.arrivarailnorth.org/keeping-y...-franchise

Breakdown is 31 x 3-car & 12 x 4-car EMUs and 25 x 2-car & 30 3-car DMUs.

The DMUs will be primarily used on Northern Connect services excluding the 2 North East routes which are getting refurbished 158s.

The various announcements hint that the 333s will go on to Leeds-Doncaster and 3 car EMUs which can be doubled up will supplement the 333s on the Airedale and Wharfedale lines and indicate Glossop will get new 4 car EMUs.

So possibly
* 16 x 3 car EMUs to Yorkshire to replace the 321s and 322s
* 15 x 3 car EMUs to Manchester to replace the 323s (except on the Glossop route but allowing for Macclesfield enhancements)
* 3 x 4 car EMUs for Glossop
* 7/8 x 4 car EMUs for Blackpool/Windermere Northern Connect services.
* 1/2 spare maintenance/spare EMUs for North West routes.
Find all posts by this user
Interesting times ahead when they come on stream.
Interesting to see that the diesel and electric units will both be based on the Civity UK platform which I think looks really smart and they certainly look the part. It's good to find out what the breakdown of the new order is too - full credit to Arriva for placing the order so quickly after winning the franchise. Hopefully we will find out what class numbers they will be assigned soon too. I'm guessing Class 190 is a possibility for the DMUs but it'll be interesting to see if the EMUs are assigned a 3xx or 7xx designation
I think the Class number will really depend on what numbers are available for the coaches as they do not like to have numbers for the coaches which are too closely aligned with locomotive numbers .

With so many new classes coming online soon or in the near future the rolling stock library will make interesting reading .
(22/01/2016 16:41)wirralbus Wrote:  I think the Class number will really depend on what numbers are available for the coaches as they do not like to have numbers for the coaches which are too closely aligned with locomotive numbers .

With so many new classes coming online soon or in the near future the rolling stock library will make interesting reading .

Random idea - what about class 334 or 335 for the EMUs? The 332s and 333s were built by CAF/Siemens and they'll be operating alongside the 333s in Yorkshire.
Class 334's already exist in Scotland.
(22/01/2016 16:41)wirralbus Wrote:  I think the Class number will really depend on what numbers are available for the coaches as they do not like to have numbers for the coaches which are too closely aligned with locomotive numbers .

The new Desiro City (Class 700/707), Aventra (Class 345/710) and A-Train (Class 800-802) units will all have six digit carriage numbers instead of five - so there's more than enough carriage numbers available when class designations are assigned. Class 190 seems a reasonable assumption for the Civity UK DMUs considering the last few new DMU types (Coradia and Pennine Desiro) to enter service in the United Kingdom have all been Class 175, Class 180 and Class 185 respectively - with no class designations in between those currently in use

For EMUs it could be anything really. If it was a 3xx number (which I think it probably will be) I'd guess at Class 335 myself. Don't think it'll be too long before we find out anyway
Hello when does Northern Rail finish and Arriva Rail North start?

And when will we start seeing Arriva making the mark
(02/03/2016 10:58)E208 WBG Wrote:  Hello when does Northern Rail finish and Arriva Rail North start?

Finish date/start date is 1 April 2016.As for when Arriva will make their mark,gradually.
(02/03/2016 10:58)E208 WBG Wrote:  Hello when does Northern Rail finish and Arriva Rail North start?

Just a quick quote from the forum rules...

1. Please be mindful that your posts do not or are not:

e) Repetitive asking of questions and queries where either it is clear that no one is aware of the answer and/or the answer is posted elsewhere on the site. With this rule, please use the search facility before asking questions as often the answers are already out there!

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)