Current time: 25/04/2024, 07:11 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Which independent operator do you miss the most?
Which independent operator do you miss the most?
I thought it would be interesting to see what you all think. I'll start off

For me it has to be Glenvale Transport. I always found GTL to be reliable and I always got a seat at any time of the day without fail. In my opinion Glenvale had a great fleet (especially from an enthusiasts' point of view) and another thing I liked about them was that a lot of their buses had a name - which I thought made them really identifiable. One of them had my name on it but I really can't remember which one it was unfortunately. I certainly don't think we'll see an independent operator the size of GTL on Merseyside again which I think is a shame
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most?
I quite miss Merseypride's 82B service with the old ECW Olympians, it made a nice contrast to what ever rubbish Arriva had on there (EL200 and in later years Cadets).

I also miss JPT as a operator, their fares were reasonable and their were also some decent buses amongst the fleet.
I'm going back quite a long time which a few members probably won't remember. I have 2 independents in mind.

1 Shearings when they ran buses ran some very interesting routes like the 140 (later became 50) which ran Warrington - St Helens - Prescot - a route much missed today. Also at one point they ran a 651 Huyton - Prescot - St Helens - Newton-Le-willows - Ashton - Atherton.

2. Ogdens first attempt at running buses included a 14 which ran Earlestown - Haydock - St Helens - Rainhill - Prescot - a through link much missed today.
(01/12/2015 15:43)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  I thought it would be interesting to see what you all think. I'll start off

For me it has to be Glenvale Transport. I always found GTL to be reliable and I always got a seat at any time of the day without fail. In my opinion Glenvale had a great fleet (especially from an enthusiasts' point of view) and another thing I liked about them was that a lot of their buses had a name - which I thought made them really identifiable. One of them had my name on it but I really can't remember which one it was unfortunately. I certainly don't think we'll see an independent operator the size of GTL on Merseyside again which I think is a shame

Possibly HTL in 10-15 years time could be big
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
HTL is mainly contracted services though, cover a large area but not the same level as GTL was.
I find it interesting that the first two replies to this thread cite GTL and JPT....both operators whose demise came about as a result of financial difficulties, and who were subsequently found to have maintainence that left a lot to be desired.

Perhaps a good demonstration that an enthusiasts idea of a "good" bus doesn't necessarily tally with the harsh reality?
I use to love working for GTL as if they didnt sell up to stagecoach i think i would still be working for them now.
Ogedens had a good network first time round but his drivers where there own worse enemy.
But for me it would be 1 of these 2.
1..Town flyer was a small independent i liked round st helens.
2..CMT as i use to love calling them Carbon Monoxide Transport lol.
1. Ace Travel. A great little operator with a very tidy and well presented fleet think the taxman should have give them another chance and accepted Aces offer of payment.
2. GTL.
I know they don't do merseyside but Jim Stones buses are brilliant and very family focused if you like. Caught one once to Leigh and BBC radio 2 was on but would go off everytime the bell was pressed. Little things makes the journey more enjoyable.
Pity they only operate in and around Leigh
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quite a few, for example

Lancashire United Transport (LUT) - sadly swallowed into Greater Manchester.
Mayne (Manchester)
West Riding (swallowed into NBC Yorkshire group.)
In their day, they were all good quality operators, with good / distinctive fleets.
Sadly, Fishwicks have followed them into history.

Liverbus, Liverline, CMT, etc. all flourished briefly, but all eventually sold out to the "big boys".

But even more, I miss a lot of the municipal operators, who generally provides better services at lower fares than many of their successors. (RIP St. Helens, Wigan, Leigh, Bolton Corporations & all the other long departed municipals)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)