Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website
Which independent operator do you miss the most? - Printable Version

+- Forum | Merseyside Dennis Dart Website (http://dartslf.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Buses (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Buses: The Old Days (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Which independent operator do you miss the most? (/showthread.php?tid=1066)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Which independent operator do you miss the most? - SK15 GZG - 01/12/2015 15:43

I thought it would be interesting to see what you all think. I'll start off

For me it has to be Glenvale Transport. I always found GTL to be reliable and I always got a seat at any time of the day without fail. In my opinion Glenvale had a great fleet (especially from an enthusiasts' point of view) and another thing I liked about them was that a lot of their buses had a name - which I thought made them really identifiable. One of them had my name on it but I really can't remember which one it was unfortunately. I certainly don't think we'll see an independent operator the size of GTL on Merseyside again which I think is a shame

RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most? - Lynx - 01/12/2015 18:06

I quite miss Merseypride's 82B service with the old ECW Olympians, it made a nice contrast to what ever rubbish Arriva had on there (EL200 and in later years Cadets).

I also miss JPT as a operator, their fares were reasonable and their were also some decent buses amongst the fleet.

RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most? - St Helens Rider - 01/12/2015 19:01

I'm going back quite a long time which a few members probably won't remember. I have 2 independents in mind.

1 Shearings when they ran buses ran some very interesting routes like the 140 (later became 50) which ran Warrington - St Helens - Prescot - a route much missed today. Also at one point they ran a 651 Huyton - Prescot - St Helens - Newton-Le-willows - Ashton - Atherton.

2. Ogdens first attempt at running buses included a 14 which ran Earlestown - Haydock - St Helens - Rainhill - Prescot - a through link much missed today.

RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most? - RedPanda - 01/12/2015 20:22

(01/12/2015 15:43)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  I thought it would be interesting to see what you all think. I'll start off

For me it has to be Glenvale Transport. I always found GTL to be reliable and I always got a seat at any time of the day without fail. In my opinion Glenvale had a great fleet (especially from an enthusiasts' point of view) and another thing I liked about them was that a lot of their buses had a name - which I thought made them really identifiable. One of them had my name on it but I really can't remember which one it was unfortunately. I certainly don't think we'll see an independent operator the size of GTL on Merseyside again which I think is a shame

Possibly HTL in 10-15 years time could be big

RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most? - Jack - 01/12/2015 20:46

HTL is mainly contracted services though, cover a large area but not the same level as GTL was.

RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most? - mbonwick - 01/12/2015 21:33

I find it interesting that the first two replies to this thread cite GTL and JPT....both operators whose demise came about as a result of financial difficulties, and who were subsequently found to have maintainence that left a lot to be desired.

Perhaps a good demonstration that an enthusiasts idea of a "good" bus doesn't necessarily tally with the harsh reality?

RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most? - motormayhem1 - 01/12/2015 21:42

I use to love working for GTL as if they didnt sell up to stagecoach i think i would still be working for them now.
Ogedens had a good network first time round but his drivers where there own worse enemy.
But for me it would be 1 of these 2.
1..Town flyer was a small independent i liked round st helens.
2..CMT as i use to love calling them Carbon Monoxide Transport lol.

RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most? - MX12CFE - 02/12/2015 07:34

1. Ace Travel. A great little operator with a very tidy and well presented fleet think the taxman should have give them another chance and accepted Aces offer of payment.
2. GTL.

RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most? - RedPanda - 02/12/2015 17:11

I know they don't do merseyside but Jim Stones buses are brilliant and very family focused if you like. Caught one once to Leigh and BBC radio 2 was on but would go off everytime the bell was pressed. Little things makes the journey more enjoyable.
Pity they only operate in and around Leigh

RE: Which independent operator do you miss the most? - Bevan Price - 02/12/2015 18:39

Quite a few, for example

Lancashire United Transport (LUT) - sadly swallowed into Greater Manchester.
Mayne (Manchester)
West Riding (swallowed into NBC Yorkshire group.)
In their day, they were all good quality operators, with good / distinctive fleets.
Sadly, Fishwicks have followed them into history.

Liverbus, Liverline, CMT, etc. all flourished briefly, but all eventually sold out to the "big boys".

But even more, I miss a lot of the municipal operators, who generally provides better services at lower fares than many of their successors. (RIP St. Helens, Wigan, Leigh, Bolton Corporations & all the other long departed municipals)