Current time: 29/03/2024, 01:41 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
RE: Stagecoach Chester & Wirral
(03/12/2016 17:06)wirralbus Wrote:  If you happen to want to shop on the wrong side of Chester that new bus station is one hell of a long walk away.

Gorse Stacks Bus Station to be honest is only just a little better located than the old Delamere Street Bus Station and that was a just a bit out of the way.

Chester Bus Exchange was the closest bus station to a city centre i have ever come across but the powers that be deem the land to be more valuable for other uses these days .

What distances are we talking here? An able-bodied individual should be able to walk for a mile (20 minutes) without much trouble. I suspect we are talking a lot less than that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
With respect to the location of Chester's bus station at Gorse Stacks, I think it's about the best that could be achieved, given the area.

It's reasonably close to the city centre (5-10 mins walk) & also not far from the railway station. I'd like to see a form of shuttle service (preferably free to either rail or bus ticket holders), but I'm not holding my breath.

The current situation where buses terminate around the town hall is partially historic and partially due to the closure of Delamere Street. The area in front of the town hall was the original terminus for both Crosville & Chester City services on the north side of the city prior to Delamere Street opening. Although this current location is convenient for the market, the main shopping area is now down around the Eastgate clock & probably as easy to access from Gorse Stacks as from the town hall.

Given the lack of suitable alternative land in the Chester area, I can't see where else the new bus station could have been located.
(03/12/2016 18:19)Turbostar Wrote:  With respect to the location of Chester's bus station at Gorse Stacks, I think it's about the best that could be achieved, given the area.

It's reasonably close to the city centre (5-10 mins walk) & also not far from the railway station. I'd like to see a form of shuttle service (preferably free to either rail or bus ticket holders), but I'm not holding my breath.

I wonder if there is some correlation between the unwillingness to walk for 5-10 minutes and obesity in this country?
It is disabled people that are going to be hit worse. If in a wheelchair, it will be even worse. You have to go up the quite steep George Street, go through the Kaleyards which is less steep but full of cobbles so you are basically left with going all the way to the clock and back into Chester if you want to shop in Northgate street for example.
Stagecoach have placed an article in the Chester Chronicle regarding the rumours that are circulating about the sale of the Chester depot

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/c...s-12266430

[Image: 28219738595_5f67980003_m.jpg]
So essentially - "we haven't sold it yet but we definitely are looking to sell"
(06/12/2016 20:27)mbonwick Wrote:  So essentially - "we haven't sold it yet but we definitely are looking to sell"

Certainly looks like it, I think its a case of waiting for the price to increase given its prime location, I do however have to ask what land is available down bumpers lane which could be of use, unless they are planning of withdrawing from chester full stop

Chester285, they have the PR contract for a while don't they so withdrawing would be silly.
(06/12/2016 23:47)iMarkeh Wrote:  Chester285, they have the PR contract for a while don't they so withdrawing would be silly.

I makes that's makes no difference at all look at first they sold up regardless off the park and ride

36807 on 1 yesterday,first none gold bus i have noticed on it,while a gold bus was on 42

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)