Current time: 27/09/2024, 21:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Services which don't exist but there could be demand for
RE: Services which don't exist but there could be demand for
I've always thought a Wallasey to Bootle service would do alright at peak times, completely omitting the city centre - a lot of people getting off the morning 432/3 seem to end up on a bus headed down Scotland Road anyway.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(15/09/2015 17:26)Enviro400 Wrote:  I've always thought a Wallasey to Bootle service would do alright at peak times, completely omitting the city centre - a lot of people getting off the morning 432/3 seem to end up on a bus headed down Scotland Road anyway.

Would there really be sufficient passengers for both direction though .
I've always wondered if a crossover would work between the old 89, 212 and 217 would work.

Halewood - Hunts Cross Stn - Woolton Village - Gatacre Cross - Bellevale - Huyton - Pagemoss (via Woolfall) - Stockbridge Village - Knowsley Village - Kirkby Admin Gates - Kirkby Civic Centre.

Another 'lengthy' idea would be to extend the 17/17a service beyond Vicarage Road to Runcorn Halton Lea (via the current 110 route), which would give a journey time of around 58 minutes to complete
(15/09/2015 17:37)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  I've always wondered if a crossover would work between the old 89, 212 and 217 would work.

Halewood - Hunts Cross Stn - Woolton Village - Gatacre Cross - Bellevale - Huyton - Pagemoss (via Woolfall) - Stockbridge Village - Knowsley Village - Kirkby Admin Gates - Kirkby Civic Centre.

Another 'lengthy' idea would be to extend the 17/17a service beyond Vicarage Road to Runcorn Halton Lea (via the current 110 route), which would give a journey time of around 58 minutes to complete

Your first idea would be interesting , but didnt Merseybus pull the plug on the 90 which followed last part of the route above.
(15/09/2015 15:13)wirralbus Wrote:  Parts of the 309/19 could be profitable like Warrington to St Helens , think the section between St helens - Ormskirk has already been tried and failed , Ormskirk - Southport as such is already served on the main route between the two , so would have to be via another underused route.

But as a through service could work. I mean from Warrington/St Helens this service could undercut otherwise awkward rail connections and open up new journey opportunities.
(15/09/2015 17:37)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  Another 'lengthy' idea would be to extend the 17/17a service beyond Vicarage Road to Runcorn Halton Lea (via the current 110 route), which would give a journey time of around 58 minutes to complete

I've always wondered why the 17 never continued onto Runcorn. Just after Dereg, there was a subsidised evening and Sunday 17 between St Helens - Widnes - Runcorn (High Street) which ran every 2 hours although I'm guessing the extension was probably to make more use of the vehicle/driver.
(15/09/2015 17:43)wirralbus Wrote:  Your first idea would be interesting , but didnt Merseybus pull the plug on the 90 which followed last part of the route above.

The 90 (or part of) ran until 2004, where it was partially replaced by a higher frequency and low floor 89 that also served the Airport.
The GTL 217 (and at the time, newly introduced 227) service at the time was more popular, frequent and cheaper between Huyton and Kirkby, leading to it's demise.
A similar idea I've thought about before is an 89/192 between the airport and Kirkby.
(15/09/2015 17:34)wirralbus Wrote:  Would there really be sufficient passengers for both direction though .

HMRC is still a big employer in Bootle and its staff travel from all over Merseyside. I believe that Avon's early morning service from Woodchurch to Litherland pick up a few passengers as does the evening return journey.
(15/09/2015 20:45)Barney Wrote:  HMRC is still a big employer in Bootle and its staff travel from all over Merseyside. I believe that Avon's early morning service from Woodchurch to Litherland pick up a few passengers as does the evening return journey.

There really just positioning journeys , also it would really only be a Monday to Friday service .

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)