Current time: 20/04/2024, 11:25 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
RE: Stagecoach Chester & Wirral
(14/09/2015 12:01)R879 HRF Wrote:  17745 is being repainted at rock ferry into standard livery

17839 (the bus 17745 come north with) is currently sat in the corner of Gillmoss.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(14/09/2015 12:01)R879 HRF Wrote:  17745 is being repainted at rock ferry into standard livery

Is it still in dual door configuration?
(15/09/2015 15:19)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  Is it still in dual door configuration?

Interestingly yes...

I am no longer active on this forum.
Its a pity we don't have the facilities to allow double door operation like in london. It would certainly speed up loading/unloading at bus stops.

Any thoughts on this.
(15/09/2015 15:55)R879 HRF Wrote:  Interestingly yes...

Thanks for that. It is a bit unusual that it's retained both sets of doors - perhaps it will be used for school services?
(15/09/2015 16:05)Myllenium2453 Wrote:  Its a pity we don't have the facilities to allow double door operation like in london. It would certainly speed up loading/unloading at bus stops.

Any thoughts on this.

I don't think it's necessary - there are some busy services at peaks which may benefit from the speeding up of alighting and boarding, but then again you reduce the load capacity quite substantially, so you'd need an increase in frequency to make sure that everybody who is displaced by the second doors is able to board another service.
(15/09/2015 16:55)Enviro400 Wrote:  I don't think it's necessary - there are some busy services at peaks which may benefit from the speeding up of alighting and boarding, but then again you reduce the load capacity quite substantially, so you'd need an increase in frequency to make sure that everybody who is displaced by the second doors is able to board another service.

Maybe the only routes that this would suit are routes in Liverpool , to be honest there isnt any route in the Stagecoach Chester and Wirral area that even gets to the point of needing separate entrance and exits .
(15/09/2015 17:04)wirralbus Wrote:  Maybe the only routes that this would suit are routes in Liverpool , to be honest there isnt any route in the Stagecoach Chester and Wirral area that even gets to the point of needing separate entrance and exits .

To be honest, I don't think it would even make much of a difference in Liverpool. Half of the time a bus runs late simply because it has hit 2 red lights in a row and then the next one catches up with it, particularly on the 79, 82, 86 and 10s. Saving less than 10 seconds through use of a second door probably wouldn't even make any noticable difference, whereas the reduced seating would definitely be felt more.
(15/09/2015 17:24)Enviro400 Wrote:  To be honest, I don't think it would even make much of a difference in Liverpool. Half of the time a bus runs late simply because it has hit 2 red lights in a row and then the next one catches up with it, particularly on the 79, 82, 86 and 10s. Saving less than 10 seconds through use of a second door probably wouldn't even make any noticable difference.

With routes that have a frequency of less than 10 minutes the situation of buses catching each other up is just an occupational hazard , only a couple of areas have actually succeeded with double doors Edinburgh and London.
(15/09/2015 16:05)Myllenium2453 Wrote:  Its a pity we don't have the facilities to allow double door operation like in london. It would certainly speed up loading/unloading at bus stops.

Any thoughts on this.

I'm not in favour of double door operation on Merseyside in the slightest. None of the major bus termini (Birkenhead, Liverpool ONE, Queen Square, South Parkway etc) on Merseyside were designed for the operation of dual door vehicles and I think it would be a waste of money to modify them for dual door operation. As Enviro400 has pointed out all buses with dual doors have less seating capacity than their single door variants but they do have more standing room. Despite this however I would say that the vast majority of bus passengers would prefer to have a seat rather than stand

I personally don't think any commercial route on Merseyside would suit dual door operation

(15/09/2015 17:30)wirralbus Wrote:  With routes that have a frequency of less than 10 minutes the situation of buses catching each other up is just an occupational hazard , only a couple of areas have actually succeeded with double doors Edinburgh and London.

There are also a large number of dual door vehicles in Dublin and I'd say they succeed there as well

User(s) browsing this thread: lcm453, 17 Guest(s)