Current time: 18/04/2024, 22:19 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Warrington's Own Buses
RE: WBT Network Warrington
(08/08/2015 15:02)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  Im going to keep quiet on this one me thinks Dodgy

Haha, well you're welcome to your opinion!
Guessing you're a supporter of the increase in the hopes it might lead to higher wages?
Just better hope that it doesn't make the vehicles too quiet though, else services and drivers could be cut further.

Actually we already know about the 45 stopping at the end of this month, but we just aren't sure what's happening with the others, though I'm guessing the service cuts won't be too drastic this time (though I wonder if the services through Stockton Heath will see a remodelling given the dropping of the 45?)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I'm not saying I'm a supporter of the fares going up if im honest, but I'm not really able to air my views when I work for the company. That would be suicide on my part...

One thing I will say though is that most of my loadings leaving the bus station are pretty full loads. Very few loads are what you would call quiet. Even with the fares going up, I don't see passenger numbers decreasing. Ultimately people will pay. Stagecoach , First Bus, Arriva are HUGE companies and as a result are able to subsidise the fares, therefore it's not a fair comparison comparing them with WBT as its tiny in comparison.

I'm sure things will continue as normal but ultimately they will continue to dominate the town...
Stagecoach are throughout the UK, they generate massive amounts of cash. What I am saying is that as a result of this they can offer lower fares across the board. Network Warrington are much smaller in comparison, they don't have the monopoly across the UK that Stagecoach do so therefore in order to generate 'enough' cash to keep the fleet on the roads and to purchase new buses, they have to generate more income. Its a business at the end of the day..

I'm not getting into the argument about whether fares are 'too expensive', that's not of interest to me and is for other people to discuss, argue, moan about etc etc..
But even stagecoach,first and arriva depots all run independent and have to survive off there own profits and there veichles that get bought have to be bought by each depots independent profits so they can be classed the same as network warrington individually its just any remaining profits go into the same pot after all operational costs have been taken out.
Halton and Rossendale aren't multi national companies though and in Rosso's case cover a much larger area as mentioned and both are cheaper then Warrington.
Can I offer a comparison with another North West firm, running circa 100 buses? Preston Bus, owned by Rotala PLC. A look on their website suggests that their day ticket, the Easiday, is just £3.40. That's well over £2 cheaper than Network Warrington. A weekly ticket on Preston Bus, the Easiweek, is £10.50, which is less than half of Network Warrington.
I do sympathise with the public but ultimately my job is to drive the bus as safely and punctually as possible. It's not my place to debate with passengers whether the fares are too high.

All I can say is us drivers are not on fantastic pay, our earliest start is 3.40am sign on and we can work through til after midnight. We work various shifts mainly nine hour duties and work 3 out of 4 Saturdays. All I ask of the public is before you start ranting at the driver, he is only doing his job and whilst his family are at home, he is looking after yours getting you from A to B safely...
(08/08/2015 21:38)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  I do sympathise with the public but ultimately my job is to drive the bus as safely and punctually as possible. It's not my place to debate with passengers whether the fares are too high.

But that's the fault of your employer not the frustrated passenger who has yet again had unbelievable eye watering increases to fares sneaked upon them. If NW were a little more transparent and offered some kind of reasonable explanation as to why they are making such steep increases in fares then I think the majority of passengers wouldn't be so angry.

Loadings on services won't change as the majority of passengers will use that service because they have too rather than through choice.
Was just about to point out Mayneway's last point, In most cases people dont have another operator to swap over to so therefore have no option to pay the fares of Network Warrington

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(08/08/2015 21:38)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  All I ask of the public is before you start ranting at the driver, he is only doing his job and whilst his family are at home, he is looking after yours getting you from A to B safely...

Agreed. It's unfortunate that most people don't know who sets the fares and don't understand that it really has very little to do with their drivers.

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)