Current time: 20/04/2024, 12:22 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
RE: Stagecoach Chester & Wirral
(05/04/2015 08:40)R879 HRF Wrote:  From what ive been told, sounds like a line for the air throttle has snapped. Same thing happened with 17494 a few weeks back.

I believe they charge per callout yes

Presumably it is still cheaper and cost-effective to rely on a private company to recover failed vehicles. Prior to Deregulation every bus company had its own break-down tender, often heavily rebuilt ex service vehicles.

I do wonder what the charges are for recovery. If £200 is an average and there is, on average, one call-out every other day that is still £36000 per year. Assuming a break-down tender has a minimum working life of ten years, that means that the bus operator is shelling out a lot more than it would cost to buy its own recovery vehicle. Of course, my sums may be totally off the mark.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
£200 is probably a fair average I'd guess.

It looks more economic to own a recovery truck - but then you've got to factor in tax/maintainence/MOT for said vehicle, staff training & CPC etc...
(05/04/2015 11:01)Barney Wrote:  Presumably it is still cheaper and cost-effective to rely on a private company to recover failed vehicles. Prior to Deregulation every bus company had its own break-down tender, often heavily rebuilt ex service vehicles.

I do wonder what the charges are for recovery. If £200 is an average and there is, on average, one call-out every other day that is still £36000 per year. Assuming a break-down tender has a minimum working life of ten years, that means that the bus operator is shelling out a lot more than it would cost to buy its own recovery vehicle. Of course, my sums may be totally off the mark.

Stagecoach have a recovery truck in Gillmoss but only ever see it pulling dead buses around the yard. And I think the fee is a bit more than £200. Buses have only needed water and RNW have been called in the past. Doesnt seem to be much commom sense at times does there.
It tends to cost about £250-£450 per tow in but RNW guarantee to be at the veichle within an hour of call out if not they receive penalties like a reduced payment.
(05/04/2015 15:22)motormayhem1 Wrote:  It tends to cost about £250-£450 per tow in but RNW guarantee to be at the veichle within an hour of call out if not they receive penalties like a reduced payment.

The top end of your figure is more what ive heard Stagecoach pay.
(05/04/2015 18:18)Shaun821 Wrote:  The top end of your figure is more what ive heard Stagecoach pay.

And even more if it happens in the tunnels which is not unusual

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
There is a minimum fee charged by Mersey Tunnels of £104 before any other costs are added in by the recovery company , as Mersey Tunnels will want to remove said obstruction as fast as possible.
If a bus dies in one of the tunnels it's usually Mersey tunnels own recovery wagon that will pull the bus out at a charge of £104, and then if the bus can't be fixed roadside it's another £400+ back to the depot LOL
Latest gossip has the new singles for rock ferry arriving towards the end of summer,if they
ever arrive,who knows they may even get cascades

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
(07/04/2015 16:48)Penny Return Wrote:  Latest gossip has the new singles for rock ferry arriving towards the end of summer,if they
ever arrive,who knows they may even get cascades

Well with the Gillmoss MAN Enviro300s getting their route branding took off and repainted and the interiors refurbished, its a possibility some could be heading over to Rock Ferry.

User(s) browsing this thread: MPTE1955, 18 Guest(s)