Current time: 23/04/2024, 21:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Manchester
RE: First Manchester
(30/06/2012 02:27)P528LND Wrote:  Just remember if the depot did move to another company it would include the drivers and other staff at the depot, so nobody would lose their jobs. First's loss of Wigan would be nothing of hurt to any employee's/local people, so to be quite honest I would underline 'speculation' and keep it as the key word. It really does not make a difference to the public whether it goes or not, apart from their tickets would only be valid on this new operator. first wouldn't defend something that isn't worth defence.

The likelihood is, it is just a rumour from some attention-seeking enthusiast that likes to spread a load of old rollocks in order to stir things up a bit. Really, take what you see with a pinch of salt, I know I will be doing so.

Exactly. Plus, the depot is located quite a few miles out of Wigan now anyways, and in BRYN, and is called the 'Lockett Road Depot'. Give me strength. Would they really get a brand new depot just to bin it off the next year? Think logically. Until I see it happen myself, I am not believing a word of this. You are told to never believe a word that's said in magazines and especially in newspapers...the amount of times that I've heard that Wigan and other depots are closing down and that is unreal. Just because they've chucked in some vehicle figures does not mean it is correct. It's fairly easy to download the First Manchester fleet list for free off the internet and do a count of how many buses are in each depot. No see, no believe. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
It doesn't suprise me if Wigan is up fors ale as I first heard it a few months ago from one company internal source and I've heard again from another internal source at the other end of company, what was more interesting is one source also said Bolton may go with Wigan if a single buyer cannot be found for Wigan.

Apparently the new garage was a senior mistake and shouldn't have been bought.

All the area's seem fair disposals to me. The most likely buyers for Wigan would be RATP as it bolts onto its Metrolink operation plus its keenest to expand in the UK.

Other parties might be Rotala.

The other suggestion was that came out, was that Operations might be removed from Wigan and go to Bolton, namely all the services in the Leigh and Bolton Area's leaving Wigan depot with only local services in Wigan itself and making the depot unprofitable.
i still feel arriva would like that depot in wigan, come on that builds their number in greater manchester and i would expect thats what they want

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
I think there is more than a grain of truth in the report in PT. I very much doubt a publication of that nature would publish something hatched by 'an attention seeking bus enthusiast' and the fact that there source would appear to be a leaked internal document holes that theory below the waterline in any case.

The former Midland Red West depots mentioned and Northampton were always likely to be amongst the prime targets for disposal and I doubt Chester & Wirral were ever too far behind. Even without the imminent QPs bringing in newer buses there is going to be a considerable need to update Rock Ferry's fleet over the next five years as all the Scanias bar the 05-plate examples will come due for replacement. At Chester this issue is a lesser one but the Solos, Dart SLFs and older Scanias will similarly need renewing over roughly the same timeframe. The depot situation at both locations is far from ideal also.
Great posts guys I agree with all your points in one way or another
I was interested to read the article on likely First disposals, so thanks for printing the article here Nicholas. While this thread relates to First Manchester, I was surprised of no mention of any plans to divest operations in East Anglia or Devon/ Cornwall. Maybe these will be added to raise the much-desired £100 million?

Even if Wigan is disposed of, I predict the interurban routes to Bolton, Manchester and maybe Leigh being retained and reallocated within the remaining FM depots.
you will have to leave some major routes at wigan if your to sell it overwise who will bother

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
(30/06/2012 19:09)bolton bus basher Wrote:  you will have to leave some major routes at wigan if your to sell it overwise who will bother

I imagine they'd leave the 600, 598 and 658 in the sale, also probably the 540.

Thanks,
Liam Moskwin.

[Image: 10p9e80.gif]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/transportandtreasures/
(30/06/2012 19:41)P528LND Wrote:  
(30/06/2012 19:09)bolton bus basher Wrote:  you will have to leave some major routes at wigan if your to sell it overwise who will bother

I imagine they'd leave the 600, 598 and 658 in the sale, also probably the 540.

Those routes are the only real assets:P
can someone give me a list of route currently ran by wigan

User(s) browsing this thread: 25 Guest(s)