Current time: 18/04/2024, 18:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Bootle Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Bootle Depot
You're an informed customer though MPTE. To a normal passenger, a nice new bus, on a 58 plate or newer, with a 'modern' external design with a comfortable interior is going to impress them sufficiently compared to something with a step entrance or even the earlier low floors such as the Renowns.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(20/03/2013 22:29)CX54 DKD Wrote:  You're an informed customer though MPTE. To a normal passenger, a nice new bus, on a 58 plate or newer, with a 'modern' external design with a comfortable interior is going to impress them sufficiently compared to something with a step entrance or even the earlier low floors such as the Renowns.

Fair comment, to be fair even my wife notices that and she wouldn't have a clue. Bit like when she got a Marshall the other week and sent me a message saying her bus felt old, asked her if she could see a fleet number and it was 7665. I think the bus having only one pram space also made her aware.
Ive had it on the 10A when i had 2729 on it on lates and picked up a load of young girls who as they walked up the bus i heard them saying "oh my god why have we got this old scatty bus,why havent we got one of the new ones as this is just an old shed" which made me chuckle to myself.
It's all down to opinions and personal tastes of course, but I tend to prefer Pulsars amongst full-size single deckers to Enviro300s. I find the Pulsar interiors brighter and more comfortable, especially compared with the poor legroom on some of Stagecoach's Enviro300s. The Enviro300 Praticos are OK but Civics are generally better IMO. That said, I suppose they are much of a muchness in terms of ride quality but I'd give Pulsars the edge. You do get some poor Pulsars (2668, 2923 and 3003 for three) but there are plenty of poor Enviro300s as well. Not a passenger point obviously but I prefer the sound of Pulsars as well.

As for Bootle's, are they really that much worse than other depots'? The worst Pulsar 1 I've ever been on is 2668 which was absolutely terrible and that's at Green Lane. This is just a personal view once again but I'd say Bootle's ride at least as well or better than Green Lane's. Bootle's are much tidier too in fairness.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
I actually think the Enviro300's are better buses than pulsars, but the seats on the pulsars are better. As for Bootle'S 58 plated pulsars, in my opinion they are probably similar to Green Lane's in terms of quality and condition, but like I have already said, St Helens 58 Platers are the best that I personally have ridden. The two pulsars mentioned last night as being poor by other forum members are as woeful as you can get though. As regards to the Enviro300's & Pulsars, once again in my opinion the Eclipses are much better than both, but there will be people who have a different view and that is their right as we all can't have the same opinion on everything.
(21/03/2013 15:50)507009 Wrote:  It's all down to opinions and personal tastes of course, but I tend to prefer Pulsars amongst full-size single deckers to Enviro300s. I find the Pulsar interiors brighter and more comfortable, especially compared with the poor legroom on some of Stagecoach's Enviro300s. The Enviro300 Praticos are OK but Civics are generally better IMO. That said, I suppose they are much of a muchness in terms of ride quality but I'd give Pulsars the edge. You do get some poor Pulsars (2668, 2923 and 3003 for three)

2923 (CX58 FZE) is one of Bootle's slowest Pulsars, 2946 (MX09 LYH) revs manically if the accelerator isn't handled sensitively, 3016 (MX59 FFU) is also unusually slow, and -like Michael says- 2918 (CX58 EXK) is another slow one.

I reckon these problems could have something to do with the increasing complexity of electronics in diesel engines. The days of simple mechanical removal are long gone, replaced by emission controls, electronic 'brains', AdBlue and various other (unnecssarily complicated) systems to meet tough Euro regulations.
The 'problems' are very likely, in most cases, intentionally in place to preserve engine life, attempt to reduce fuel burn etc.

I had Plaxton Pointer 2 X235 ANC (2235) on my 311 from Skelmersdale to Old Roan this afternoon... One of the worst buses that I've ever been on! The idle vibrations and rattles that this bus consists of are absolutely horrific and my head is still pounding at the moment, even though I got off it over an hour ago! Also, its engine doesn't particularly sound strong, but it's not bad at picking-up speed. Hope I don't ever have to sample that shed again!

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(21/03/2013 17:22)CX54 DKD Wrote:  The 'problems' are very likely, in most cases, intentionally in place to preserve engine life, attempt to reduce fuel burn etc.
If that is the case, Bootle shouldn't be allocating them to the likes of the 311 as the route consists of many steep hills which prevent them from going over about 20-MPH! Also, if this really is the case, there must be problems with acquiring parts (etc...) as some examples have been "slow" for over a year - such as CX58 EXK (2918) and MX59 JJU (3028).

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
I should imagine the idea behind trying to preserve engine life would be to reduce the need to replace parts.....

As an aside, it's hardly going to be high up on a list of priorities as something to correct if the vehicles are fit for service. It's not like they can't maintain a timetable so it's not particularly an issue for passengers either.

User(s) browsing this thread: 9 Guest(s)