Current time: 18/04/2024, 05:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Manchester bus franchising
RE: Manchester bus franchising
Of course anyone can operate the 163 commercially until franchising commences yet the only option mentioned seems to be TfGM subsidy or tender.
Perhaps Stagecoach step in for a five month money earning route? Arriva? First even!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(18/01/2023 12:52)Citibus Wrote:  Of course anyone can operate the 163 commercially until franchising commences yet the only option mentioned seems to be TfGM subsidy or tender.
Perhaps Stagecoach step in for a five month money earning route? Arriva? First even!

Nobody has got the drivers every depot every company is short it makes you wonder what the staff situation will be in September when Go take over Wigan & Bolton
All I can see from a logistical standpoint is if Go North West extended the 18 to Heywood (or maybe Bury if they have the capacity).

I guess it makes sense now why Diamond announced it as it wouldn't do them any favours if they made the announcement prior to them being awarded the smaller franchises.

There is a meeting on Friday, so it will be interesting if it gets raised there:
https://democracy.greatermanchester-ca.g...5004&Ver=4

Play City Bus Manager? I've compiled collections from different bus mods helpfully created by the community:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/dounowhoia...id=1364210

Play "Bus Simulator 18" on PC, check out my "Finglands" bus mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...2122981042
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
If the price is right other firms out of area will take it. Or the others may cut other routes so they can move drivers and buses to that route. Thinks of commercial routes that only just about covering cost well cut them and move them to this route. What has GNW or Stagecoach or Transdev got that could be pulled or cut to lower frequency.
(18/01/2023 13:42)Michael Wrote:  Nobody has got the drivers every depot every company is short it makes you wonder what the staff situation will be in September when Go take over Wigan & Bolton

My mate started at diamond Bolton last Monday they are 28 drivers short. Apparently drivers from Eccles are route learning some Bolton services at the moment with the plan of them stepping in and covering some work.
But as you say every depot, company etc is in the same boat.
(18/01/2023 16:50)dounowhoiam Wrote:  All I can see from a logistical standpoint is if Go North West extended the 18 to Heywood (or maybe Bury if they have the capacity).

I guess it makes sense now why Diamond announced it as it wouldn't do them any favours if they made the announcement prior to them being awarded the smaller franchises.

There is a meeting on Friday, so it will be interesting if it gets raised there:
https://democracy.greatermanchester-ca.g...5004&Ver=4

Can’t really see Go North West being interested. They may add some extra 18’s onto Rochdale road and potentially re-route them around Langley but as I’ve said previously the 163’s are only really busy up too Langley. I could see TFGM paying for a service maybe from Middleton to Darn Hill but I honestly don’t see anyone else picking it up and running it commercially.

Diamond have made the announcement as a protest against the tender awards. They have effectively got several months to run Bolton down and there’s nothing TFGM or Burnham can do about it. I believe a couple of the old B7’s they bought from First have suddenly turned up and been sent out at Bolton today.
(19/01/2023 00:32)Mrboo Wrote:  If the price is right other firms out of area will take it. Or the others may cut other routes so they can move drivers and buses to that route. Thinks of commercial routes that only just about covering cost well cut them and move them to this route. What has GNW or Stagecoach or Transdev got that could be pulled or cut to lower frequency.

Your comment makes no business sense whatsoever. The industry is still recovering from covid. Service occupancy is still nowhere near what it was pre covid and I would bet most operators would tell you that most of their commercial work is only just covering costs. Nobody will drop work to run the 163, it won’t happen.
(19/01/2023 02:28)Mayneway Wrote:  Your comment makes no business sense whatsoever. The industry is still recovering from covid. Service occupancy is still nowhere near what it was pre covid and I would bet most operators would tell you that most of their commercial work is only just covering costs. Nobody will drop work to run the 163, it won’t happen.

Yes they will.

Think about it put in a high tender and if you win pull buses off say a seasonal route or a route you can get away with cutting.

As summer is not as busy.

They could just run from Bury to Middleton every hour. What could they cut maybe cut the 18 from going to MRI to every hour.

Maybe even a coach firm would be tempted who not really into service work.
Atlantic travel maybe.

On Rail Replacement we have firms who always put in high bids as they don't really want the work but every now and then they hit jackpot.

Is there anything to say GNW can't start early on that route. Drivers are ready to jump ship always with right offer.

also what other tenders are due for renewal that maybe dropped for this.

If not they will just have to offer local link service.
Isn't the problem with 163 the route it actually takes I mean who really want's to travel from Middleton-Bury via both Langley and Darn Hill Estates?

If I remember rightly 163 is 2 routes that First combined together many years ago to make one route as 163 only used to run as far as Darn Hill Highlander (Terminus) and I think there was a 164 that ran straight to Heywood from Middleton missing out Langley.
(19/01/2023 06:28)M60lad Wrote:  Isn't the problem with 163 the route it actually takes I mean who really want's to travel from Middleton-Bury via both Langley and Darn Hill Estates?

If I remember rightly 163 is 2 routes that First combined together many years ago to make one route as 163 only used to run as far as Darn Hill Highlander (Terminus) and I think there was a 164 that ran straight to Heywood from Middleton missing out Langley.

The 164 operated via Langley..163 operated direct via Hollin lane to Heywood & terminated at Darn Hill....until they extended it to Bury..then they changed the 164 to run via Dam Head...then they merged the 2 routes & it all became the 163

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)