Current time: 26/04/2024, 14:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail
RE: Merseyrail
(26/03/2021 14:11)508134 Wrote:  Any news of when the next 777 delivery may take place?
I thought around Easter the next 777 deliveries would be due.

I’m not really sure now.
Production in Poland has been put on hold for 6 months because of not being able to receive them here at the moment. It’s not affected the production line in St Margrethen at present, so there may be some coming over from there, or they may be able to store some there till Merseyrail can accept them
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
The driver of the train involved in the derailment at Kirkby has been arrested on suspicion of endangering the safety of the railway, name hasn't been published but the driver was 58.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv...y-20295187
As widely expected, 507006 will be scrapped, 507021 is expected back in service next month
(31/03/2021 16:43)NathanR Wrote:  The driver of the train involved in the derailment at Kirkby has been arrested on suspicion of endangering the safety of the railway, name hasn't been published but the driver was 58.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv...y-20295187

Furthermore, there are claims that the driver had moved away from the controls to pick up his bag before the accident, which needs to be analysed by investigators.

Source: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv...y-20361548
This may sound like a speculation but I assure you all and the administrators that it is not.

1 of my uncle's used to drive merseyrail trains on the wirral side and he explained to me on a rare family visit that the units are fitted with I think he called it a dsd pedal.

The idea of the pedal was that a driver can put their foot on it once the power handle has been pulled to the relevant position for starting from a station, the driver can put their foot on the pedal and that holds the power handle in the position it was moved to for starting from that station.

In a sense you have 2 deadman's safety features, if you let go of the power handle ( I'm not sure of the exact terminology for it ) the train will automatically apply the brakes and stop, if you have you foot on the pedal while your motoring and building up to the line speed and say had a medical episode which causes your foot to come off that pedal, the power handle will spring forwards to notch zero and stop the train.

In conclusion of this I can say that if the driver left the controls to get his bag, that dsd pedal would have caused the power control handle to spring forward and for the brakes to be applied.
All very true but they also have a button they can press to temporarily supress the DSD it if they need to cross to the opposite side of the cab .
;
The real question is more likely to be why the Train Protection and Warning System didn't stop the train.
Agreed
Is the DSD pedal on there where you have to press down all the time then lift up on the alarm or do you just have your foot close by then press the pedal when the alarm goes? (I'm sure the alarm goes off every 1-2 minutes unless the power/brake has been moved) I'm thinking if it's a press down on the alarm, the driver may have just had the alarm so knew that they had time to move.
(12/04/2021 13:29)mikestone Wrote:  All very true but they also have a button they can press to temporarily supress the DSD it if they need to cross to the opposite side of the cab .
;
The real question is more likely to be why the Train Protection and Warning System didn't stop the train.

There is no button to temporarily suppress the DSD
As far as I understand it so there may be a few incorrect details but please bare with me.

The DSD pedal is of the type where it will hold the power handlein the position you require in respect of line speed or whether you are starting from a terminus station on your return journey, it will hold the power control handle in that position ( 1, 2, 3 or 4 ).

The difference between the type fitted on the 507/508 units compared to the type on high speed trains.
The 507/508 pedal is a small pedal located on the right of the foot area in the cab whereas the pedal on high speed trains takes up the full width of the foot area.

On our 507/508 units, the driver only needs to use their right foot but on the high speed trains, the driver has to use both feet.

The alarm is a vigilance device that goes off ever 60 or 90 seconds and is only on high speed passenger trains but also the alarm is used on freight trains.

Commuter trains do not have this feature as far as I know.

User(s) browsing this thread: 20 Guest(s)