Current time: 18/04/2024, 00:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
RE: Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
Interesting that night services are dropping like flies after the "everything in the garden is lovely" article in Buses.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(10/03/2019 07:20)mikestone Wrote:  Interesting that night services are dropping like flies after the "everything in the garden is lovely" article in Buses.

Yes, the positive spin the 'Buses' article gave on night bus services is very much at odds with the reality of the situation on Merseyside.

Personally, I could never understand why the long Chester-Liverpool route was deemed the most appropriate Wirral service to reintroduce night buses on. I would have thought that a more frequent service confined within the county boundary (Eastham, West Kirby, New Brighton) would have been a better plan.
I think the night services in the country other than London just seems to be a non starter , they are never on long enough to make a difference .

Maybe some services could finish around 1am on some of the routes that the major operators run here on merseyside , but the demand has been suppressed by the economy for services after that time .
(10/03/2019 09:39)Barney Wrote:  Yes, the positive spin the 'Buses' article gave on night bus services is very much at odds with the reality of the situation on Merseyside.

Personally, I could never understand why the long Chester-Liverpool route was deemed the most appropriate Wirral service to reintroduce night buses on. I would have thought that a more frequent service confined within the county boundary (Eastham, West Kirby, New Brighton) would have been a better plan.

West Kirby and New Brighton had in the past had night services
I dont see why they cant just reduce the PVR to 1 and operate the 150, that actually picked up as people used it to Birkenhead to pick up Taxi's from there

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(10/03/2019 09:52)T42 PVM Wrote:  I don't see why they can't just reduce the PVR to 1 and operate the 150. That actually picked up as people used it to Birkenhead to pick up taxis from there.

This is exactly what existed between 1956 and 1997 when Merseybus greatly expanded night bus services. The last commercial Tunnel service was operated by Ace Travel, I believe.
(10/03/2019 10:22)Barney Wrote:  This is exactly what existed between 1956 and 1997 when Merseybus greatly expanded night bus services. The last commercial Tunnel service was operated by Ace Travel, I believe.

Someone i know used to drive it and i would go with him regular, was surprising how well it was used.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
(10/03/2019 11:24)T42 PVM Wrote:  Someone i know used to drive it and i would go with him regular, was surprising how well it was used.

I remember getting the last 150 of the day from Birkenhead to Liverpool in 2005, think may have been withdrawn when the Cross River night buses were withdrawn think 2010, could do with a similar service now, some cab drivers won't go through the tunnels, due to not being able to pick anyone up going back.

Main problem is though Merseytravel are cutting day services due to lack of money, don't think it's going to cut much ice by reintroducing a night service, night services cost a bit more due to drivers wanting more money to work the night bus, why Arriva charged premium fares no passes/day tickets allowed when they had the night bus network

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(10/03/2019 12:24)MTL0201 Wrote:  I remember getting the last 150 of the day from Birkenhead to Liverpool in 2005, think may have been withdrawn when the Cross River night buses were withdrawn think 2010, could do with a similar service now, some cab drivers won't go through the tunnels, due to not being able to pick anyone up going back.

Main problem is though Merseytravel are cutting day services due to lack of money, don't think it's going to cut much ice by reintroducing a night service, night services cost a bit more due to drivers wanting more money to work the night bus, why Arriva charged premium fares no passes/day tickets allowed when they had the night bus network

And thats exactly why the N1 doesnt make money, same with the nights 86/86A, its mainly passes since the flat fares got dropped, another Merseytravel brilliant idea and they wanted Night buses across the region under the bus alliance on the QBP routes first and then other major routes...they persauded Arriva/Stagecoach to start with 1 & 86s as a trial..clearly failed yet again
(10/03/2019 20:29)mr t Wrote:  And thats exactly why the N1 doesnt make money, same with the nights 86/86A, its mainly passes since the flat fares got dropped, another Merseytravel brilliant idea

I would have thought the 86A would make money, all them students who live on the route along with the Airport, the N1 doing nothing i can understand as i dont think there was ever a Night Bus that way

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)