Current time: 18/04/2024, 15:19 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Avon Buses
RE: Avon Buses
(10/10/2018 18:53)mrailman200 Wrote:  Same old story all the time these days !! None of this rubbish back in the likes of the 80's , any one want to speculate why it wasnt like this back in them years = answer government cuts ...people still need public transport in All areas really ...all down to pounds shillings and pence tho

It's because at dereg, the Thatcher government gave local authorities enough funds to make it look like there was very little reduction in service compared to the Nationalised days. As time has gone on, two factors have reduced resources authorities have for bus services. One being a reduction in operators, thus lack of competition and thus higher tender prices and secondly government cuts although these have only been imposed since 2010. Sadly unless a different system comes in, the present system will lead to only major corridors being served and anywhere else being a bus desert. Apologies for what may seem like a long explanation and going a little off topic but sadly these are the circumstances we find ourselves in at present.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(10/10/2018 20:52)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  Why would Arriva reintroduce a service commercially, when it was cut due to being unaffordable and was then supported by Merseytravel who are no longer doing so?

the evening and Sunday 492/5 have never been ran by Arriva so they wouldn’t be reintroducing anything, and also did I say for them to run it commercially?
They could have at least took on the merseytravel contract for that route

Follow me on flickr
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(10/10/2018 21:31)busdude Wrote:  the evening and Sunday 492/5 have never been ran by Arriva so they wouldn’t be reintroducing anything, and also did I say for them to run it commercially?
If it was as simple as the 492/495 then there is a small chance it could work but it is the fact that it then interworked and made a 4 bus cycle with the 124/125. The 492 and 495 take 6.6k combined monthly. For 2 buses, I think that is really good. However, the 124/125 only takes 1k per month so 7.6k for 4 buses.... When you shrink it all down to the daily figures, that really isn't very good.
The likes of the 492/495 and many other former Avon routes are marginal in terms of profits versus running costs which is why they were originally subsidised The big guns can't make enough money to justify running them in the long term it will be interesting to see 12 months down the line if Arriva are still running the 83A/10/10A and if Stagecoach are running the 22. A smaller company might be able to run the routes at a profit but that might come at a cost in terms of a reduced provision. Against this is apart from some areas most of Avon's routes ran over sections of either an Arriva or Stagecoach route so this could lead other operators to deem them as un-profitable. The sad thing is I can't see Merseytravel stepping in to cover most of Avon;s work as the public purse is shrinking not growing and the money is just not there to cover everything so personally I think that a lot of ex-Avon routes will soon be a dim and distant memory for passengers and enthusiast alike
The 77 will have to be looked at in some form , maybe without the Kings Lane or Town Lane section and straight from Borough Road up to LeverCauseway , even if only every 2 hours.
(10/10/2018 21:31)busdude Wrote:  the evening and Sunday 492/5 have never been ran by Arriva so they wouldn’t be reintroducing anything, and also did I say for them to run it commercially?

By reintroduce I refer to the fact that the service currently isn’t operating and won’t be within the near future and therefore Arriva would be reintroducing a evening and Sunday service.

You never said it would be ran commercially either, however as Merseytravel have no money to fund such a service, logically it would have to be commercially operated by Arriva themselves.
Well if the 77 has to be looked so does the 84 seems how it served Clatterbridge Hospital. Yet another hospital link lost to the residents of Eastham and Bromborough. Now those poor passengers either have a long winded journey to at least Rock Ferry to connect with the 410 or an even more messy journey of 41 or 42 to Croft Retail Park then 38 to Bebington Station to connect with the 410. And I also appreciate that the passengers on the 16/17 route also have the same problem and that is even more laughable as they have no service all week when they need to get to the Hospital but hey presto they can get there on Sat when most if not all clinics don;t operate. So maybe provision on the 16/17 needs to be looked at too
From 15th October the 144 Bootle - Litherland is to be operated by Warringtons Own Buses, That is some dead mileage!

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(12/10/2018 10:08)T42 PVM Wrote:  From 15th October the 144 Bootle - Litherland is to be operated by Warringtons Own Buses, That is some dead mileage!

Probably the nearest company available to do the work , doesn't augur well for other services does it .
(12/10/2018 11:46)wirralbus Wrote:  Probably the nearest company available to do the work , doesn't augur well for other services does it .

I wonder what vehicles they’ll use do they have any spare Cadets?

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)