Current time: 19/04/2024, 13:27 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach MCSL - Chester & Wirral Depots
RE: Stagecoach Chester & Wirral
Are there any Chester drivers are here able to advise as to why the old storage carriage building in the new depot fenced off?

[Image: 28219738595_5f67980003_m.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(03/06/2018 14:14)iMarkeh Wrote:  The X8 isn't a good example. The faster it is, the more people it gets. They threw it into Chester Zoo far too quickly which now adds on too much time and all the early/late trips pick up/drop off not a sole. It is ridiculous. The X8 was meant to compete with trains originally but all the reliability measures and the Zoo have added far too much time to it.

I've always found it strange that pretty much every X8 went via the Zoo, given that at certain times of day (notably early mornings), the 1 skips the call at the zoo?
Hypothetically, would it not make sense to introduce a dedicated bus service from chester bus stn to the zoo and return to prevent the need for main road services like the 1 & X8 to go there.
(05/06/2018 16:34)chester285 Wrote:  Are there any Chester drivers are here able to advise as to why the old storage carriage building in the new depot fenced off?

The building itself is unsafe. Because it is one of the listed buildings within the premises, stagecoach have applied and been successful in getting planning permission to knock that building down.

I have heard that the oil yard next door is losing some of its fleet so wont be needing the whole yard. Whether stagecoach have bought part of morreys yard is yet to be seen. There is a depot meeting tomorrow night so we'll see what other news we have.

Follow me on Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/people/135528304@N03/
(05/06/2018 16:34)chester285 Wrote:  Are there any Chester drivers are here able to advise as to why the old storage carriage building in the new depot fenced off?
They want it knocking down but depends if they can get planning permission. Also the deckers back onto the fence but as they wouldn't fit under the roof of the building, it is easier to use the fences than a bus knock down the building while reversing. Also there is a portacabin storage office behind the building so they will want to access that.

I don't know if this is the official reason but it seems likely it is something to do with the roof and deckers not fitting under it.

(05/06/2018 16:43)Turbostar19 Wrote:  I've always found it strange that pretty much every X8 went via the Zoo, given that at certain times of day (notably early mornings), the 1 skips the call at the zoo?
Apparently the zoo requested it for staff. The way I see it, they wouldn't run it if the Zoo didn't request it. It isn't being funded by the zoo so really, why are they doing it? They wouldn't do it anywhere else. Cheshire Oaks is somewhat the same story. That doesn't open until 10am. Yet buses at 5, 6, 7 serve them? Not serving the zoo would knock off 5 minutes (As they have too long as it is and sit round the zoo for 3 minutes). 5 minutes is a big difference to passengers. In the morning, timings matter. In the afternoon, people don't mind buses taking a bit longer or walking a bit further to the bus stop. In the morning it is vital though to be as fast as possible. The quicker the bus, the more people will use it.
(05/06/2018 17:41)508143 Wrote:  Hypothetically, would it not make sense to introduce a dedicated bus service from chester bus stn to the zoo and return to prevent the need for main road services like the 1 & X8 to go there.

That already exists as the park & ride. Normal fare paying passengers can also use this service.

The 1 and X8 calling at the zoo pick up people trvelling to/from work and day trippers coming to the zoo from Liverpool and Wirral. Without this passengers would have to travel to and from Chester additionally
(05/06/2018 17:45)clarkethomas94 Wrote:  The building itself is unsafe. Because it is one of the listed buildings within the premises, stagecoach have applied and been successful in getting planning permission to knock that building down.

I have heard that the oil yard next door is losing some of its fleet so wont be needing the whole yard. Whether stagecoach have bought part of morreys yard is yet to be seen. There is a depot meeting tomorrow night so we'll see what other news we have.

I would be very surprised if Stagecoach hadn't purchased part of the morreys yard at least when the old building is down it will give them the extra space and tidy the parking up abit!

[Image: 28219738595_5f67980003_m.jpg]
Apologies if this has already been mentioned but what routes do the Solos go on
(05/06/2018 18:28)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  That already exists as the park & ride. Normal fare paying passengers can also use this service.

The 1 and X8 calling at the zoo pick up people trvelling to/from work and day trippers coming to the zoo from Liverpool and Wirral. Without this passengers would have to travel to and from Chester additionally

The park and ride doesn't take fare paying passengers. You can only get on if you have a valid ticket. You can't travel between intermediate stops and pay. I have previously emailed the council to get clarification on this as Arrivas prices along Sealand Road into town are astronomical.

The best thing I would say is extend the 1 to the train station. I doubt Stagecoach would do it though with them being friends with Helms (Given most people would have or purchase day tickets on the Stagecoach bus as they run earlier and later). Extending the 1 (when the deckers come) would allow for better connections and it much more frequent to the zoo to start with which would possibly reduce the amount of dupes needed.

You could also make the dupes unadvertised so you don't cause confusion like on the current X8 timetables at bus stops, it shows a really regular service to the train station with notes saying only certain dates etc. With the X8, you kind of have to show them on timetables to show people you run more than hourly on a Sunday but only on certain dates. If people see you run hourly, they aren't likely to jump on but every 20 minutes, they are more likely to use public transport. As the 1 is already every 20 minutes, you wouldn't want or need to add too many dupes on like you have to on the X8.

I think the benefits of it well outweigh the cost of the extra bus. Plus the extra X8 customers you would gain from the service being faster. I think it would make more money for both routes in the long run. I doubt they would do it though.

A Chester Bus Stn - Zoo service and removing the 1 and X8 from the zoo wouldn't work because people travel from the wirral and Eport into the zoo so when you think of it that way, it would use more resources and make less money. I do see where you are coming from though.

There is a little site just opposite Demage Lane at the back of the Islands development. It's a shame they don't make that into a bus stop area. IF they did that, all buses would stop there. The issue is you have to go into the zoo. When the zoo is busy it seriously delays services. When it is dead, it is a useless stop. I think if there was a stop outside on the main road somewhere with a pedestrian entrance, they would have more buses. The 26 may even call in there as it is closeish to where that runs. Into the zoo takes too long and that is where all the issues lie.
(05/06/2018 22:44)iMarkeh Wrote:  The park and ride doesn't take fare paying passengers. You can only get on if you have a valid ticket. You can't travel between intermediate stops and pay. I have previously emailed the council to get clarification on this as Arrivas prices along Sealand Road into town are astronomical.

It must have changed within the last few years or reformation into the PR1/PR2

Youused to be able to buy on board for the 32 (£2 return to Chester Zoo from chester stn) before the X8, I remember asking Stagecoach MCSL on twitter the best way to travel there and it was recommend. (What they forgot to mention was that the park and ride only called there during peak season and instead I'd have to walk to the old Chester Bus Stn to catch it Laugh )

User(s) browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)