Current time: 29/03/2024, 10:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Warrington's Own Buses
RE: Warrington's Own Buses
(27/04/2018 14:20)Barney Wrote:  Isn't Network Warrington an arms-length subsidiary of Warrington Council? If this is the case, why would the council promote a rival company? You never see Tesco's promoting Sainsbury's or any other supermarket chain. There is nothing corrupt about this practice; it's the way it used to be before deregulation.
Yes however as others have said, councils should be neutral. If Fairbrothers, Link or Arriva wanted to do this to bus stops, they would not allow it. Before deregulation, there was hardly that much competition if any. Councils ran their own buses so obviously promote it as there isn't an alternative. Nowadays, Halton, Arriva, Link, Fairbrothers, First and Howards have buses into Warrington (Though the majority aren't over 'Cat' routes, they still operate) so there is a lot more competition. If the council allowed other companies to do the same, it would be different but the fact they encourage Warrington to block stands, they allow all sort of practises other companies would be told off for. And now they knock another nail in the coffin. Halton Council own Halton Transport, I don't see any of this stand blocking, wasting taxpayers money on dupes, generally being a nuisance to all bus companies. Everyone gets along, no issues in Halton with regards to competition. It is all friendly. As KnutsfordTransport has said (quoted below) they have to state about other companies being available and give proper unbiased information. NW staff are saying other bus companies don't stop at places (for example Fairbrothers don't stop at the hospital) to stop people using other buses.

(27/04/2018 15:46)knutstransport Wrote:  A lot has changed since deregulation regarding what publicly owned companies, in general, can and can't do.

Try comparing a publicly funded local council with the publicly funded BBC instead of non-tax payer funded supermarkets who don't have any legal obligation to provide services to the general public. The BBC are allowed to advertise their own commercial products but have to include a disclaimer that alternatives are available e.g. when they used to own Radio Times there was always an advert on BBC channels every Tuesday that "The new Radio Times is out now...." followed by "Other TV listings magazines are available."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(28/04/2018 14:10)iMarkeh Wrote:  Yes however as others have said, councils should be neutral. If Fairbrothers, Link or Arriva wanted to do this to bus stops, they would not allow it. Before deregulation, there was hardly that much competition if any. Councils ran their own buses so obviously promote it as there isn't an alternative. Nowadays, Halton, Arriva, Link, Fairbrothers, First and Howards have buses into Warrington (Though the majority aren't over 'Cat' routes, they still operate) so there is a lot more competition. If the council allowed other companies to do the same, it would be different but the fact they encourage Warrington to block stands, they allow all sort of practises other companies would be told off for. And now they knock another nail in the coffin. Halton Council own Halton Transport, I don't see any of this stand blocking, wasting taxpayers money on dupes, generally being a nuisance to all bus companies. Everyone gets along, no issues in Halton with regards to competition. It is all friendly. As KnutsfordTransport has said (quoted below) they have to state about other companies being available and give proper unbiased information. NW staff are saying other bus companies don't stop at places (for example Fairbrothers don't stop at the hospital) to stop people using other buses.

‘Network WRrington staff are saying other bus companies don’t stop at other places (for example Fairbrother’s don’t stop at the hospital). Out of interest what evidence do you have of this? I’m Network Warrington staff and this is the first Iv heard of this...
Had mixed experience of the new Cat services yesterday.

The 5a from Partington to Lymm was right on time. It turns using the Warburton Lane and Manchester Road behind the old Greyhound in Partington. Whilst waiting at Partington for time, a gentleman passing told the driver 'its a long time since we had a bus to Warrington! What times do you run?' The driver simply said he didn't know or couldn't understand! Not very helpful!

I walked from Lymm to Dunham with friends. They don't use buses so was looking forward to introducing them to the new service. However the Cat 5 was running over 30 mins late! We got to the stop 10 mins early so waited 40 mins in total. They were not impressed, it just reinforced their opinion that buses in that area are unreliable. A chance to win over new customers lost, they will not be using them again.
(29/04/2018 09:03)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  ‘Network WRrington staff are saying other bus companies don’t stop at other places (for example Fairbrother’s don’t stop at the hospital). Out of interest what evidence do you have of this? I’m Network Warrington staff and this is the first Iv heard of this...

I, for obvious reasons can't say who it was (or their role) but it was a few months ago when Fairbrothers were starting the 16Hs, staff were heard telling people Fairbrothers don't stop at the hospital. Unsure if has been dealt with (another reason I won't name names or roles). Unless you were involved you were highly unlikely to hear about it.
Updated list of registrations:

201 - CH04 CAT
202 - CH06 CAT
203 - CH12 CAT
204 - CH56 CAT
205 - CH57 CAT
206 - CH58 CAT
207 - CH59 CAT
208 - CH62 CAT
209 - YX18 KTP
210 - YX18 KTT
211 - YX18 KTV
212 - YX18 KUA
213 - YX18 KUB
Does anybody know if these still have YX67UZB E400MMC demo? The post has gone missing from their Facebook page
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(01/05/2018 07:25)RedPanda Wrote:  Does anybody know if these still have YX67UZB E400MMC demo? The post has gone missing from their Facebook page

Yes it’s at the back of the yard. I had a walk around it yesterday, what a truly lovely vehicle it is.
(01/05/2018 07:44)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  Yes it’s at the back of the yard. I had a walk around it yesterday, what a truly lovely vehicle it is.

Thanks, I’ll keep my eye open when I visit tomorrow
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(01/05/2018 07:44)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  Yes it’s at the back of the yard. I had a walk around it yesterday, what a truly lovely vehicle it is.

Is it not for service and just for the management to have a look at?
(30/04/2018 13:08)Y474 KNF Wrote:  Updated list of registrations:

201 - CH04 CAT
202 - CH06 CAT
203 - CH12 CAT
204 - CH56 CAT
205 - CH57 CAT
206 - CH58 CAT
207 - CH59 CAT
208 - CH62 CAT
209 - YX18 KTP
210 - YX18 KTT
211 - YX18 KTV
212 - YX18 KUA
213 - YX18 KUB
Thanks for this list. Can I ask if they have all been delivered now & if so are they all in service.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)