Current time: 11/06/2024, 09:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
(24/02/2017 20:17)Dentonian Wrote:  Unfortunately, bus company marketing people don't agree. Whether that is right or wrong is a matter of opinion, but the whole thing is undermined by putting either branded buses or any other sub-type on the wrong routes - or not on routes at all! Today, I travelled on the 76 (on branded 10048) and as with a previous mid morning weekday journey, it was obvious how poorly loaded the service is, with probably four full fare paying passengers on the whole journey to Oldham. Also, even with a diversion round the by-pass and the inevitable German-built saloon cutting across the front of the bus on Manchester Street, we still arrived on West Street two minutes early. I would say only 7 of the 10 branded buses was on the route, leaving five workings with standard Enviro400s. Actually, that wasn't the main example of what I was talking about. As some may know, crew reliefs for the 76 are done at Phillips Park Cemetery (just north of the Etihad). One was being effected as we passed in the opposite direction. And the "taxi" bus being used to get the driver to the unbranded 76 parked up was: 10475. The opposite side of the equation being when I got back to Piccadilly, the 2.03 (pm ie. still off-peak) 203 was standard Enviro400 19417. I'm sure the business plan for Hyde Road's MMCs wasn't to use them earning 0p a day on taxi buses, when the allocation of MMCs is insufficient to cover 201, 203, 250 & X50 in the first place.

I agree with the point about the 330; The child-like drawings look like they've been plajeurised from the Koln-Bonn Airport website, and the claim it runs every 30 minutes is a joke, as the advertised timetable varies considerably during the day, and is then undermined in practice - apparently because someone has totally c**ked up Traffic Light cycle timings in Bredbury and refuses to fix it. The only good thing about the service is that the drivers I've seen are able to keep professional and polite in their jobs, despite the often horrendous punctuality.

Someone mentioned that the use of branded 330s on other routes was down to being instructed to "spread the word" as part of the subsidy agreement. This might well be true, and I can see the point of said buses appearing on such as 216 & 236/7. Might be a "mixed message" on 347 though, given Denton used to have a direct bus to the Airport, and far more frequent connections to Stockport.

Regarding taxi buses. I made the argument a couple of years ago to a stagecoach inspector in Ashton that it was crazy that double deckers were used on taxi duties while single deckers were being used on afternoon peaks where passengers were forced to stand because the bus was packed to the rafters and his reply was that the buses used on taxis were technically out of service for routine inspection.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
GM buses did have a double decker taxi bus operating from tameside depot the bus station and back but what was the number.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonesy3001/

If it's not in london they dont want to know
(25/02/2017 21:03)Dentonian Wrote:  Depends when you are referring to. It was common practice to retain a bus recently withdrawn from passenger service for the regular taxi shuttle between Whitelands Road and Ashton. Albeit in my day (GMT raher than GMB) it was a single decker. Ex NorthWestern Bristol RE 299 and then 320 iirc!

it also can be a bus that is fit for the road but got a defect preventing it from being in Service
On Tuesday the 19.05 42a from Heaton Chapel to Manchester (don't know the start time from Reddish) displayed 42b including via Cheadle among other places. Then on Thursday the 19.53 42 from Stockport to Manchester displayed 42a including via Heaton Moor.
19406,reported to have gone to Sharston ,was on the 42B today
Looks like Hyde Road have got the new ticket machines installed on their vehicles ahead of the contactless payment launch.
(27/02/2017 20:25)Dentonian Wrote:  42B is a Hyde Road service!
Yes I know.But 19406 was reported as having moved from Hyde Rd to Sharston.
(27/02/2017 20:07)SF07 Wrote:  Looks like Hyde Road have got the new ticket machines installed on their vehicles ahead of the contactless payment launch.

Yup at fitted now Just to wait for the start date and we rolling.

I hope that Manchester goes the way most cities have gone where its either No cash on bus or no change is given allowing the Bus driver to just Drive the Bus
Flying its way to Middleton Depot is 330 Airport branded 10582 which according to a post on Social Media is there for type training ready for when Middletons new MMCs start arriving.
(28/02/2017 11:10)Dentonian Wrote:  Poor choice of vehicle. Surely, they should stick to the route they are advertising. As for this idea of marketing the "brand" beyond the 330 route, I hardly see the point of including North Manchester at all - and certainly not until punctuality is sorted. I accept that the punctuality problems are largely outside Stagecoach's control, but nevertheless..........

What has branding got to do with the choice of vehicle for engineering and driver training? Come on, it's a bus - this is starting to sound pathetic now.

User(s) browsing this thread: 14 Guest(s)