Current time: 02/05/2024, 15:49 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greater Manchester Franchising
RE: Greater Manchester Franchising
(28/03/2021 10:16)knutstransport Wrote:  Cities like London were congested with cars and had extremely high levels of pollution, it made sense to do something to encourage people to switch to greener modes of travel.

I know people who live in Greater Manchester and who drive to work who have come unstuck when a problem has arisen meaning either their car is unavailable or they are unable to drive it and they need to look at public transport instead, only to find there isn't a suitable public transport option. I know of one person from Oldham who had to pay £25 per day in taxi fares (and hoping his insurer would refund it) after someone hit him on his motorbike and he had no motorbike to ride and even if he had been provided a courtesy one he wouldn't have been able to ride it. Not everyone works in the city centre so the trams every few minutes couldn't get him to work.

I'm not sure I understand your office workers subsiding pubs statement, given that many pubs benefit from office workers going there for their lunch or after work drinks.

Agreed. Whilst manchesters linear bus&tram routes are generally frequent enough (if slow), the orbital routes, and routes radial to secondary centres usually aren’t enough to offer a good alternative to the car if you can’t make the journey without changing.

A good example is that my radial route is changing its hourly evening service by 20-25 minutes in April. It currently times well with 3 of the 4 secondary routes that cross it. . After the change it only links with the the one it currently doesn’t interline with
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Greater Manchester Franchising - djb - 28/03/2021 14:12

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)