Current time: 02/06/2024, 13:47 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liverpool City Region Bus Franchising
RE: Liverpool City Region Bus Franchising
(25/06/2023 10:39)CUL 73V Wrote:  So we should remove private sector competition, which doesn't cost the taxpayer a penny, at the expense of the taxpayer? I don't see your logic there.

I'm afraid fares won't be cheaper than they are now. As I and others have said, council tax will be higher, making it a complete false economy. In addition, the huge sum of money LCR have admitted they'd need to borrow for startup costs will have to be repaid. They won't be able to afford to set cheaper fares. It's just spin to make people buy into this utterly ridiculous idea which benefits nobody.

I'll also have to pay towards a service I don't have to pay for as a benefit of my employment. I don't see the logic or fairness in that one.

Council tax will have to be increased to pay for franchising. I don't know how many times you need to be told.

In case it's escaped you, we're in a cost of living crisis. The city region quite obviously can't afford this system, otherwise they wouldn't have borrow the money which the taxpayer will have to pay back. You might have money to waste, but a large number of people in this region, including my partner and I who have to provide for our children, don't.

The alternate model of enhanced partnership leaves the financial burden with the private sector. That's the best place for it.

The fact a Conservative Government was prepared to undo the 1985 Transport Act that led to deregulation and the privatisation of the bus industry must tell you something: it hasn't worked.

These private operators were given tens of millions during the pandemic and were not obliged to pay a penny back. Essentially, the taxpayer (you and I) picked up the tab though the shareholders still received their dividends.

The franchising model as envisaged does not remove private sector competition: it increases it. As can be seen in Manchester, the incumbent operator in Wigan with a virtual monopoly which, incidentally, fought and lost this move to franchising in the High Court, submitted a bid that was unacceptable to TfGM. Clearly it has learned its lesson as it has just won the second tranche in Oldham and Middleton at the expense of First and GNW.

It is little wonder that you are opposed to any increase in council tax as you and your family already receive free - not discounted - bus travel.

I could argue but I won't, though many childless (I have several children) people do, that I should not have to pay income tax to educate your children or provide them with free health care.

The enhanced partnership model is an option but it still leaves bus services and fares at the discretion of the operator not the travelling public and that it why the franchising model is favoured across Europe and around the world, including the USA.

Outside of London and NI, the UK has endured deregulated bus services for almost forty years and I would suggest that you would need to have been born before 1970 to have any appreciation of the benefits of a regulated one. My understanding is that the TfGM franchises are awarded for five years and I don't think it unreasonable to at least give it this amount of time before any judgement is made on its merits or otherwise.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Liverpool City Region Bus Franchising - Barney - 25/06/2023 13:05

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)