Current time: 23/05/2024, 02:51 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Northern (Arriva Rail North)
RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North)
(31/08/2019 15:57)313201 Wrote:  Just a hypothetical question if I may, if northern are retaining the 323s as has now been confirmed, would it not make sense possibly to outfit the 319s with toilets and maybe a small retail unit on board.

If that could not be accomodated in a 4 car unit, what would be the possibility of using the withdrawn coaches from class 320s or 321s that went up to Scotland reduced to 3 car units.

These could be coupled into the 319s making them 5 car units where the new 5th coach could have the small retail unit fitted out thus enabling the 319s to run on longer distance journeys to York or beyond up to Newcastle or Edinburgh.

You might all be saying I don't know anything BUT in my straight up opinion, it would be worth considering.

I mean if they can rip out seats just go try out a pointless hydrogen idea or flex sets where generators provide traction power go the 319s motors then surely adding a 5th coach which is of similar design go the original 319 coaches and at least try out the ideas above, if that means upgrading the traction system to give them more umpfff to move a 5 car unit then to me, there could be potential.

Finally, if more 5 car units were produced or at the extreme case, 6 car units formed of 2 × PTSO, 2 × TSO & 2 × DTSO which would give the units 8 motors over a 6 car unit and provide more than enough traction.

Just a few tboughts and ideas but as I said, sonething that northern could possibly consider trying.

Not too sure what the point of that would be when the 319’s are being replace by further 323’s from West Midlands in a direct swap with Porterbrook. Might as well just throw money straight into a bin.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Northern (Arriva Rail North) - Raawwwrrr! - 31/08/2019 18:09

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)