Current time: 03/06/2024, 08:53 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Closure of bus lanes in Liverpool
RE: Closure of bus lanes in Liverpool
(08/03/2014 10:50)Barney Wrote:  Idea I heard on BBC radio yesterday that Joe Anderson is giving serious consideration to installing Red Routes, similar to the ones that exist in London, for the certain roads in Liverpool. Ironically many of these roads were until recently peak hour bus lanes. The rationale for this is that inconsiderate motorists and delivery vans are parking on double yellow lines causing congestion, slowing down traffic flow (and bus services!) in the sure knowledge that they will avoid a parking ticket from a passing LEO.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the scheme, this will make it illegal to stop FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME whilst driving in one of these roads at designated times. The routes are under constant CCTV surveillance with ANPR facility and automatically issue a fine to anybody who breaks the bye-law.

The areas mentioned in the report were Kensington and Smithdown Road, but from my own experience this could also include the stretch of County Road in Walton that was a bus lane until it was a suspended late last year.

As a motorist, I would have no problem with this proposal being implemented. What do other people think?

So just to be clear, there is no contradiction in having bus stops on red routes is there?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(08/03/2014 12:06)Valandil Wrote:  So just to be clear, there is no contradiction in having bus stops on red routes is there?

No. The CCTV/ANPR can identify which vehicle is a PCV or a hackney cab. It works well in London in that motorists don't chance "just popping into the shop for a minute".

The feed-back was quite positive with many radio interviewees (both pedestrians and motorists) but not with shop-owners who fear the loss of passing trade. As I have said, as a motorist myself, I find it annoying that many motorists totally ignore the double yellow line law. I am sure it frustrates and infuriates bus drivers. I suspect that Red Routes would go some way to assuaging the bus companies' annoyance at the suspension of the bus lanes.
Now we are getting closer to the official end of the bus lane experiment , what is your take on the experiment , from what I have seen in Central Liverpool there has been no discernible problems , but some of you may have come across delays or problems in the suburbs .
Watch how much money the liverpool council will rake in when the bus lanes reopen by ticketing drivers who still think they can use them.
(24/05/2014 16:54)motormayhem1 Wrote:  Watch how much money the liverpool council will rake in when the bus lanes reopen by ticketing drivers who still think they can use them.

Excellent. I might get my weekly bin collection back.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(25/05/2014 07:10)childwallblues Wrote:  Excellent. I might get my weekly bin collection back.

Highly unlikely the change to fortnightly is touted as being on environmental grounds , but god only knows where the money goes from the fines .
Well i know one place it doesnt go and thats fixing the roads as the main trunk roads going into liverpool are horrendous with big potholes.
Oh I have been the recipient of giant pothole in Great Howard Street , this particular pothole actually went down through all the road surface and was starting to force the aggregate under the surface up and become a hazard to other road users .

Is there not going to be consultation though on the Bus Lanes though , do bus lanes work though is the question that the mayor was trying to ask , some of the ones in the city centre should be reintroduced and some should not be reinstated but that's my opinion.
Some of the main trunk roads in Liverpool are shocking, its like playing a big game of dodge the hole when you are in your car at times.
(25/05/2014 17:23)MPTE1955 Wrote:  Some of the main trunk roads in Liverpool are shocking, its like playing a big game of dodge the hole when you are in your car at times.

Oh i do fear for the cycling fraternity on some of the roads .

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)