Current time: 26/04/2024, 05:45 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Closure of bus lanes in Liverpool
Closure of bus lanes in Liverpool
First before anything I would like to apologise if this is in the wrong thread OR if there is already a similar discussion elsewhere!

Closure of bus lanes, this is getting every bus driver talking!

What a nightmare this is going to be.

Should it not have been the other way round, Cars not allowed in to Liverpool City Centre Mon-Sat day and eves? Rather than allowing them to use BUS LANES! So much for encouraging people to use public transport!

One way to ease congestion in the City Centre is simple, don't allow cars in to Liverpool CC of a day and weekends. OR. bring in a congestion charge.

In the whole of the Merseyside area, Hanover Street stands and remains at the most number of incidents involving pedestrians and buses!

We should be encouraging more people to use our buses and not to be jumping in there cars!

Id like to hear your thoughts on this!

Sorry about the rant! Hammer
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Closure of bus lanes in Liverpool.
(11/10/2013 13:31)Official Wrote:  First before anything I would like to apologise if this is in the wrong thread OR if there is already a similar discussion elsewhere!

Closure of bus lanes, this is getting every bus driver talking!

What a nightmare this is going to be.

Should it not have been the other way round, Cars not allowed in to Liverpool City Centre Mon-Sat day and eves? Rather than allowing them to use BUS LANES! So much for encouraging people to use public transport!

One way to ease congestion in the City Centre is simple, don't allow cars in to Liverpool CC of a day and weekends. OR. bring in a congestion charge.

In the whole of the Merseyside area, Hanover Street stands and remains at the most number of incidents involving pedestrians and buses!

We should be encouraging more people to use our buses and not to be jumping in there cars!

Id like to hear your thoughts on this!

Sorry about the rant! Hammer

Personally I don't agree with the closure of bus lanes, it is really a stupid idiot from a mayor who is not fit for purpose. I speak as both car driver and bus passenger, and use both to get to work depending on the day of the week. No problem with bus lanes at all, there are one or two places where the bus lane is in a stupid place but there you go.
I think the mayor is just going backwards not looking forwards , but he is pandering to his electors. Bus Lanes in the right places are good for the running of traffic .

I am just glad he is only Mayor of Liverpool and not the region as a whole .
I agree, the mayor is going backwards, this sort of thing was tried in Birmingham a few years ago and congestion went up by 11%, whilst that might not sound like a huge figure, in traffic it certainly is, this mayor hasn't got a clue. Anyway I'll stop there on the mayor as that is another subject altogether. With regards to bus lanes, ask the people who use buses that go through Rice Lane (just an example) what they think when the bus lane goes out of use. Some bus lanes arent even for the whole day but just a two hours in the morning and/or afternoon, the closure of the bus lanes is an absolute joke.
Absolutely crazy idea.

They spend thousands, maybe millions on road layouts, then install expensive CCTV for enforcement purposes, drivers on the whole start getting used to the idea and comply, only for some muppet to come in and destroy that??!

OK, so bus use is declining by a single figure percentage each year in Merseyside, but surely that should be an INCENTIVE to expand (and retain) the bus lane network to make the services more attractive??

Travel is glamorous only in retrospect.
The bus lanes in Merseyside feel half hearted which for me makes them a waste of time anyway, one in particular on Woodchurch Road outside Sainsburys which busses can't use due to cars allowed to park in the bus lane.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(11/10/2013 15:39)MTL0201 Wrote:  The bus lanes in Merseyside feel half hearted which for me makes them a waste of time anyway, one in particular on Woodchurch Road outside Sainsburys which busses can't use due to cars allowed to park in the bus lane.

The Bus Lane you are talking about is a part time bus lane to run in conjunction with the Urban Clearway towards the M53 and if memory serves me right is peak hour only , think this was a sop to the local businesses in that area that it doesnt involve the daytime .
Downright stupid idea what i can envisage happening at busy times is buses will get snarled up in traffic queues causing them to be delayed possibly resulting in drivers terminating the journey early and continuing OOS to the destination to make up lost time so they wont be late for the next journey the whole purpose of bus lanes is to allow the buses to run smoothly and keep to time and all bus lanes that are part time should be made full time with stiff penalties for motorists caught misusing and abusing them.
I wonder how long it will be before the city grinds to a halt and virtual gridlock ensures due to the bus lanes being abolished, I've heard its bad enough sometimes trying to get from Queen Square-Mann Island by bus with some drivers turning short, going to be even worse without the bus lanes in operation, all I'll say is that just wait until the lead up to Christmas when extra traffic is on the roads, you probably won't be able to move round Liverpool, I've with everyone else a daft idea
(12/10/2013 06:42)M60lad Wrote:  I wonder how long it will be before the city grinds to a halt and virtual gridlock ensures due to the bus lanes being abolished, I've heard its bad enough sometimes trying to get from Queen Square-Mann Island by bus with some drivers turning short, going to be even worse without the bus lanes in operation, all I'll say is that just wait until the lead up to Christmas when extra traffic is on the roads, you probably won't be able to move round Liverpool, I've with everyone else a daft idea

This was one of the reason's given for altering the route of the Cross River Services was traffic congestion so that the buses never went into Queen Square Bus Station because of St Johns Lane / Queen Square Bus Station traffic lights .

St Johns Lane bus Lane removal may just make the top of the Queen Square Bus station a hinderance once more , these bus lane removal's are going to lead to some timetable alterations at peak hour to lengthen some journey times as some services will not be able to maintain the timetables they presently operate .

What other hair brained ideas is this mayor going to come up with next.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)