Current time: 19/09/2024, 21:40 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

D&G Bus
RE: D&G Bus
This FOI has been shared in a few places.

D&G requested a funding increase for the Nantwich locals and gave the contractual 3 months notice for the withdrawal at the start of June on the basis that funding would not be increased. A request to cancel the registration was received on 7th August and Cheshire East initially refused to allow the services to be cancelled before 18 September, stating the 56 day de-registration period. D&G protested as it would have hampered their ability to operate their Cheshire West contract to Whitchurch due to driver numbers. A compromise was reached regarding keeping a scholar's service. That does also mean Cheshire East knew about D&G's intention to pull out earlier than they admitted.

It also seems D&G were requesting additional funding for other subsided services, and asking for funding for some commercial services they took on from Arriva. The problem they identified is the cost of the conversion of the former Macclesfield outstation into a fully functioning D&G depot and retaining staff. It does seem a bit rich that they made a commercial decision to move the 88/89/188/130/312 from Wincham to Macclesfield and expect the council to pay more for those routes. Long term reduced dead mileage should mean they can offset the setup costs.

Although, I suspect another problem may have been they won too many contracts based on using Euro VI 28 seaters, when I think they only have 5 of them - vehicles 120/122/129/130/131. They don't have enough to run all the 130, 385 and 312 journeys using them, as well as half the 88s (8 vehicles). I doubt the cost of putting the 09 reg Enviros on the road is cheap - they'll burn more fuel and they seem to need frequent attention for faults. I would guess the 13 reg 35 seater Solo SRs are cheaper to run than the 64 reg 39 seater Enviro 200s.

The 312 was funded for 2 years using S106 funding from the Next development at Handforth Dean.

I've also observed there's just one 39 seater Enviro 200 at Macclesfield now, smaller buses are commonplace on the 188 journeys that previously had larger vehicles allocated.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/w...sthrough=1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Just updated the above to clarify they gave the contract notice but the dispute with Cheshire East was over Cheshire East not wanting to authorise a short notice de-registration when the official paperwork was received on 7 August. If anyone feels the above isn't helpful I'm happy to delete it. I just tried to give a brief explanation, for those who don't have time to read everything, alongside my own opinion.
Had a bus inspector on the 88 recently in TfGM uniform. He was watching how the driver processed tickets and passes very closely. He also stayed on the bus for the entire journey, rather than just alighting at the Greater Manchester boundary and going back. I've never seen one actually board a 88 bus before. The most I've seen is them observing the bus arriving at and leaving Altrincham Interchange.
Picked up a "Mid Cheshire" bus guide from a library. It states both the 49 and 82 are funded by Cheshire West council and the UK Government. Presumably BSIP funding was used to enhance the 49 and to prevent D&G cutting back the 82?
(16/09/2024 18:59)knutstransport Wrote:  Picked up a "Mid Cheshire" bus guide from a library. It states both the 49 and 82 are funded by Cheshire West council and the UK Government. Presumably BSIP funding was used to enhance the 49 and to prevent D&G cutting back the 82?
82 BSIP funding is an additional trip to/from Chester in the evening. The 49 is to boost Weaverham to half hourly. Pre funding, the 49 was hourly Weaverham - Rudheath plus the extras which interworked with the 82. Now the half hourly is more consistent across the day and covers Weaverham.
(17/09/2024 09:37)iMarkeh Wrote:  82 BSIP funding is an additional trip to/from Chester in the evening. The 49 is to boost Weaverham to half hourly. Pre funding, the 49 was hourly Weaverham - Rudheath plus the extras which interworked with the 82. Now the half hourly is more consistent across the day and covers Weaverham.

Presume the 82 addition is Saturday only, as the journeys originating from John Deans have always run through to Chester, while the 17:40 departure from Northwich is still showing as only going as far as Sandiway. On Saturday the 17:30 is showing as going to Chester, and then there's a 18:55 return working.

User(s) browsing this thread: 8 Guest(s)